autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish

Review: McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish
    McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, headlight restoration

Description: (Taken from AG's website)

Restores optical clarity to plastic headlight lenses, increasing nighttime visibility

McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish is a one-step cleaner, compound and polish for plastic headlight lenses. Formulated using an advanced blend of micro and diminishing abrasives, McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish makes multi-step headlight polishing systems obsolete. In one simple step you’ll be able to restore yellowed, dull, faded plastic headlight lenses to like-new condition, increasing nighttime visibility and reducing glare.

Headlights are supposed to shine bright so you have a clear view of the road at night. If you drive a vehicle that was manufactured in the last 30 years, it most likely has headlight lenses that are constructed out of polycarbonate plastic. Polycarbonate plastic, while extremely durable and resilient against abrasion and impact, has poor resistance to UV rays, causing it to yellow and fade overtime, reducing visibility at night. McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish gently polishes away the dull, faded layer of plastic to restore optical clarity so you can see clearly!

McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish is comprised of ultra-fine micro and diminishing abrasives that gently polish away imperfections in polycarbonate headlight lenses. By utilizing such an advanced abrasive, there is no need to use a second finer polish to optimize clarity; McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish cleans, compounds and polishes in one step!

McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish is the only product you need to restore the headlight lenses on your vehicle. In one simple step it:
    Cleans by removing the embedded dirt and grime that washing doesn’t.
    Compounds using micro and diminishing abrasives that quickly and effortlessly remove years of discoloration and yellowing, revealing a clear lens.
    Polishes with the help of ultra-fine abrasives that further refine the surface, optimizing clarity while increasing vehicle safety.
    McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish can be applied with a drill, rotary or dual action polisher. Simply equip your machine with the proper wool or foam cutting pad and within minutes your vehicle’s plastic headlight lenses will look brand new. McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish is easy to wipe off and its zero-dusting formula ensures your paint and clothing aren’t covered in dust after use.

Price:

$14.99 for 4oz
    $24.99 for 8oz

Introduction:

This review will be short and sweet. I just want to showcase how good this product works.

Review:

Here's a picture of the product description and instructions:

Here are pictures of the headlight's original condition. As you can see, it's already yellowing from the oxidation.

For this review, I decided to use my Rupes 15Mk2 along with a white polishing pad. Here's a picture of how the product looks when applying it to the foam pad. As you can see, the product is very thick.

Start polishing the headlight lens like how you would paint:

Here are some 50/50 shots:

Here is the same headlight after it's all done:

Let's move on to the other headlight. Here's the before shot:

And after:

Thoughts and Observations:

The product is very thick and viscous as you can see in the picture above.

The product smells like gasoline. It honestly smells exactly like Wolfgang Uber Compound or Menzerna FG400. Maybe this is the same product as those? I don't know...

The product has a normal buffing cycle like your traditional compounds and polishes.

Wipe off is easy as well.

Price is a little too steep for my tastes. I think a strong compound can achieve the same results as this product.

Conclusion:

This product works well as advertised. It removes yellowing and oxidation from headlight lenses. I'm sure this can remove sanding marks that's used on the headlights as well. It will definitely help improve your night time visibility and safety.

Hope you enjoyed this short review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish

Yes I also agree with the cost aspect. I use abrasive compounds, polishing compounds and at times an AIO. The real problem is not getting them to look new but keeping them that way for a long period of time. I have tried a lot of products but nothing has lasted longer than 3-4 months. Maybe the real solution is clear coating.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful review as always Marc!

I wonder what is different in the chemical makeup between a headlight polish that is designed for use on headlights/plastics as opposed to using a paint polish on headlights.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review and photos Marc! Looks like a brand new Miata now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Beautiful review as always Marc!

I wonder what is different in the chemical makeup between a headlight polish that is designed for use on headlights/plastics as opposed to using a paint polish on headlights.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks a lot Mike!! I appreciate it.

I wonder that too.

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Nice review and photos Marc! Looks like a brand new Miata now.
    Thank you so much Haris!!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

understanding how this differs from a standard compound or polish would be really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Yes I also agree with the cost aspect. I use abrasive compounds, polishing compounds and at times an AIO. The real problem is not getting them to look new but keeping them that way for a long period of time. I have tried a lot of products but nothing has lasted longer than 3-4 months. Maybe the real solution is clear coating.

Dave
    There are a couple headlight sealants out there. I wonder if a product like that or a paint/surface coating would be required to keep that yellowing from coming back quite so fast.

I experienced the same thing on an older Toyota we used to own. I'd polish the lenses clear with Meguiars PlasticX, but after 2~3 months you couldn't even tell I'd done the work.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Marc! Thanks for sharing my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    There are a couple headlight sealants out there. I wonder if a product like that or a paint/surface coating would be required to keep that yellowing from coming back quite so fast.

I experienced the same thing on an older Toyota we used to own. I'd polish the lenses clear with Meguiars PlasticX, but after 2~3 months you couldn't even tell I'd done the work.

I tend to lightly sand most of the ones I do and then buff. I have a headlight sealant that I've been using that I get locally (not sold here) and then I top that with either a paint sealant or many times just a coating. Ones I've done upwards of a year ago are still going strong. One of them is my nieghbor next door so I see his every day. He tends to only wash his vehicle once every couple months too. Go figure. It sits out in his drive too. Happy so far.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I tend to lightly sand most of the ones I do and then buff. I have a headlight sealant that I've been using that I get locally (not sold here) and then I top that with either a paint sealant or many times just a coating. Ones I've done upwards of a year ago are still going strong. One of them is my nieghbor next door so I see his every day. He tends to only wash his vehicle once every couple months too. Go figure. It sits out in his drive too. Happy so far.
    Good to know, thanks! I've got a car that's about 8 years old now with headlights which are starting yellow and haze in a couple spots. It won't be long before I have to start restoring them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast