autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Danase Dirt Dropper (AG should get these)

Hey guys, I just got in an order from Bob at Danase and thought I'd share my new joy with you.

Danase Dirt Dropper:

Pros: The Dirt Dropper expands on the GritGuard idea, but adds a little innovation. It is made from a much more durable material, has a side scrubber area, a lower stance in the bucket, and attachment to the bucket to prevent floating are the improvements on our old proven friend.

Cons: I'm having to reach to find the drawbacks, but I do see a couple (even though they wouldn't keep me from buying another one. If you don't want to attach it to the bucket, it floats just like the GG and I like to use 3.5 gallon buckets instead of 5 gallon ones, so I cannot attach it to my preferred bucket. One other thing is that it sits on legs instead of fins like the GG, I think that may allow more dirt to be stirred back up into the solution.

It sits lower and thus wastes less water!

GG:

DD: 1/4 gallon less!

Still Floats

Not for long:

Now I'm in business:

Overall I am very pleased with it. Very good construction and much needed innovation make this a good fit for me. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: Danase Dirt Dropper (AG should get these)

Way to keep you eyes open, thanks for the info.
    "The only thing that hurts more than paying an income tax is not having to pay an income tax." --Thomas Robert Dewar

Post Thanks / Like

We actually had one of those in our office last month for review, thing about them is you have to screw a hole in your bucket to mount it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    We actually had one of those in our office last month for review, thing about them is you have to screw a hole in your bucket to mount it.
    That has proven to be a plus in my case. It keeps the guard in the bottom of the bucket and allows you to rub your media against it without using one hand to hold it still. I know we all take good care of our cars, but I'm not too sentimental about my buckets

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought one on the basis of the review and like it a lot - money well spent. The hole in the bucket was near the top and was zero trouble. A tiny rubber washer was even included, although not necessary unless you fill your 5 gallon buckets to the rim.

Also, continued great service from Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    yeah, that's too much of a hassle. a grit guard and one of these should do...

Grit Guard, meet the Mitt Scrub - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no engineer but I'm guessing the fins of the GG are crucial since (as you mentioned) it prevents the grime from swirling up into the clean water. The fins creating the stagnant portion of the wash water at the bottom to allow for the grit to settle and stay at the bottom seems important.
    James

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
    I'm no engineer but I'm guessing the fins of the GG are crucial since (as you mentioned) it prevents the grime from swirling up into the clean water. The fins creating the stagnant portion of the wash water at the bottom to allow for the grit to settle and stay at the bottom seems important.
    They might be crucial for the Grit Guard, but I haven't found that to be the case with the Dirt Dropper.

With the GG, you induce swirling water, since that's the only way you can get your mit clean. Given that many people swirl/scrape their mits against the grit guard itself, the mit comes pretty close to the dirt at the bottom.

With the Dirt Dropper, the motion is more up and down against the washboard, and the mit doesn't come close to the bottom.

I've thought about zip-tying a piece of milk jug plastic between the legs of the Dirt Dropper to add fins, but it really seems superfluous in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a sweet idea: what about a bucket with a washboard-textured surface on it's inside surface? That plus a GG = perfection!
    James

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    yeah, that's too much of a hassle.
    I found it to be about 3 on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being something else really easy...

Then again, I did have to employ an electric drill for the task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast