autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Compound & Polish II

I've had some rids in the hood of my black Z4 that have been bothering me so seeing how I had just received Optimum Compound & Polish II along with their MF pad I thought this could be a good test to see just how well they work on removing rids from BMW paint. The condition of the paint prior to starting the test was very glossy with a lot of depth. It had previously been done a couple of months ago using the Wolfgang twins topped with Fuzion. Which in turn also revealed the rids which were not very deep and most could only be seen with the right angle on the paint but some were on the deeper side which are the ones I concentrated on.

Let me start by saying I have a rotary and have been using one for many years and know I could have corrected this in very short order in comparision but this was to test the products with a DA which is more inline with what most people here seem to use. So on to my test using my Griots DA.

Step 1.
    Prep the pad with Polish II and add a couple more dime size drops of the polish.
    Using medium pressure and speed set at 3 I saw no difference in the rids but did see a lot of hazy develop. I was expecting the haze using a polish and the paint being so glossy so I wasn't really concerned but expected a bit more gloss.

Step 2
    Clean the pad with compressed air and use the polish with a speed setting of 5. No change. Rids along with hazing still there.

Step 3
    Knowing that this was going to be the end result on some of the rids anyway I got aggressive on them early to see if the polish could remove more uniform scratches so I wet sanded a few of the more deeper rids with 3M trizact 3000 grit. After cleaning the pad again I went to work on them and saw very little correction. Defiantly not corrected. OK so seeing the Polish II isn't going to get it done so I moved on to the Coumpound II.

Step 4
    Using Compound II I repeated the same process as above of preping the MF pad and used a speed setting of 5. Starting off with medium pressure and then finishing off with not much more pressure than the weight of the machine the wet sanding scratches were removed but left a lot of maring in the paint.

Step 5
    Prep a clean pad with Polish II and using a speed setting of 5, I went to work on the maring from step 4. The Polish II removed the maring but once again left the finish very hazy. Not good enough for a LSP for sure.

Step 6
    Now knowing the compound and polish will remove the wet sanding scratches without a problem I needed to figure out how to restore the finish I started with. I tried using Poli-Seal with the MF pad as I don't have the new GPS yet. Result was a bit more shine but defenatly lacked enough correcting ability to be happy with. The paint was still cloudy that lacked any depth. arggg!!!!!

Step 7
    Repeat all of the same processes as above and same speed settings on the other side of the hood but this time replacing the MF pad with LC CCS orange pads. Using the compound II with a orange pad the correction time was about the same but finished out with less maring. hmmmm

Step 8
    Using the Polish II with a white CCS pad corrected the maring better than the previous test with the MF pad but still not LSP ready.

Step 9
    Using a white CCS pad prepped with Poli-Seal gloss was returned but still not much depth.

Step 10
    Using a white CCS pad prepped with Wolfgangs TSR haze was returned and gloss was back.

I know I'm going to get the pictures post but I'm not really sure they would have come out to the point you could see the differences. But looking at it you could or at least I could see the differences from start to finish.

In summary. This was not a test done to any standards or controlled eviroments just me and my car in the garage with too much time. So will the new Compound & Polish II remove defects and leave a LSP ready paint? No, not at least to my standards on jet black BMW paint. I will say though if you don't have a rotary or skills to use one you can do paint correction using these products with your DA. I'm still on the fence on the MF pads though. I seemed to get just as much correction with the foam pads as I did the MF pads. I really wish I would have had flat pads to try also. So unless you just have to have the MF pads your supply of foam will get you just as good results. Neither one of them are very fast at it though so don't expect rotary speed correction with the MF pads and a DA. They may be a bit faster than the foam but not much and your going to need to do a finish step no matter which one you use with these products on black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Compound & Polish II

I think the MF pads are for designed for there Hyper Spray polish.

Traditional foam pads work best with Compound II and Polish II. I have also seen many corrections with those products with great success.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I thought so too, so i posed the question to Chris over on the Optimum forum and was told either will work fine with the MF pads. I would like to try the sprays in comparision but don't think after these results I would purchase them just to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that post a few times prior to using it on my car as the finish was very nice prior to starting and really didn't want to end up with a can of worms. To me it was hazy or some may even call it cloudy. But it wasn't LSP ready for sure. Now this was my first time using MF pads so my technique could be needing some help but I've also asked on the OPT forum for speed a pressure settings prior to starting out. But got limited response so I had to somewhat wing it. I would think there would be a bit more product support on a new system but.... I wasn't really too concerned as I have been polishing cars for a long time and know what to look for using standard procedures but the MF may be in fact a different animal.

Post Thanks / Like

It is recommended to follow PolishII with Finish Polish on dark, soft paints. Did you ever step down to a finishing pad? Sounds like you weren't working the polishII long enough and/or not keeping the compound/polish wet enough to work it long enough. Were you misting the pads before applying product/priming? That helps me work the previous versions of the comp/polishII. Starting at a low speed with compound isn't going to work it properly and can instill a significant haze that polishII may have trouble removing completely on black paint.
    Interesting to know how the OPT polishes are working with their MF pads. Did you say you compounded with the OPT polishing MF? Was that part of your problem with results?
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I would go back and try with standard pads. Also maybe you are pressing too hard to begin with?

The polish is designed to work with which pad you use. So if you want the polish to have more cut step it up. If you want it to finish well change to finishing pad.

I would maybe just call optimum and I'm sure they can help you out.

Let us know how everything goes!

Post Thanks / Like

ShaunD, A couple of points I left out in the OP were all the pads were misted prior to priming with product and during the polishing process with both products the surface was lightly misted with water which did ramp up the cutting or finishing process.

toycar18 see step 7 in the OP. I did go back to pads to see if there wa any difference. maybe a call to OPT would be better than the info from posting on their forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I read Corey's review on the GPS and that is what actually prompted me to start this thread. I did all of this last night and saw his review this morning and had different results with the PS and thought I would post my results. The new GPS must be much better than the old PS b/c there wasn't much correction with PS after the Polish II with either a MF or white CCS pad. I would really like to get this system figured out because at this point these will probably end up on the shelf if not.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Mike Phillips will chime in.

I'm curious because I just ordered the compound, polish and finish polish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast