autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth Upgrading to PC 7424XP?

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    No worries actually. Here's a link to a recent detail I did using the Flex. In fact I would argue because of the add'l cutting power you don't need to "lean into" the machine and therefore it's safer. Regardless it's a DA but with the added power of the forced rotation. If that still is a concern, look at the Rupes - but honestly I'm so happy with the Flex, I wouldn't (and not) be tempted by this new machine.

Rescuing a 2011 Black Cat - Jaguar EXTREME Makeover!
    OMG, that Jag is beautiful!! You mention leaning into the XP. Seems like the pad would definitely stop rotating if you applied that much pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

I have both, the Griots Garage 6” and the Flex 3401 as well as the Griots Garage 3”. I started with the Griots Garage 6” but was looking for a machine that would not stop rotating when traveling over convex or concave surfaces. I noticed especially on the concave area’s, I was getting very inconsistent correction results due to reduction in rotation RPM’s and sometimes rotation had even stopped. That all being said, I still use my Griots Garage 6” for finish polishing and the application of sealants and wax. The Flex 3401 is my go to machine for any correction work and if I had to chose only 1 then I would chose the Flex.

Craig
    It's all in the details.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC7242, Griots Garage 3" & 6" as we'll as the Flex 3401. A PC is a good machine that takes technique to get full paint correction. The Griots and Flex also require a good technique. If the technique is mastered the Griots and Flex will assist you in getting the job done faster.

Remember it is your choice of the route you want to go. Money does play a big part of it. A GG6" is an affordable choice in comparison to the PC

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Hi folks! ... I trimmed my 6.5" pad down to 5" and that helped a lot. Maybe it is just my imagination. ...

.. Thanks.
    after re-reading I am surprised that no one has commented on this. 6.5" pads are too big for the 7424xp also. 6.5" pads are great for beginners. I recently ordered 5.5" and 4" pads and yes it makes a huge difference. Here is an idea, If you can afford the Flex get it, keep the PC, invest in a few 5" pads for the PC and have the best of both worlds. Win Win

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ? about the 7424XP. I just ordered one of the complete kits with pads etc 5.5 inch Lake country pads. I did the upgrade to the HD model. Do you all use that one and what exactly is the difference? I think it said the cord was attached to the unit was one difference. The Porter cable site says that the 7424XP has a 3.7 amp motor. Does this have a heavy duty version? I like my cord to be attached to the unit instead of pushing an extension cord on and hopeing is doesn't fall out. I currently use an old Black& Decker 2300 Rpm Buffer that I"ve had since 1977. This will make it a lot easier to do my details. Any info would be appreciated. I'm just an old guy who likes clean cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post
    I have a ? about the 7424XP. I just ordered one of the complete kits with pads etc 5.5 inch Lake country pads. I did the upgrade to the HD model. Do you all use that one and what exactly is the difference? I think it said the cord was attached to the unit was one difference. The Porter cable site says that the 7424XP has a 3.7 amp motor. Does this have a heavy duty version? I like my cord to be attached to the unit instead of pushing an extension cord on and hopeing is doesn't fall out. I currently use an old Black& Decker 2300 Rpm Buffer that I"ve had since 1977. This will make it a lot easier to do my details. Any info would be appreciated. I'm just an old guy who likes clean cars.
    The only difference between the standard and HD 7424XP is the length of the cord. This is the same as with the GG6 which is more powerful (7 amp, 850 watts) than the XP and has a lifetime warranty.

Found a 12' 2-way, 16 guage extension at HD for $8--since it's two way the plug is small so I just taped it to the polisher cord for a permanent 22' cord which seems to be plenty long for a 2 car garage.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLucky82 View Post
    after re-reading I am surprised that no one has commented on this. 6.5" pads are too big for the 7424xp also. 6.5" pads are great for beginners. I recently ordered 5.5" and 4" pads and yes it makes a huge difference. Here is an idea, If you can afford the Flex get it, keep the PC, invest in a few 5" pads for the PC and have the best of both worlds. Win Win
    That is exactly what I am planning to do. Just found MP's article on best pads for the first generation DA's. Man this site is loaded with info! I am going to get LC 5.5" flat pads. My H&L Meg backing plate is 4.75" and has a low profile with not too much give. Should I be buying a new LC backing plate to use with the flat pads? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, that Jag is beautiful!! You mention leaning into the XP. Seems like the pad would definitely stop rotating if you applied that much pressure?
    That's true of any of the DAs polishers. You can apply enough pressure to cause the machine to halt. I'm going to guess that also true of the Rupes since it's a true DA.

Which leads us back to the Flex. It's advantage is also it's disadvantage. You cannot force that machine to stop - even with two elephants leaning hard on the unit. Personally I really like the control it gives and the ability to back off on my hand pressure and allow the machine to do all the work. People complain about the unit "walking" on them - I see that as immediate feedback & a benefit since that only occurs when the pad is not squarely against the surface. It's screaming "fix me" or I'm outta here. You get the idea - it's self teaching and for me, that's a good thing. 15-30 minutes running the Flex and you'll be a pro. It rarely happens to me now and mostly when I get distracted - but keeping it square to the paint has become second nature at this point.

I was slow coming to the Flex but now I wouldn't want anything else. I know I can correct anything and everything with the right technique, product & pads. Speaking of which, the hybrid pads are made specifically for the Flex and are awesome. Use the Flex and the hybrid pad system on that Jag btw, which has pretty soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    At the current state of the art, I would look at either the Flex 3401 or the new Rupes. I upgraded from a 7424xp to the Flex and honestly there is no comparison. Less tiring and more effective because of the forced rotation. If your budget can stand it, I would pick either one of these two machines.
    100%

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly what I am planning to do. Just found MP's article on best pads for the first generation DA's. Man this site is loaded with info! I am going to get LC 5.5" flat pads. My H&L Meg backing plate is 4.75" and has a low profile with not too much give. Should I be buying a new LC backing plate to use with the flat pads? Thanks.
    the 4.75 backing plate should work perfect with the 5 to 5.5" pads. If you feel you need more flex for some reason you can always get a different back plate at a later time but I doubt you will need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast