autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Renu Pro and WETS a great combo!

So our 9yr old 100k+ Urban Assault Van has seen it's fair share of sun with the impact of UV. Over the past few months including some cold winter ones, I've pretty much brought her back from the abuse and this is just an example of two products that really helped.

My apologies for not really having any before pics but I'm not always one for photographing things as I go. I'll just say the plastic trim was gray to white-ish in color and nothing OTC brought it back. Most just sealed in the damage and did nothing overall.

First I restored the color and made the trim like new with Renu Pro. Cheap and easy as heck to use. One coat is all it took. I used a 1/4" artist brush and some 2"x2" pieces of cheap MF rages to apply the product, let it sit until I was done and then began to wipe it off.

Once the trim was all wiped down, I let it dry overnight before taking it out and after the first wash/dry I applied WETS to seal it up and insure things stay good to go. Here's what I have and am VERY happy with. Total investment of about $40 and a little time.

For those not familiar with Renu here's a shot. I think the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is pretty well known here though.

Let's start with the doors. The seals along the windows were in decent shape but lacked the pop in terms of color and sheen they once had. The door edges are painted or wrapped with a satin black coating that had REALLY faded badly and turned light grey and in some areas white. I've coated this twice and am now VERY pleased as they are all 100% back to new and show no signs of ever having been neglected.

The grill below the hood has a simliar material and color and it too turned out great.

The hood cowling as most cars really took a beating and was light gray. BAM! like brand new and beads water like the hood and rest of the vehicle now. I popped the hood and pulled it all off the vehicle and reassembled it. Looks fantastic now I think.

I put some WETS on the wiper arms (yes they are painted flat black) but it really seemed to bring them back and it hasn't washed off or worn at all. I just let it sit and then wiped it off. They definitely faded and took a beating but again, like brand new now.

One of the most noticable areas of improvement and mainly because you can see the lower lip (not done yet) is the plastic that surrounds the fog lights goes across the front below the license plate. This plastic was battered and faded so bad that it looked like I had wiped wax on it and let it dry. Now it's back to new and is sealed up with WETS.

Overall, if you're in the market for a couple really good easy to use products, I highly recommend these two.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renu Pro and WETS a great combo!

Update on on durability in about 4-5 months.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Update on on durability in about 4-5 months.
    4-5 months is stretching it, IMO.

I'll be surprised if WETS' polymers have
    even "properly bonded" to the surface-film
    layer of the ReNu product.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    4-5 months is stretching it, IMO.
    Will post back updates throughout the year. Will note to do so August
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Will post back updates throughout the year. Will note to do so August
    Heheheeheeh I'd be more interested in an update on the durability of one coat of Blacklight on a black non garage kept daily driver in Florida in the middle of the summer. Oh wait I can help you on that, about 2-3 weeks
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning the same approach, as soon as this wet weather we have blows over, with the exception of Solution Finish instead of Renu Pro.

BTW, is it easy to remove that cowling? The one on my Forester is pretty easy to pull. Would make for a good repaint/powdercoating candidate should you get tired of dealing with the upkeep & fading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    I'm planning the same approach, as soon as this wet weather we have blows over, with the exception of Solution Finish instead of Renu Pro.
    I saw Solution Finish but already bought the Renu Product. Look simliar according to the videos and application process. Not familiar with how they compare though.

BTW, is it easy to remove that cowling? The one on my Forester is pretty easy to pull. Would make for a good repaint/powdercoating candidate should you get tired of dealing with the upkeep & fading.
    It was pretty easy. On the van I had to pop the wiper arms off first where on my Audi it's just a couple plastic screws and clips. The upkeep and what not should be good going forward barring any lapse where it were to get bad again. Hoping I'm able to stay on top of things.