autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro PERL

Quote Originally Posted by muscle View Post
    Corey,

It has been a few weeks. Which do you like better, UTTG+ or PERL?
    For tires I prefer PERL.
    For trim it depends on the trim type but in general UTTG will be my favorite until I have tested PERL on enough trim types and seen if the durability lasts as long as UTTG does. So far the PERL is looking great on that cowl test so I'll keep you updated. I'm also going to add another trim test with a tape line to get more trim results with PERL.
    Perl is able to be used on interiors as well so that is another thing to keep in mind if you don't want to purchase both UTTG and UIGP or if you like a little gloss to your an interior.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you pointed that out. For some reason I was thinking I could use UTTG on the inside too. I'm about to place an order so I think I'll try out PERL.

Post Thanks / Like

Conclusions & Updates:

4 Week Update: PERL vs. Detailers Pride (Old Tire)

This was what the old cracked tire looked like immediately after application.

And after 4 weeks/ 1000 miles / parked outside 24/7… the first 2 of those 4 weeks had a lot of rain and they were driven in the rain multiple times.

Immediately After Application

4 Weeks Later

Video: 4 Week Update

4 Week Update: PERL on Skybaby Tires

Looks great! The tires on my Sky rarely get wet except during her washes and that holds true here. They have not been driven in rain. She has only been driven on the weekends… About 70 miles yesterday… Top speed I brought her to was130 mph.

Total miles since application: 150 +/-.
    Time since Application 4 weeks

Conclusion:

-Exterior Trim-

For exterior trim I do not yet have a conclusion since I’ve only been able to keep tabs on one vehicle where it was used on trim. I started another test today that will give us further insight. I will say on the textured trim where I’ve been watching it for 6 weeks now it has faded some but still looks good. That vehicle is outdoors 24/7

-Tires-

(For outdoor daily driver type vehicles)

Using the method of 1:1 application and 2 thin layers applied as previously specified I am seeing about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks of the tires still looking good. This is assuming a few rainstorms. Without rainstorms I assume the tires would look great beyond 2 weeks

(For Garage Queens)

There just isn’t a question what you should be using on the tires imo.

Summary:

Durability: PERL does not outperform UTTG or WGETS in durability.

Price: PERL is cheaper then UTTG and UTTG cheaper than WGETS.

PERL darkens badly faded textured trim more than other products I’ve used.

PERL does not leave any runs in it from rain like some of the x black x and restorer products do.

Tires: UTTG will last longer on tires but the very dark black that PERL offers when applied with the method I use just can’t be beat. If the vehicle doesn’t see rain (for instance your garage queen) PERL looks the same to me now as it did 4 weeks ago.

Engines: On engines I believe UTTG to be superior in durability, for one because of its ability to withstand 500 degrees F. I am not positive what temperature PERL holds up to but so far it still looks great on the engine plastic I’ve used it on. PERL can be a touch faster to apply to more intricate engine components.

Interiors: PERL can be used on interior as well. After using it on my Sky I thought I wouldn’t be using it again on her just because I love the feel of UIGP but when we were out the other day I was looking at the way the PERL darkens the interior and I really like it. UIGP is still my favorite product for my Sky but PERL will be used on my Sky again in the future from time to time.

Other interiors I do PERL will probably see 50% of them. For interior products it has replaces all my other dressings except UIGP. For anyone that wants a darker look than UIGP offers I would recommend PERL. For anyone that wants the completely dry to the touch and soft cashmere feel of UIGP I would recommend that.

I think anyone that is using 303AP would be ecstatic if they switched to PERL.

PERL is a jack of all trades. For me it is a master of tires and in my top 2 for interiors, engines, and textured exterior trim.

Oh btw, I finally got the smell today. It does smell like apples! It took me long enough but I see it now.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Insanely awesome review Corey! It looks like a really good product and if it weren't for UTTG & UIGP, I'd buy this. I just love UTTG & UIGP too much to let them go!!!
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Insanely awesome review Corey! It looks like a really good product and if it weren't for UTTG & UIGP, I'd buy this. I just love UTTG & UIGP too much to let them go!!!

Thanks Enrique! For the price get some for your tires You can try it elsewhere as well but a bottle of this will last you longer than a gallon of some products on your tires.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Corey....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review... I must admit that 50% of my theoretical knowledge about car detailing comes from your reviews (because it allows me to buy the best products there are and use them properly). Remaining 50% comes from Mike's how-to videos
    Just a quick question... why wouldn't you use opti-coat 2.0 or Cquartz for coating the exterior trim? I thought it would be much more durable than PERL (which I bought a few days ago together with opti-coat 2.0, planning to use PERL for tires and interior only)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think I just may pick some up with my next order. Your endorsement is good enough for me.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Thanks for the update Corey....
    My pleasure Troy

Quote Originally Posted by wicius View Post
    Great review... I must admit that 50% of my theoretical knowledge about car detailing comes from your reviews (because it allows me to buy the best products there are and use them properly). Remaining 50% comes from Mike's how-to videos
    Just a quick question... why wouldn't you use opti-coat 2.0 or Cquartz for coating the exterior trim? I thought it would be much more durable than PERL (which I bought a few days ago together with opti-coat 2.0, planning to use PERL for tires and interior only)
    That means a lot to me! I appreciate it greatly.

Well, OC and CQ haven't particular impressed me on trim. You are right that they should be much more durable but it just doesn't seem like they do much to trim for me. If the trim is faded at all they certainly don't restore are darken it in my experience. On some plastic materials it might be great for protecting it as long as it's in good condition to start with.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Yeah, I think I just may pick some up with my next order. Your endorsement is good enough for me.
    I appreciate that! Let me know what you think

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

That was a great finish to a well played review. (Im just not sure why you compared PERL to Dr Pepper)
    Jim

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast