autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Choosing LC Pads for Griots - Help!

Alright guys...I am getting ready to buy the Griot's in about a week and I am trying to determine which pads and HOW MANY pads I need. This will primarily be used on my brand new F-150 (excellent paint condition), but it would be nice to have some more aggressive pads for other vehicles if need be.

Here is what I am thinking as far as pad selection goes:

5 1/2" LC Flat Pads:
    Orange
    White
    Blue

4" LC Flat Pads: Or should I go with 3" pads?
    Orange
    White
    Blue

I really have NO CLUE how many pads I would need for a truck as I have never done this before. Any help on pad color and quantity would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Choosing LC Pads for Griots - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Alright guys...I am getting ready to buy the Griot's in about a week and I am trying to determine which pads and HOW MANY pads I need. This will primarily be used on my brand new F-150 (excellent paint condition), but it would be nice to have some more aggressive pads for other vehicles if need be.

Here is what I am thinking as far as pad selection goes:

5 1/2" LC Flat Pads:
    Orange
    White
    Blue

4" LC Flat Pads: Or should I go with 3" pads?
    Orange
    White
    Blue

I really have NO CLUE how many pads I would need for a truck as I have never done this before. Any help on pad color and quantity would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok, your thinking is good, the Orange pad with a truck in your condition should not be needed, but get them anyway you never know when you will. Get 3-4-4 orange to blue in each size, this may seem excessive but believe me, one thing you don't want to be short on is good pads. Don't over saturate them, keep things thin but moisturized. You'll get the feel of it in no time. It' a blast, enjoy.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    Ok, your thinking is good, the Orange pad with a truck in your condition should not be needed, but get them anyway you never know when you will. Get 3-4-4 orange to blue in each size, this may seem excessive but believe me, one thing you don't want to be short on is good pads. Don't over saturate them, keep things thin but moisturized. You'll get the feel of it in no time. It' a blast, enjoy.

Peace,

Darrin
    Yea I figured the orange would be for down the road use...

Wow, I figured I would need at least 6 of each. I already have (4) 4" red and white pads which is nice. I will probably make it easy and get 4 of every color (orange, white, and blue) in the 5.5" and 3" sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's something from Mike Phillips that might help:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Don't forget a 5" backing plate so you can use 5.5" pads--much more versitile and you'll save money everytime you buy pads.

You might want to take a look at the Buff & Shine pads--great pads, very durable and they have recessed Velcro for a little extra margin of safety. A GG DA with 3" pads can be a little difficult to control so you might want to stick with 3.5" BP and 4" pads. Buff and Shine 5.5 Inch Flat Foam Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Here's something from Mike Phillips that might help:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Don't forget a 5" backing plate so you can use 5.5" pads--much more versitile and you'll save money everytime you buy pads.

You might want to take a look at the Buff & Shine pads--great pads, very durable and they have recessed Velcro for a little extra margin of safety. A GG DA with 3" pads can be a little difficult to control so you might want to stick with 3.5" BP and 4" pads. Buff and Shine 5.5 Inch Flat Foam Pads
    Thanks! Yes I plan on buying the 5" backing plate and probably the 3.5" backing plate since I already have 4" pads on hand. I will check out those Buff & Shine pads...I keep hearing more about those.

Post Thanks / Like

QUICK QUESTION: What is the real difference between the LC Black and LC Blue pads?

I think this may work well:
    Orange pads - 4
    White pads - 4
    Blue/Red pads - 2

For a truck my size I am wondering if I would need more though (like 6-6-2)

Post Thanks / Like

QUICK QUESTION: What is the real difference between the LC Black and LC Blue pads?

Orange pads - 4
    White pads - 4
    Blue/Red pads - 2

I have a boatload of both Black and Blue LC Pads on hand, and to tell the honest truth, I never used any of them! LOL But I have opened a couple packages, and it is hard to determine the softer of the two, they are that close IMO. Either would be good for applying sealants-waxes.

Me, I've always been a guy who likes getting more intimate when laying down an LSP, and there's a number of reasons for such. 1. By the time I yank out DA, Pads, Ext Cords, etc, I can have a coat of any wax or sealant laid down on the vehicle.
    2 All I have for clean up, and put away, is an Applicator Pad, whether Foam, or MF.
    3. By being able to more carefully apply the LSP, I'm not "digging out" powdery residues from every crack, seam, joint for the next 5 weeks. "I" put the product "where" I want it, and avoid these headaches seen later on.

Now, if I was a pro, or waxing a 40' Motorhome, sure, you bet I'll be wanting to machine apply a wax-sealant, but for my little shitbox daily driver, or other average sized cars, or even trucks, no thanks.

Although the Blue-Black-Red Pads are said to have no cut, trust that if you use Polishes, or more aggressive Liquid Compounds with them, you will get some degree of paint correction, just not as optimum-fast with a more aggressive Pad like Orange or Yellow LC. Meaning, they can be used in a pinch to correct on fairly pristine vehicles to Amp Gloss, and Shine. (and to remove ever so slight wash induced swirling)

My experiences with LC Pads so far have been that the 5.5" white Flat Pads are very good, they are durable, provided one doesn't run these pads flat out on high speed, and tries doing an entire vehicle with just one Pad. Overheating a pad is a sure way to destroy a Pad in short order. They aren't cheap.

But the White Flat LC Pads I have found, are quite versatile, and a very good Pad to have a good quantity of. 6-8 of these would not be a bad quantity to initially have on hand, and replace as time goes by.

I've found that with let's say the Wolfgang Trio of correction products, Uber, TSR, and Finishing Glaze, the White Pads can be used to excellent effect with all 3. The White Pads can be again used to great end results with other products, like Menzerna SF-4000/SF4500.

Final little tidbit of advice. Do buy yourself a good Pad Cleaner formula. WG, Pinnacle, Blackfire, XMT are all very good. They clean better IMO than many off the shelf APC products, will get the Pads very clean without tons of suds, and effort.

With Pads, and Backing Plates, also grab a 5 pack of the Fiber Backing Plate Washers. You'll be glad you have them on hand down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Orange pads - 4
    White pads - 4
    Blue/Red pads - 2

The main difference is how soft the pad is. The pores per once remain the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the truck is fairly new and will be the initial project I would advise

Orange - 4 (for future work)
    White - 6 (for current & future work)
    Blue/Red - 2 (for wax/sealant)
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome guys thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast