autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Problems with PC 7424XP

To start, I have only used this machine less than 10 times since purchasing two years ago.

I have been correcting an F150 for the last couple days, and yesterday the machine developed a more intense vibration and noise as compared to the usual shaking and noises the PC's are famous for. It sounds like a bunch of rocks crashing together (again, much more so as compared to new) and power seems to slow down intermittently. It's was 95 degrees out yesterday and I was worried that it may have overheated.
    I just went out and started to correct a new panel and the machine was smooth for all of 3 minutes and the problem is even more apparent today. I feel like it's about to die but before it does I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about what could cause this issue and if there is anything that I can service on the machine.
    I have always used the proper gauge and length heavy duty extension cords.
    To say that I am disappointed is an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problems with PC 7424XP

I've owned a few of the PC 7424 & 7424XP over the years and have never dealt with any of the shaking/noises you mentioned.

In your case it sounds like it's the motor. Could be wiring, but it's obviously only happening once it gets warmed up.

Time to do some shopping. Cheapest I've found is $119.00 all over the net.
    Not sure where you're located but, this is a pretty good find.
    Automotive Detailing Equipment Polisher Porter Cable 7424XP
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post
    To start, I have only used this machine less than 10 times since purchasing two years ago.

I have been correcting an F150 for the last couple days, and yesterday the machine developed a more intense vibration and noise as compared to the usual shaking and noises the PC's are famous for. It sounds like a bunch of rocks crashing together (again, much more so as compared to new) and power seems to slow down intermittently. It's was 95 degrees out yesterday and I was worried that it may have overheated.
    I just went out and started to correct a new panel and the machine was smooth for all of 3 minutes and the problem is even more apparent today. I feel like it's about to die but before it does I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about what could cause this issue and if there is anything that I can service on the machine.
    I have always used the proper gauge and length heavy duty extension cords.
    To say that I am disappointed is an understatement.
    what's the warranty on the XP? three years?

EDIT: "This Porter-Cable tool is backed by three-year limited warranty covering any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship (from the date of purchase). It's also covered by Porter-Cable's one-year free service contract, where Porter-Cable will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal use--for free."
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PC I would check the gauge extension wire you are using. Make sure it is a heavy duty wire. On top of that have a surge protector too. IMO it appears your PC is heating up because of the different gauge or the cord you have it hooked up to is not heavy duty or too weak.

Try that 1st. My PC has been a workhorse and I have not experienced any problems with it. I have heard (with any DA for that matter) that you need the proper gauge cord as these machines take a lot of electricity to run.

IMO try that. As for the gauge maybe 14 or higher. Please don't quote me as I am gauge cord illiterate. All I know is I have surge protectors as well as some heavy duty cords and have not experienced any issues with my Flex 3401 or PC

I hope that will work and if not I will be at a loss to give you any more help...sorry.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a very similar sounding problem with my 1 yr old 7424XP. I called Porter Cable & they gave me the location of a local repair shop. I took it to them & they replaced the motor, free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestion from everyone. I finally took mine to the repair show and I am waiting to hear back and what they tell me.

I confirmed that my heavy duty extension cord does meet the requirements from PC. I tried using the unit again yesterday and it started knocking and puked grease all over the backing plate and hood of the car I was polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

With any manufactured product there is going to be a percentage of bad products. With PC it's pretty low from what I have read. Hopefully it's covered under warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not missing the spacer washer on the backing plate by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Pick up a harbor freight DA in the meantime for a backup!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestion from everyone. I finally took mine to the repair show and I am waiting to hear back and what they tell me.

I confirmed that my heavy duty extension cord does meet the requirements from PC. I tried using the unit again yesterday and it started knocking and puked grease all over the backing plate and hood of the car I was polishing.

Let us know how the repair turned out. All things mechanical eventually break down. Some sooner than later. Is it covered under warranty ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast