autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mini- pushing too hard or defective

I have both a GG6 and had a PC and tested both with 3" set up. The PC was way more stable. The GG6 is a rattle trap with a 3" bp and will vibrate your wrist to death in no time at all. When I tested those two I had my Mini, and I went right back to my Mini. I'd say the PC is good with the 3" BP. Me personally as I value my wrist and joints, I wouldn't do it on a GG6 and use it for 30-40 minutes straight and not expect major wrist pain the next day.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What pads are you using kitty ?

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for all the responses gang! I got ZERO notifications

Anyway...

This was the first time I used the machine... brand new out of the box. I used the yellow foam pad it came with, and I was using Menzerna FG400.
    I'm sure my technique with it will need some fine tuning. I may do as some of you said and get some Meg pads for it to try out, but I just wanted to see what it did out of the box.

LOL- I'm quite sure I was applying too much pressure... my go-to machine is my Flex. Hell, I tried a GG Boss the same day and I stopped that thing several times as well. Apparently I'm an animal
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this past weekend, I had a car I was working on and was trying to get finished. You can't use the mini like you use your Flex. Even though this is a smaller tool, it still has a 12mm throw and will do quite a bit of correction with minimal pressure. I use my Mini a ton for things with both 3 and 4" pads. You will need to run it at a bit higher speed then you would with a bigger machine though. It takes awhile to get used to using large throw machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Thx for all the responses gang! I got ZERO notifications

Anyway...

This was the first time I used the machine... brand new out of the box. I used the yellow foam pad it came with, and I was using Menzerna FG400.
    I'm sure my technique with it will need some fine tuning. I may do as some of you said and get some Meg pads for it to try out, but I just wanted to see what it did out of the box.

LOL- I'm quite sure I was applying too much pressure... my go-to machine is my Flex. Hell, I tried a GG Boss the same day and I stopped that thing several times as well. Apparently I'm an animal
    I know your a flex user, you do not have to apply that much pressure on a long throw orbital, it does the work for you.

You have to find the sweet spot with pressure and spinning, you have to realize

Flex 8mm

Mini 12mm is almost twice the orbit

Boss 21mm is almost 3x the orbit.

So its getting stuff done faster.

You dont have to apply as hard as pressure as you do the flex !

Post Thanks / Like

Monica-

I just got this a few months back during a special, and I haven't noticed too many problems with it on horizontal surfaces. Like the R15, I think it does suffer from stalling on vertical panels or very curvy structures.

Unlike you, I've marched up from GG to the Rupes to the Flex and then the Mini. You may be moving in the opposite: entrenched in the flex and moving to a more light weight instrument (that's probably why your bis and tris are bigger than mine!). I think you may be applying too much pressure. As you probably don't, I don't prime the pad and I use the Rupes polishes with the Rupes pads on the mini.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all again for the responses.... I'm gonna say I'm sure I was applying too much pressure. This was the first time I've used it, so there is gonna be a learning curve.
    But I figured I'd ask on here to make sure it's me and not the machine
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting feedback - please keep us posted on your progress with it as you log more time. I generally don't have an issue with pad stall on the mini. Little bugger hums at a pretty high speed so as long as you keep the pressure proportionally light for the pad size it keeps on rotating (except for in those areas where panel contour or lines prevent it). It requires very little downward pressure as do all of our polishers. Let the machine do the work, don't press down too hard.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with using little downward pressure. I've never used Flex products, but I have 3 Rupes machines and they will correct fast using very little pressure. I FG400 with the Rupes yellow is a strange combo, but might work. Menz products don't work well with Rupes pads due to solvent issues. I would stick to Rupes polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    Interesting feedback - please keep us posted on your progress with it as you log more time. I generally don't have an issue with pad stall on the mini. Little bugger hums at a pretty high speed so as long as you keep the pressure proportionally light for the pad size it keeps on rotating (except for in those areas where panel contour or lines prevent it). It requires very little downward pressure as do all of our polishers. Let the machine do the work, don't press down too hard.
    I used that little bugger today ! On a countoured jaguar hood. Man i love that thing!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast