autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Born to be Mild Car Shampoo

Intro.
    I was always skeptical of the Dodo Juice wash BTBM, but finally decided to give it a try as it was highly recommended by some of the forum members (especially Mark and Jim). The thing that keeps coming up on the AGO forum is its insane dilution ratio of 800:1, and its lubricity. The BTBM is a maintenance wash and claims no gloss enhancers for a streak free finish.

Product Description (From AG website):
    Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo is a pH-neutral maintenance shampoo with good cleaning and foaming properties - plus high lubricity to help prevent wash-induced swirls. Born to be Mild contains no wax or gloss enhancers so you can use it on glass without streaking. Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo preserves existing wax to keep your vehicle looking its best.

Product Claims (From package and AG website):
    1. Good cleaning and foaming properties.
    True. Cleans very well, and foams as much as any suds-fiend could wish. This is especially surprising considering the dilution.
    2. High lubricity.
    True. Probably some of the highest lubricity of any wash I have yet to use. It is definitely on par with the lubricity of WG Auto Bathe. The thing that makes it a notch above the WG is the cost per wash and dilution! No swirled induced.
    3. Contains no gloss enhancers for cleaning glass without streaking.
    True. The fact that this contains no gloss enhancers, IMO, makes the threshold for towel drying a bit longer. Streaking can occur on both glass and paint when using a boutique or other gloss enhancing wash. This usually occurs because the car isn’t dried immediately, or quick enough. BTBM makes this wash very user friendly.
    4. Does not strip wax.
    True. It did not strip my LSP. In fact made it look better.

Product Observations:

1.Packaging: Clear plastic bottle with black push cap. The label is colorful and artistic.
    2.Color: Purple.
    3.Texture: Like syrup.
    4.Scent: Wild berries?!? (Smells like berry scented kids shampoo from back in the day!)
    5.Ease of use: Very, very easy. The absence of gloss enhancers, as well as the ridiculous lubricity provides the consumer with one of the easies washes out there.
    6.Cost:250ml: $16.99 500ml: $24.99
    7.Country of origin: United Kingdom
    http://www.autogeek.net/born-to-be-mild-shampoo.html
    http://www.autogeek.net/born-to-be-mild-500.html

Other Products used:
    http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-microfiber-towels.html
    http://www.autogeek.net/the-bone.html
    Water
    5 gallon bucket
    Hose
    Spray nozzle

Process.
    You can fill the bucket up any way you want. Either way, I tried to make sure I was using about 0.6oz for a 3 gallon wash. There are all kinds of ways to fill a bucket up. I will showcase the two simplest methods.

About 0.6oz.

First, my least prefered method; adding water to the wash.

Now for my prefered method; adding the wash to the water.

For the review, I used my preferred method of washing; one bucket, top down.
    Now for some befor and after shots!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Born to be Mild Car Shampoo

I thought it was worth noting how cleanly the wash rinses off! Quite amazing to be honest.

Final thoughts.
    While BTBM is an immense value and a great over all maintenance wash, I still remain bias towards the WG because I prefer the gloss enhancers. That being noted, I still believe this wash is in a class of its own. Definitely one of the best I’ve used. The highlights of the wash are the lubricity and cleaning power. I will make a note of, however, that I washed an unmaintained Corolla with BTBM and the results were nowhere near that of the very well maintained S10. So it is important, IMO, to use this exclusively as a maintenance wash.

Don’t take my comments the wrong way. This is one of my favorites. BTBM beats out all other washes I’ve used except WG Auto Bathe, but that is not to say that I think WG Auto Bathe is better. Its apples and oranges to me… I will have to try the other Dodo Juice washed in the Future, especially the Supernatural.

Post Thanks / Like

IF you like BTBM Shampoo but want gloss enhancers and worry about streaking with other shampoos that include them you should give Dodo juice Sour power a try.

Also a nice review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phinox View Post
    IF you like BTBM Shampoo but want gloss enhancers and worry about streaking with other shampoos that include them you should give Dodo juice Sour power a try.

Also a nice review
    Thanks and thanks, thats what I was thinking. I'll probably pick that up after I get rid of all of these washes I have. I wouldn't mind finding a gloss enhancing wash that I prefer over WG.(especially if it's way cheaper!)

Post Thanks / Like

You should probably hide now until Mark reads this. I'll tell you when it's safe to come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    You should probably hide now until Mark reads this. I'll tell you when it's safe to come out.
    Why? Just cause I like gloss enhancing products? Mark gives some great feedback, and I'm sure he understands personal preference as well as anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. When you comment on cleaning power, did you have to go over an area several times to clean the Corolla? What is your criteria?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Nice review. When you comment on cleaning power, did you have to go over an area several times to clean the Corolla?
    Yup! It was probably because the lsp gone. One wash was not enough. I had to go back and scrub thas bad areas over. The Corolla just needs a good wash and wax.

However, the Corolla's finish was not maintained, and BTBM is a maintenance wash, so it isn't a big deal. Worked great on the maintained S10; which hadn't been cleaned in two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Ted. I'm going to purchase some this week. The dilution rate is incredible!!!
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Ted. Your reviews are certainly some of the best out there! You made very many good points especially about the Non-gloss enhancing properties. Altho personally I find it to have cleaning power right up there with the best of them. I judge cleaning power of a shampoo on how it dissolves and removes road grime/film, bugs, tar and the general feel after vehicle has been washed. The cleaning power of a shampoo I feel is also wash media dependant! I find BTBM to be very gentle on delicate waxes such as Souveran! I'm glad you liked it!
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast