autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a PC & Wolfgang Twins Need Help Choosing Right Pads

Also, she was clayed back in August/September when I got her, but I will be claying again prior polishing. I'll also be following up with Zaino after I'm done.

Is there a trick to get close to the edge of the emblem without damaging the pad? Do I just push up against it as the foam will conform to the shape or will that tear up the pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could tape the emblem up or you can get the pad just close enough without touching it. IMO if u bring the pad just close enough that will be fine. It's to small of an area to stick out like a sore thumb without polishing that cm of paint that the pad didn't touch.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly don't have better-more experience-wisdom as Mike, and many others here, but it is probably wise to stay away from any-all emblems with the DA's pads for the reason you state, and that if these emblems are not in any way simply removable without damage, or a huge hassle, then you'll have to finish out those areas near-next to the emblems by hand.

It is always wise to mask any, and all emblems and trim pieces, keeps them cleaner for one, and will eliminate any possible damage to those emblems from polishes, and heat.

As for your limited quantity of pads on hand, Mike does show in his tutorial vids how to clean pads on the fly, but even this aid is still only a stopgap measure, that no matter what, the pads will not only load up with spent-tired polishes, but also dirts-contaminants and removed paint.

To continue on with just one pad will not only place lots of wear and tear on a pad, but also lessen the quality of your polishing processes.

But, there is no harm, and no foul of not doing the entire vehicle in one session-go. You can for say just concentrate on the Hood, get that fully corrected, and after, you may seal that area with the Zaino, or whatever other finishing protectant product you choose. Probably then best to mask the edges of the hood as you then continue on to then polish the fenders, nose, etc.

It means fully washing cleaning pads, then the wait for each to fully dry.

Yes, the costs do add up, products, pads, towels, machines, etc. If you feel that your arsenal lacks, and that you might be going at such a job under-complimented, then it might be wiser waiting until you can afford to purchase such, rather than going at the correction ill equipped, then having later regrets.
    Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and purchased three more orange and white pads along with a 3.5 backing plate with three orange and white pads. I'd rather get the car done in one day if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    To continue on with just one pad will not only place lots of wear and tear on a pad, but also lessen the quality of your polishing processes.
    I have three pads of each color but I also have an air compressor. I am curious if using the air compressor to blow off the dried dusty product is quick and sufficient to keep going with one pad for the whole car after each section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gokite View Post
    I have three pads of each color but I also have an air compressor. I am curious if using the air compressor to blow off the dried dusty product is quick and sufficient to keep going with one pad for the whole car after each section?
    Usually the pros won't do such. Even on very small cars. Compressed air can also bring along some other problems, if your air supply is not filtered. What can come out of a regular run of the mill unfiltered compressor's air lines, can be particles of dust, small particles-shards of rust from the tank, filthy moisture, etc.

Some use pad washers as a tool. I'm unsure how many use one of these, then continue on with a correction? Just another shortcut, and perhaps not an optimum one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macleod52 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and purchased three more orange and white pads along with a 3.5 backing plate with three orange and white pads. I'd rather get the car done in one day if I can.
    I think it was wise. Virtually all will tell you, better to have more than what you need on hand, than not enough.

For sure, a garage is a great aid. One can go at it with less than optimum conditions or lighting (getting dark outside) that a garage is a great thing to have, and something I myself don't have here.

In 9 months, I retire. One of my dreams-aspirations, would be to again have myself another Corvette. I've once owned a 1967 Ragtop, but without a Garage here, and a cherry Corvette just sitting under a carport, and with the wind storms we have here (we're having one today here in fact) I think I would go totally insane! LOL

I always liked that 50th Anniversary 2003 Vette, and would love finding a low mileage example. That pretty dark red metallic they had that year just wows me immensely!

Mike Phillips

Thanks, Mike. Here are the pictures of the paint. The hazing can be found on the headlight covers and hood too. It almost looks like water spot/soap damage.
    The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover should take care of all the defects shown in your pictures, just be sure to move the polisher slowly over the paint when buffing a section.

Is there a trick to get close to the edge of the emblem without damaging the pad?

Do I just push up against it as the foam will conform to the shape or will that tear up the pad?
    Just have a steady hand and move the polisher slowly around the emblem. I'd recommend taping it off too like you see Louie doing here with some 3M Blue Vinyl Tape.

If you buff too long on the black plastic that the Corvette emblems are made of you'll burn through the black layer of plastic and expose white plastic.

One of the first things I do when I inspect any Corvette with plastic emblems is look for signs of damage from all the detailers that have gone before me.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that thing looks awesome when its finished! I have found, at least on hydro tech pads, I can use it for a while, spray pad cleaner on it, rinse it, wring it out, put it in a towel and wring it out again and keep on buffing. That may be due to the closed cell structure of the foam, however it worked fine for me on my last detail.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I made my first attempt on Tuesday. The car turned out pretty good although there are still some swirl marks left. I started off with a small area but as I made my passes I unintentionally made the working area larger. I'll have to give it another go and either tape off my sections or try to keep it in a small working area.

One thing I noticed is that the hood/front bumpers look like they were sandblasted. What I mean is that the paint/clear coat looks as if it has been dimpled by rocks/sand and it looks like tons of tiny little dents. I'm not sure I can correct these. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12