autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    There is actually a video posted on CarPro's FB page (IIRC) where a shop was applying via HVLP gun. However; overkill imo.
    I suppose if you used it a few times per day on cars, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. I've used my HVLP gun for waterless washes. Makes quick work of applying the substance in even, generous proportions. But, with the cost of H2, I'd be worried about over applying it as well.

I used 600mL of a 1:3 dilution on 2 cars and two sets of wheels. I think that's about right.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    8-10 oz???? Thats a lot! I use maybe 4 oz of mixed solution for a large sedan...and thats paint, windows, wheels, & wheel well plastic.
    I have yet to use it for a whole car, so I was just going by what I was told earlier in the what did you do today thread.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Review & How-To: CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

Hello all,
    I want to share my experience with this product and also, this is my first post so... HELLO EVERYONE!
    My experience definitely compelled me to write a post so no one will have to go through what I did. I have a 2014 BMW 328i X Drive and it is a beautiful red color called Melbourne Red. I had received a couple samples of this product, enough to fill a 32 oz. spray bottle when properly diluted as directed. CarPro has usually impressed me with their products so I fearlessly applied per the instructions. It came out great! I loved it. The durability was impressive when you look at the ease of application, and it is really, really easy. That being said, my confidence level went way up for this and decided to offer it on a detail after I explained to the customer how awesome it was. He had been having a problem with water spots and he wanted something that would make water bead and sheet off his car.
    It was an overcast day in Columbia, SC a couple days before Valentine's day this year and he arrived in his 2012 Honda Civic SI which was a brilliant bright blue color. I had done a one step detail on it a few weeks prior and there were some stubborn water spots on the window that needed attention. I ordered some things to address them and told him if he came by, I would give a quick maintenance wash for him after eliminating the water spots on the window. He travelled frequently all over the nation and there must have been some hard water he was frequently exposed to. I washed the car via foam cannon and he had requested a glossy shampoo finish since I would be applying the silica sealant post wash cycle. Looking back, I guess my experience made me feel too comfortable applying the Hydro2 so I haphazardly washed the car using Snow Soap from CarPro with a Foam Cannon on my a pressure washer. I added some CG Glossworks to the soap mixture because I had always had good results in reglossing a vehicle the I previously had detailed. There is fine print in the instructions saying not to use "gloss" shampoos and I had apparently overlooked this.
    I always do the wheels first before I do the car. Upon finishing the wash while the vehicle was still wet, I started applying the Hydro2 just as I did to my own car. I did small sections at a time and rinsed promptly as directed. I even did the rims the end of this cycle. The sun was not out at all and it wasn't warm really at all, it was February. As I was re-rinsing the whole car to show him the sheeting and beading action it had we both noticed a haze almost that was not seeming to wash off. I grabbed a wash mitt, soaked it appropriately and tried to wipe off the hazard found out that stubborn whitish slime was over the entire vehicle and it was not coming off easily. I compare the difficulty removing it to a time when I applied Collonite945 to a vehicle and I got sidetracked and failed to remove the wax right away. I knew it would come off, Id just need some elbow grease or apply a bonnet to 6.5IN LC Yellow cutting pad and use my PC. This goop was not coming off at all, and it was all over the rims and the windows, the whole dang car! I was dumbfounded and made no excuses to him and told him I would take it off no matter what it took and I would not charge him at all for the mishap. I basically had to aggressively repolish the whole car, including windows, and re do the rims/tires. So basically a 1 hour wash and seal, turned into a 9 hour ordeal trying to remove the stubborn slime and put a sealer on it. I used BF SRC compound cause the BF finishing polish did not bite enough to remove it. Of course after using the SRC, I followed with BF FP, and sealed it up with BFWD. The bad thing also wasI never got a chance to look at the car in the daylight because I worked till after midnight trying to undo the sludge that formed on the car. I do have multiple 1000W light stands in my shop, but I always like to see the car in the daylight because it often exposes many things you just don't see when you work on a car indoors. I did the best I could and he could not wait any longer because it was really really late.
    It was a nightmare experience! The lesson I learned was read all the product information on a product, and read it often. In the past, overlooking something that causes an issue was sort of how I got experience over the years. In my younger years I found out most all the stuff not to do, lol. I was just not expecting that using a gloss shampoo, or a shampoo with gloss enhancers would be so so so unforgiving. We should never stop learning or trying to get or be better, and learning from others mistakes is always a plus since you don't have to go through bad situations yourself. I have not heard back from this gentleman, and lucky for me he did not live here long or know too many people in the area so I got lucky in that my name and reputation were not tarnished by this mishap. I was so embarrassed but learned a valuable lesson. SO PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE HYDRO2, USE IT EXACTLY AS DIRECTED, AN UNDER NOOOOOO CIRCUMSTANCES USE A CAR WASH THAT HAS ANY GLOSS ENHANCERS IN IT. I can only assume that is what caused it because that was the only small (actually BIG) thing I accidentally overlooked. Hope this does not happen to any of you! HAPPY DETAILING TO ALL and I think I will really enjoy this forum.
    GOOD DAY!
    Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review & How-To: CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant-2015-03-23-10-44-51-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Valuable lesson, thanks for sharing!
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing ^^
    I had luck using 1:5 on black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

How about spraying a section and wiping it down with a microfiber towel? Will this method work as well? Also how many applications can one get out of the 100 ml bottle? Base Tacoma.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    How about spraying a section and wiping it down with a microfiber towel? Will this method work as well? Also how many applications can one get out of the 100 ml bottle? Base Tacoma.
    does not work that way... apply to the whole car, then rinse with PW, after that then use sheeting method to sheet the water off the car. you should have very little water left ( if done correctly ) to dry. i dilute 1 to 3 and have gotten 4 uses out of a 32oz. (mixed solution) bottle. 2/dodge journey... 2/dodge charger. a strong stream of water is needed to activate the sealant after applying to the car, so the spray and wipe method is definitely out of the question. you may want to splurge and get the 500ml bottle. the 100ml bottle will allow you to dilute only one bottle of solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakeman879 View Post
    Hello all,
    I want to share my experience with this product and also, this is my first post so... HELLO EVERYONE!
    My experience definitely compelled me to write a post so no one will have to go through what I did. I have a 2014 BMW 328i X Drive and it is a beautiful red color called Melbourne Red. I had received a couple samples of this product, enough to fill a 32 oz. spray bottle when properly diluted as directed. CarPro has usually impressed me with their products so I fearlessly applied per the instructions. It came out great! I loved it. The durability was impressive when you look at the ease of application, and it is really, really easy. That being said, my confidence level went way up for this and decided to offer it on a detail after I explained to the customer how awesome it was. He had been having a problem with water spots and he wanted something that would make water bead and sheet off his car.
    It was an overcast day in Columbia, SC a couple days before Valentine's day this year and he arrived in his 2012 Honda Civic SI which was a brilliant bright blue color. I had done a one step detail on it a few weeks prior and there were some stubborn water spots on the window that needed attention. I ordered some things to address them and told him if he came by, I would give a quick maintenance wash for him after eliminating the water spots on the window. He travelled frequently all over the nation and there must have been some hard water he was frequently exposed to. I washed the car via foam cannon and he had requested a glossy shampoo finish since I would be applying the silica sealant post wash cycle. Looking back, I guess my experience made me feel too comfortable applying the Hydro2 so I haphazardly washed the car using Snow Soap from CarPro with a Foam Cannon on my a pressure washer. I added some CG Glossworks to the soap mixture because I had always had good results in reglossing a vehicle the I previously had detailed. There is fine print in the instructions saying not to use "gloss" shampoos and I had apparently overlooked this.
    I always do the wheels first before I do the car. Upon finishing the wash while the vehicle was still wet, I started applying the Hydro2 just as I did to my own car. I did small sections at a time and rinsed promptly as directed. I even did the rims the end of this cycle. The sun was not out at all and it wasn't warm really at all, it was February. As I was re-rinsing the whole car to show him the sheeting and beading action it had we both noticed a haze almost that was not seeming to wash off. I grabbed a wash mitt, soaked it appropriately and tried to wipe off the hazard found out that stubborn whitish slime was over the entire vehicle and it was not coming off easily. I compare the difficulty removing it to a time when I applied Collonite945 to a vehicle and I got sidetracked and failed to remove the wax right away. I knew it would come off, Id just need some elbow grease or apply a bonnet to 6.5IN LC Yellow cutting pad and use my PC. This goop was not coming off at all, and it was all over the rims and the windows, the whole dang car! I was dumbfounded and made no excuses to him and told him I would take it off no matter what it took and I would not charge him at all for the mishap. I basically had to aggressively repolish the whole car, including windows, and re do the rims/tires. So basically a 1 hour wash and seal, turned into a 9 hour ordeal trying to remove the stubborn slime and put a sealer on it. I used BF SRC compound cause the BF finishing polish did not bite enough to remove it. Of course after using the SRC, I followed with BF FP, and sealed it up with BFWD. The bad thing also wasI never got a chance to look at the car in the daylight because I worked till after midnight trying to undo the sludge that formed on the car. I do have multiple 1000W light stands in my shop, but I always like to see the car in the daylight because it often exposes many things you just don't see when you work on a car indoors. I did the best I could and he could not wait any longer because it was really really late.
    It was a nightmare experience! The lesson I learned was read all the product information on a product, and read it often. In the past, overlooking something that causes an issue was sort of how I got experience over the years. In my younger years I found out most all the stuff not to do, lol. I was just not expecting that using a gloss shampoo, or a shampoo with gloss enhancers would be so so so unforgiving. We should never stop learning or trying to get or be better, and learning from others mistakes is always a plus since you don't have to go through bad situations yourself. I have not heard back from this gentleman, and lucky for me he did not live here long or know too many people in the area so I got lucky in that my name and reputation were not tarnished by this mishap. I was so embarrassed but learned a valuable lesson. SO PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE HYDRO2, USE IT EXACTLY AS DIRECTED, AN UNDER NOOOOOO CIRCUMSTANCES USE A CAR WASH THAT HAS ANY GLOSS ENHANCERS IN IT. I can only assume that is what caused it because that was the only small (actually BIG) thing I accidentally overlooked. Hope this does not happen to any of you! HAPPY DETAILING TO ALL and I think I will really enjoy this forum.
    GOOD DAY!
    Jeremy
    Thanks for sharing. I was attracted to the simple application process but it is important to remember there can always be 'gotchas' with any product. I will definitely be checking my soaps if I do pursue getting this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sydtoosic View Post
    does not work that way... apply to the whole car, then rinse with PW, after that then use sheeting method to sheet the water off the car. you should have very little water left ( if done correctly ) to dry. i dilute 1 to 3 and have gotten 4 uses out of a 32oz. (mixed solution) bottle. 2/dodge journey... 2/dodge charger. a strong stream of water is needed to activate the sealant after applying to the car, so the spray and wipe method is definitely out of the question. you may want to splurge and get the 500ml bottle. the 100ml bottle will allow you to dilute only one bottle of solution.
    I ordered a little bottle to check it out. Hopefully it works like advertised. I figured if it was diluted to 1:6 I could make it a WOWA, if that's the correct term.

Post Thanks / Like

You still need a powerful stream of water to activate it. Follow the directions for dilution and application. That includes using it on cool surfaces away from direct sunlight.
    Francesco

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast