autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How bad are these swirls? 1-step or 2-step req?

So I am a newb to polishing and want to do away with all the swirls on my dark blue Daily Driver F-150 but I am unsure if my swirls are mild, moderate, or severe.

After a slew of research and help from you guys and this site, I bought a HD GG 6" with a 5" and 3" BP. Purchased several orange and several white lake country flat pads in both sizes. I am going to stick with Meguiars Ultimate Line (Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, Swirl-X) with a LSP of Ultimate Wax.

My question, taking into account that I will want to perform test spots to finalize the ultimate combination of product and pad... from the attached pictures (random spots on truck) what are your thoughts?

Will I need a two step (UC and UP)? Could I get away with only Swirl-X or even the lightest UP alone before my LSP? Or would Meguiars Re-conditioning cream suffice allowing me to do a One-Step?

I appreciate your help as I am trying to give my "patient" GF an estimate of time I will require this Saturday LOL.... and I would like an idea of which products I should purchase and have on hand for my test spots (trying to avoid buying every product Meguiars makes in preparation.

Thanks guys.

additionally, and again thanks to the individuals on this site, I will be prepping with nanoskin and iron-x.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How bad are these swirls? 1-step or 2-step req?-1-jpg   How bad are these swirls? 1-step or 2-step req?-2-jpg   How bad are these swirls? 1-step or 2-step req?-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How bad are these swirls? 1-step or 2-step req?

Ditch the Megs and get HD Cut, Polish and Poxy in the 16 oz sizes and you'll be good to go for quite a while and not break the bank.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

D151 Recon Cream should kick those swirls butts with an orange pad but start out with a white pad and see if it will work.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Test spot with ultimate polish and then go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with UP and a white pad and do 5 or 6 passes. If you're not happy with that, move to a new spot and try UP with an orange pad. Not enough? Try another spot with UC and a white pad. If that doesn't do it, move up to UC and an orange pad on another spot. One of these combinations should do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the responses everyone.

So is it safe to assume my swirl marks are considered "mild"?

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    D151 Recon Cream should kick those swirls butts with an orange pad but start out with a white pad and see if it will work.
    So Meguiars reconditioning cream could work? If I went with an orange pad, would I want to follow up with a white?

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Ditch the Megs and get HD Cut, Polish and Poxy in the 16 oz sizes and you'll be good to go for quite a while and not break the bank.
    I wanted to stick with Meguiars since it is over the counter and it is my Daily Driver but, are the HD products that much better that they are worth the investment?

Again, I know I will have to do test spots I am just looking for everyone's thoughts on the best products (based on the severity of my swirls) to have on hand to guarantee I can get them knocked out without having to run to the store or pause for a week while I wait for additional products.

Keep the advice coming, love the experienced advice.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Cut and Polish topped with Poxy on a 2009 Altima. The clears like glass, reflective glass.

Speed and Poxy:

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

HD is a great product, so are the Meguiars products you are looking at. If you are doing your own cars and thats it then stick with the UC/UP combo you want. D151 on an orange pad if used correctly (till the product is almost gone each section) wont need a finishing step as it is an AIO all in one.

D151 is not available OTC as you said was important to you so go with the UP suggestions you got above.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    HD is a great product, so are the Meguiars products you are looking at. If you are doing your own cars and thats it then stick with the UC/UP combo you want. D151 on an orange pad if used correctly (till the product is almost gone each section) wont need a finishing step as it is an AIO all in one.

D151 is not available OTC as you said was important to you so go with the UP suggestions you got above.
    Thanks DCJREDLINE. I am only doing my own cars and this will be my first polish so I am hoping the Meguiars is also more NEWB friendly.

I want the over the counter easiness so I will be going with UC/UP.

So would everyone say my swirls are Mild or Moderate?

Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that it looks typical lol. But go with the test spot and see how the paint responds.

You may also want to pick up M205 instead of UP. It's a bit more versatile and can be picked up locally at many auto parts stores as well as harbor freight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast