autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: CarPro Wool Wash Mitt

Review: CarPro Wool Wash Mitt

First things first:
    If you have issues with the larger images in this thread causing you not to be able to view the full thread without scrolling... complete the following 3 steps one time and moving forward you won’t have issues. (In this thread here) ->> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post504404

If the switch I have made to larger images has caused you to want to click away please leave a comment for me to let me know.

Introduction:
    Since I began dedicating a good portion of my time to detailing I have used Microfiber chenille wash mitts as my main wash media on most occasions. A couple months ago I decided (on recommendation from Tad) to purchase a CarPro wool wash mitt. I was due for a new wash mitt for Sky and figured I’d give it a shot. I need to make a point of something important before I go further. Almost all the tips on caring for this mitt were taught to me by Tad and he deserves more credit than myself for this review.

Partial Product Description (from AG):
    The Car Pro Wool Wash Mitt is designed for extra gentle luxurious washing. Made of 100% Merino wool, the CarPro Wool Wash Mitt pampers your vehicle while safely removing dirt. The unique mitt design makes it easy to control and fun to use!

Details:
    01.- Packaging: N/A

02.- Directions: Really? J
    03.- Texture: Extremely soft

04.- Color: White with black backing for your hand
    05.- Cost - $19.99
    06.- Manufacturer: CarPro
    07.- Made in: Unknown

00-Compared to other Wool Mitts

Here we have the focus of our review next to a bunch of other wool mitts from Tads collection. Tad has a large selection of wool mitts and I do not. Therefore this picture was copied from Tads Introduction to the CarPro mitt. Thank you Tad!

01-Upon Receipt

Here is how the mitt appeared as I pulled it from the bag it came in a few months ago.

02-Pocket Design

For those that like to be able to get in and out of the mitt without using your other hand this is a great feature. For instance: with the mitt on a horizontal panel you can easily remove your hand with no effort whatsoever. At the same time the mitt never slips off on it’s own.

03-Pocket Design

Another benefit of this design is the pocket doesn’t rob wash solution at each visit to the bucket. The stitching of this hand pocket appears to be quite durable.

04-After A Few Uses

05-In Use

Video: CarPro Wash Mitt In Action

06-Drying

After using and rinsing clean: Unlike other quality wool wash mitts that should be turned inside out to dry the hide as well (not always an easy process) this mitt is simply swung for a minute using centripetal force to remove the excess water from it. Then it is placed on a grit guard (preferably upside down).

07-Proper Care

When your mitt is completely dry use a pet brush (similar to what is pictured below) to brush it out and then stow it in a clean place for its next use. Be gentle and use a brush that has sufficient spacing between the bristles. It is normal to experience a little hair loss. J But there is no need to over brush your mitt

Pros:
    1.- Easy on/off but dependable backing for your hand

2.- Super thick pile
    3.- Paint Safe – Very soft
    4.- Easy Rinse - Particles collected by the fibers are easily released

???
    1.- Durability - Stitching and backing appears extremely durable and this belongs in the pro section but I’ve only had the mitt a couple months do in good conscience I can’t prove its durability.
    2.- Extra effort - required to properly care for any merino wool mitt but this one is easier to care for than similar mitts. I rather enjoy giving it a quick brush after its dry.
    3.- Versatility - In my opinion not the best option for the average filthy vehicle (But I did not try)

Cons:
    1.-Price

Final Observations and Summary:
    An excellent product for well cared for cars. While I didn’t go crazy over the RG wash mitt (I still need to give it another try) I did go crazy over the CarPro mitt for specific use on my Sky. I enjoyed it so much I will probably purchase another in case they are taken off the market at some point. This has become my dedicated Skybaby wash mitt for the horizontal panels and all but the lower 12”-18” of the vertical panels.

I also purchased a RG wool wash mitt (from my friend Heath) at about the same time I acquired my CarPro mitt. They are not comparable as they act very differently but I got a feel for what its like to use another popular wool mitt. The backing of the CarPro Mitt is a key part of its design! This aids in how simple it is to remove your hand from the mitt while also restricting the mitt from coming off your hand without consent.

Special thanks to Tad for the recommendation and for all the tips on how to properly care for this type of mitt.

Thanks for viewing. Comments & questions are appreciated

This is a car care thread so I will take this opportunity to share a picture of a car with you as well. J

This picture was actually taken a couple weeks after its wash but this thread is in desperate need of a picture of a car.

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: CarPro Wool Wash Mitt

Corey, another fantastic professional level review. I like how slow and gentle you wash sky, seems like she likes the light touch

Could you go into a bit more detail about not having to wash out the mitt and how well it releases dirt into the rinse bucket?

I thing this product is going to make it's way into my cart if I can find a free shipping window to buy a few products this week. I really like how thick the pile is on that wool, it looks very soft and gentle.

Also the care instructions are just another way your reviews are a cut above, great information to have.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Corey, another fantastic professional level review. I like how slow and gentle you wash sky, seems like she likes the light touch

Could you go into a bit more detail about not having to wash out the mitt and how well it releases dirt into the rinse bucket?

I thing this product is going to make it's way into my cart if I can find a free shipping window to buy a few products this week. I really like how thick the pile is on that wool, it looks very soft and gentle.

Also the care instructions are just another way your reviews are a cut above, great information to have.

Thanks a lot Bill! And thanks for helping me clarify.

Well, an mf chennille mitt is excellent at grabbing dirt (as you know). But in the same way it grabs the dirt it also wants to hold onto it a bit. I am not really comfortable just washing an mf mitt in a rinse bucket, so I always spray it out with a hose and actually stopped using a second bucket when I only use a mf mitt.

In contrast this CarPro mitt releases the dirt much easier from its fibers and doesn't seem to be built for spraying with the hose to rinse it out (during the wash anyway) Instead I place it in the rinse bucket and move it straight up and down and the dirt seems to come free from the fibers easily without being forced further into the plush pile. Of course keeping in mind I am only using the CP mitt on a well cared for vehicle.

In short I believe the mf mitt is better at grabbing bonded dirt but worse at releasing it.

After I am done with the mitt and before I swing the water from it I do spray it out with the hose.

-Edit-
    Also of note to all:

Al (Bunky) brought up a great point but unfortunately I can't edit my reviews on AG.

-Consider this an amendment-

Cons:
    2.-Only one washing surface (You can't flip the mitt)
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 07-16-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I only use wool mitts right now. I use to us MF mits but found that it held dirt and was hard to rinse. I wanted to try the car pro to see how I like it compared to my others. I just picked up a GTechniq mitt to try and it's made of the same wool.

Why do you brush out the mitt? Did you have to do much prep before you used it (removing burrs and stickers from the wool)?

Post Thanks / Like

I want one...!!!! I love my Schmitt,,, Chennel MF (however you spell it) grabs on bumpers, fenders and all sorts of places (no longer use) I do have several Lambs wool mitts.........but, I gots to get me one of these
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good quality mitt and I really like the way your hand just slides in with no wrist band....thats a huge plus for me.

I have a Wookies Fist and the care for long haired wool mitts is a bit of a PITA but I feel it is worth it for those delicate vehicles that some of us baby.

Nice review and now in my wish list! BTW I think $20 is reasonable!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

This review deserves an evening
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always! I've been eyeing that mitt for a while!

Quick question: I noticed in the video that you washed half the hood, including a bit of the front grille (and the vent on the hood), and went back and forth many times, all w/o going to the rinse bucket (or rinsing mitt with hose). Is this because the car was relatively clean to begin with? If had more caked on dirt would you have done just one or two passes before rinsing the mitt?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review Corey ,
    few things to comment...
    we made the WWM one side only because the idea is to rinse it without pulling your hand out and just squeeze it with your palm.
    the long wool hair is to ensure less possible swirling the paint even if the car is very dirty
    the dirt will get trapped into the wool but less possible to "return" back to car surface. and as you saw will be easy to wash the dirt off the wool hair.

also, we made it one side wool because of the water/soap absorbing , while other wool wash gets very heavy on your hand and consume allot, with our ..lets say its half the total weight.

thank you
    Avi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Very nice review Corey ,
    few things to comment...
    we made the WWM one side only because the idea is to rinse it without pulling your hand out and just squeeze it with your palm.
    the long wool hair is to ensure less possible swirling the paint even if the car is very dirty
    the dirt will get trapped into the wool but less possible to "return" back to car surface. and as you saw will be easy to wash the dirt off the wool hair.

also, we made it one side wool because of the water/soap absorbing , while other wool wash gets very heavy on your hand and consume allot, with our ..lets say its half the total weight.

thank you
    Avi

Good point, Avi......my Wookies Fist sucks up a lot of the wash solution with only one side being useful......hmmmmm I need one of these soon!
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast