autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Protectant VS Opti Bond Tire Gel

I got both of these today but after reading the instructions, I am very confused if they are same products in different bottles.

Opti Bond Tyre Gel - It claims to be for Tires, Vinyl, Plastic and rubber. Everything except leather. Makes me wonder why did I buy the other product then. It can be applied by an applicator pad.

Protectant Plus - It claims to be for for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber & Leather. Tires are also rubber, I am guessing. The only difference between the two seems to be that this can be used on the leather. It says to spray on the surface and wipe. But to my disappointment, there is no spray head and the liquid is quite thick. Unlike OCW, the bottle does not have a dispenser. Do I buy a spray head separately or just squeeze out and apply with an applicator pad?

Please let me know if I have just been fooled by marketing and paid for the same product in different bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Protectant VS Opti Bond Tire Gel

They are definitely not the same product (although likely the active ingredient, like almost all dressings, is in the same silicone family).

The tire gel is primarily for tires and external surfaces, and has no fragrance. The Protectant Plus is primarily for internal surfaces, and has a "new car" smell, plus IIRC it has some cleaners in it. Yes, you can just use it with an applicator pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
    I got both of these today but after reading the instructions, I am very confused if they are same products in different bottles.

Opti Bond Tyre Gel - It claims to be for Tires, Vinyl, Plastic and rubber. Everything except leather. Makes me wonder why did I buy the other product then. It can be applied by an applicator pad.

Protectant Plus - It claims to be for for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber & Leather. Tires are also rubber, I am guessing. The only difference between the two seems to be that this can be used on the leather. It says to spray on the surface and wipe. But to my disappointment, there is no spray head and the liquid is quite thick. Unlike OCW, the bottle does not have a dispenser. Do I buy a spray head separately or just squeeze out and apply with an applicator pad?

Please let me know if I have just been fooled by marketing and paid for the same product in different bottles.
    If you read the product description from the store: Optimum Protectant Plus, 128 oz. Refill

Does Optimum Protectant Plus change the appearance of these surfaces to a glossy finish?
    No. There are some products that are oily and can turn these surfaces shiny temporarily. Optimum Protectant Plus brings back the original color of these surfaces and keeps the colors from fading over time.
    Optimum Protectant Plus protects your leather and vinyl by depositing UV inhibitors and hydrating oils deep in the pores while cleaners remove marring contaminants. Drying, cracking, and fading are prevented so your surfaces stay supple and uniform in color. Protectant Plus even hides scratches on your leather and vinyl so they virtually disappear. The finish is subtle, not shiny. Your dashboard, seats, and trim will be restored to their original color and finish.
    OPP is my go to for nearly all maint. customers. Quick, and no fuss. But as the marketing implies - no gloss except in the initial application, and fades to natural as it's worked in.

There are those that use it on tires, and Chris speaks of it here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lus-tires.html

If I'm not mistaken, those that use it on tires are looking for the "new tire" look, as opposed to matte, gloss, or bling looks.
    But the tire gel (OOB) is where you want to be if you want shine and durability.
    As far as rubber, maybe use it (OPP) on the weatherseal around doors and windows. I don't, but I will use Opti-Seal (OOS)on these.

Hope this helps.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I tried OPP on the dash and Opti Bond on the tires. Like the low gloss look on both surfaces. Can I experiment other way around - tire gel on the dash and OPP on the tires? I still find both products to be confusing as both claim they can be used for all interior and exterior rubber/plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Both products can be used safely on all surfaces listed on the respective labels. They are not the same product, but do produce similar results. The goal of our line is to restore surfaces to a "new" look and not a "dressed" look.

OPP uses the same UV protection and conditioners that OEM use in the production of your interior components and provides light cleaning agents.

OOB uses the same UV & ozone protection top tire manufactures use in the production of performance tires and has no cleaning agents.

Some applications will cross reference of course, but it best to use the products as intended and directed...besides, you can smell that great fragrance from OPP when it outside on the tires!