autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black exterior trim, and a nasty fish smell

Im going to be doing a friends car probably next week he somehow ended up with a nasty fish smell after a cooler of fish spilled out on the carpet in the back, and he has some really faded black plastic trim, ive used another sites spray can "trim restorer" and it works well, but its very expensive im only charging 75$ for a wash,clay,polish,wax and interior... So I cant spend alot trying to restore his trim but I told him I would do my best... Im obviously no pro but ive done a pretty good job on last few (free) cars so hes my first paying customet... What do you guys use for exterior trim to make it dark again? And anyidea on fish smell?? I was thinkimg baking soda for a while let that soak up what it will.... Vac it out then spray with vinegar let that soak in and use my bissell autocare machine to try to get the rest out.... Any and all input is greatly appreciated

opie_7afe

Re: Black exterior trim, and a nasty fish smell

fish smell that would be a organic substance which imo is easier to remove in some cases. what i would do is vac, spray your carpet cleaner of choice(i use meguiars APC+ at 10:1) let dwell for a few minutes then i use a scrub brush and suck up the liquid. ive found a cleaning chemical containing some d-limonene or orange oil helps remove smells. walmart carries De-Solv-It which contains 20% d-limonene, and other citrus ingredients its 100% safe to use on everything and works great(if you can use it to wash grease out of your hair it will work for carpet!) you could try using that spray some on let it dwell for about 4-5 minutes(dont let it dry!) then do your normal carpet shampooing method. good luck!. if all else fails you might need to buy some so2pure or rent/buy a ozone generator..

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I know that will get rid of fish smell is a match and lighter fluid

Good luck on that one
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Try looking at Jondon. They have some really good products to take care of bad smells.

Post Thanks / Like

After you have thoroughly cleaned the fish smell and allowed it to dry use So2Pure to keep the smell gone! Ask Jim about it. He can give you a great testimonial.

How smooth or textured is the trim? Depending on this you can polish it back to a nice dark finish for cheap. Then slap some UTTG on it if you have it. If it's textured plastic and faded badly PERL will darken it nicely for a good price and if textured will last a good while from what I've seen on the cowl I did. Jim also has some advice for some megs product he said worked great on trim. Can't remember the name now.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    After you have thoroughly cleaned the fish smell and allowed it to dry use So2Pure to keep the smell gone! Ask Jim about it. He can give you a great testimonial.

How smooth or textured is the trim? Depending on this you can polish it back to a nice dark finish for cheap. Then slap some UTTG on it if you have it. If it's textured plastic and faded badly PERL will darken it nicely for a good price and if textured will last a good while from what I've seen on the cowl I did. Jim also has some advice for some megs product he said worked great on trim. Can't remember the name now.

Sorry but im still new here can you spell out your acronyms?? Im very interested in trying them but dont know what they are

Post Thanks / Like

you need an enzyme cleaner for the fish smell. go to a petstore and look for an enzymatic odor elminator that they use for pet urine and odors. the enzymes will break down the proteins which the smell is coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

For the fish smell, like a few other people mentioned try So2Pure by CarPro. I used the sample in my car last week and it has done a pretty good job. I deliver pizza and smoke sometimes in my car so it gets so funky smells.

As far as the trim, I would try Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. Its worked great on my car for the past 3 months and is the next best option next to dye or replacement in my opinion.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    When would you use PERL vs. UTTG? I've been using UTTG based on your recommendation and I'm very happy with it.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast