autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little bit of rotary shopping help.

Well ill shed some input on durability and power. I use to work in quarries repairing conveyer belts

and we used Rotary polishers to grind Rubber for many hours of the day everyday. in all weather conditions Ran heat snow -20 we tried many brands and still have most of them. We have a Mikita Hatachi dewalt milwaukee bosch ...

But for us Dewalt worked best.

this i just my input on durability and power.

Little bit of rotary shopping help.-imag0034-medium-jpg

Little bit of rotary shopping help.-imag0033-medium-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little bit of rotary shopping help.-imag0034-medium-jpg   Little bit of rotary shopping help.-imag0033-medium-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is smoke coming from the rubber

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rav777 View Post
    Richy,

Are you using the actual rotary that dynabrade manufactures, or are you talking about the Dynabrade DA/orbital attachment that screws onto a rotary polisher?

I have been looking into both, but I have always had my eyes on the Dynabrade rotary with the adjustable grips.

Thanks!
    The Dyna 51580 model is what I have and use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Looks like a nice rotary and it's made in the U.S.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Makita 9227C. I have polished/corrected hundreds of cars with it and it has proven to be a good reliable unit. I recently had the chance to hold in my hands a new DeWalt rotary and it is probably a pound lighter than the 9227C and slimmer in design. With my Makita finally showing some signs of wear, I will probably pick up a new DeWalt in the near future and rebuild the Makita as a backup unit.

As far as pads go, I have used a ton of different pads at varying sizes and shapes. I have narrowed my favorite pads down to a few.

For wool pads I like and use most often the 6 1/2" Edge 2000 wool pads. I have at least one of each grade of pad from Edge 2000. They last a good length of time, are perfectly centered every time because of the quick release system and they are double sided so I can quickly and conveniently flip them over for a fresh clean pad if I want to switch to a less or more aggressive compound on the fly.

I also like and use often the 3M SuperBuff 2+2, 9" double sided wool pad. This pad with the purchase of the required arbor extension will set you back around $50 but if you are doing serious production it is the best longest lasting wool pad on the market. I would describe it as a medium to fine cut for a wool pad and it doesn't shed at all. If you like larger wool pads this is definitely the way to go. If I really need to chop at some seriously deep oxidation or scratches/defects I use the most aggressive Edge 2000 wool pad and then follow that with the 3M SuperBuff or one of the finer Edge 2000 wool pads before moving on to foam pads for polishing and finishing.

The foam pads that I have found to work best for me are marketed as "5.5" variable contact pads for use with Flex polisher" by Poorboy's World. They actually measure at around 6.5" and they contour to curves and crowns better than any other pad for rotary use. This better contouring leads to less and not as deep marring or holograms left behind py the pad design. 9 times out of 10 I can finish hologram free with the rotary with these pads. This particular pad must be an OEM pad design by Lake Country that is offered exclusively to Poorboy's World because they are not offered anywhere else on the internet that I can find. I still have and use some of these pads that have been compounding/polishing cars regularly for over 2 years. They are absolutely the toughest best finishing rotary pads on the market and I really wish AG would carry them because I'd rather give my money to them.

For smaller pads such as 4" pads both wool and foam, Cyclo hands down has the best 4" pads. I will never again waste my money on any other 4" pads. For 3" foam pads I like Griot's Garage orange foam polising pads. I actually am not aware of any other 3" foam pad because as well as the Griot's Garage pads work, I have never been compelled to look any further.

These of course are just my oppinions and are only factual as per my own style and experience in correcting pant. I have spent over $1000 on pads to form these oppinions so these oppinions do hold some merit.

I hope this helps you decide on some things to buy and try. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Makita 9227 here too. I don't use it full time so I can't tell you what's best for that use. I'm glad that I have this machine because replacement parts are easy to get. Both plastic handle parts come apart to expose every part you may need to replace. I've had to replace a cord (my fault), and a pin for the speed wheel (my fault). I mostly use the Edge wool with it. Speed settings are really easy to select.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will most likely be buying a variety of pads from different manufacturers to see what I like best. I will definitely try the poor boys pads and the buff and shine pads richy mentioned.

All of the comments have been extremely helpful. Thank you guys very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Thanks Richy.

That looks like a really nice model. I currently have two Makita 9227 C and so far so they have been great. Then again I have used a Flex Pe, but aahhhhh I really need to save up for a better pressure washer.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like
    9227c user here. Ihave don't use it unless I need it for more correction, I'm too scared to use it as first machine at risk of burning paint. Especially cars these days where there is alot of round and corner edges

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12