autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro PERL

Corey,

What is the best applicator to use when applying PERL? I have foam and microfiber applicators.

Also, what do I need to do to surfaces with Megs Ult Protectant on them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicius View Post
    Great review... I must admit that 50% of my theoretical knowledge about car detailing comes from your reviews (because it allows me to buy the best products there are and use them properly). Remaining 50% comes from Mike's how-to videos

Corey does a stellar job taking in in-depth look at many of the detailing product sold here. I can honestly say Corey's pointed me in the right direction many times and save me time and expense......

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muscle View Post
    Corey,

What is the best applicator to use when applying PERL? I have foam and microfiber applicators.

Also, what do I need to do to surfaces with Megs Ult Protectant on them?
    I'm assuming you mean to remove the UPP before PERL application? I would wash them well with a microfiber towel an Apc like OPC diluted as recommended. If using a stronger cleaner would mean getting some on your lsp and you don't want to then I would wipe them with the apc sprayed directly on the towel and immediately wipe the apc off with water using a mf towel and the appropriate pressure. You may also just wash them well with the mitt and a non lsp invasive car wash and after completely dry apply the PERL. It will probably affect durability if some is left but I'm not sure. Depending on the trim material you could wipe it down with IPA before applying the PERL. Just do a test spot first with your cleaner to make sure it's safe.

For interiors try both and see what works best on a given surface. Mf might be best on many interiors.

On textured trim use foam but on smooth plastic mf might work better.
    So far on smooth I have still used foam. It should be fine since you can lightly wipe with an mf towel anyway to ensure a thin even coat.

For tires I love using a pie slice from an old polishing pad. Spray once from a distance of about a foot about every 6-18" (depending on the profile... Low profile needs very little) around the tire with a fine mister pump sprayer and immediately spread very thin with the applicator. Then let it dry as long as possible, at least 30 minutes if you can and longer if inside. Best to apply a thin coat and then continue with other detailing for awhile until dry.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Corey does a stellar job taking in in-depth look at many of the detailing product sold here. I can honestly say Corey's pointed me in the right direction many times and save me time and expense......
    Thank you Bobby . That means a lot buddy!
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 10-07-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Corey! I really do appreciate it. I've learned a great deal from your posts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to say thank you also. I am a noob to this site but enjoy reading the reviews and comments you post. I ordered PERL with my last order, along with a long list of other items, and will be washing my car tonight. I look forward to putting PERL on the convertible top to see how it looks and lasts compared to 303.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add a thanks to CeeDog....Based on his review I ordered PERL and just tried it.

As he had said, it works particularly well on tires. I diluted it 1:1 and 2light coats left the tires dark and rich looking. On interior leather at 1:5 it left a slight sheen. I have UTTG as well for exterior use, but PERL may be my favorite. It is water based which I like as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was strongly considering hyper dressing as my AIO interior/exterior dressing, but given your great results, I think I am going to give PERL a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, excellent review Corey

In my line of work these go beyond reviews and would be referred to as "white papers" with the technical knowledge, time and accuracy of same.

Incredible...and yes.. I read EVERY single word for every one of your posts in this thread! Amazing work my friend....amazing.

I know you liked the triple layered tire picture as the winning shot but I thought the picture of the backside of the mirror was the "OMGoodness" shot. I saw that picture and knew I wanted PERL on my shelves.

Thanks Corey....

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys If you feel like it I will be honored to have you guys share your experiences and thoughts in this thread no matter what they are. Love or hate, feel free to share your thoughts here if you don't prefer making a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by muscle View Post
    Thank you, Corey! I really do appreciate it. I've learned a great deal from your posts.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mlc40 View Post
    I wanted to say thank you also. I am a noob to this site but enjoy reading the reviews and comments you post. I ordered PERL with my last order, along with a long list of other items, and will be washing my car tonight. I look forward to putting PERL on the convertible top to see how it looks and lasts compared to 303.

Thanks
    I really appreciate that and it makes it worth all the effort. I am very curious to hear you results (on that specific application especially).

Quote Originally Posted by Waxmax View Post
    Just wanted to add a thanks to CeeDog....Based on his review I ordered PERL and just tried it.

As he had said, it works particularly well on tires. I diluted it 1:1 and 2light coats left the tires dark and rich looking. On interior leather at 1:5 it left a slight sheen. I have UTTG as well for exterior use, but PERL may be my favorite. It is water based which I like as well.
    Thats excellent Waxman! So happy you are enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by tw33k2514 View Post
    I was strongly considering hyper dressing as my AIO interior/exterior dressing, but given your great results, I think I am going to give PERL a try.

Most excellent, I hope you enjoy it and please post your results, love or hate.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb917 View Post
    Excellent, excellent review Corey

In my line of work these go beyond reviews and would be referred to as "white papers" with the technical knowledge, time and accuracy of same.

Incredible...and yes.. I read EVERY single word for every one of your posts in this thread! Amazing work my friend....amazing.

I know you liked the triple layered tire picture as the winning shot but I thought the picture of the backside of the mirror was the "OMGoodness" shot. I saw that picture and knew I wanted PERL on my shelves.

Thanks Corey....

Thanks a lot Mike!!! I wish I could verbalize what that means to me but just know I really appreciate it.

I often wonder what percentage of viewers read what percentage of the review. I also very often imagine that very few look at the updates so it's great to hear this!

Oh, yes! It really darkened those mirrors! I haven't seen the truck in forever to know how it held up but on that van cowl it is still their 2 months later and looks good (still about 50% of the added darkness of what was there immediately after application) which blows me away being water based. Durability seems to vary on exterior trim greatly depending on the type of plastic.

Thanks again Mike, I really appreciated your comments.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I washed and did a minor detail on my car. This is the first time I used PERL and the following are my comments on it. In the past I used AP303.

I like the convertible top to look dark black. AP303 did a great job of this but if the car would get wet I would see streaks coming down on the windows and paint. Using PERL I feel the look is about the same or maybe better. I would also say that even using PERL at a 3:1 ratio I used less product than the AP303. I will not know if the PERL streaks like the AP does for awhile but will update with the results.

I also used AP303 on the tires. This is clearly a win for PERL. My tires look dark black with nice shine, not too shiny. I used the same 3:1 ratio and put two coats on. I guess I could add another one but they look so good now I really do not feel the need.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast