autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Malu59RT
    I spent 6 days last week and over 20 hours detailing my M3 to get out swirls, and I was very disappointed with the buffer. 2 hours into using it, the head made a metallic noise over the '5' setting, and it finally pooped out on me with 3 panels left to finish. I had used a rotary before, and the detailing forum on the site I went to highly recommended the PC. I admit, it's good for a beginner, but wanting to do 5-6 cars a week is totally unfeasible with a PC. Also, a decent amount of swirls came out, but there were several extremely fine scratches that were left in the paint that should have come out also. It took way too much time to do the car, and that's one of my biggest complaints (that and the buffer failing mid-job). I plan on getting rid of this PC and buying a rotary (the Dewalt 849) is what I am looking into. However, I am glad that I found Autogeek, as their customer service and the forum/store layout is excellent.

BTW, I highly recommend the 3M Foam Polish for Dark cars. I used the Detailers Pride swirl remover, and 2-3 other products, and was at my wits end until I bought the 3M product. It appears that Saleen281 and I have had similar experiences.

Jason
    Jason- agree with all your points.

I personally recommend a DeWalt unit over the other ones, weight not withstanding.

If you PM me, I will give you a link to a setup for the DeWalt that will make you cream your pants.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok....this will be a bit harsh but theres no other way to say it. you f*cked up. :P no offense meant but you must not have used it correctly. especially since it died like that, either the machine was defective or you did something wrong like applying a lot of pressure. also it just works in a different and safer method than a rotary. its a trade off. safety with a PC, speed with a rotary. its not like its a turtle though, just gotta get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    ok....this will be a bit harsh but theres no other way to say it. you f*cked up. :P no offense meant but you must not have used it correctly. especially since it died like that, either the machine was defective or you did something wrong like applying a lot of pressure. also it just works in a different and safer method than a rotary. its a trade off. safety with a PC, speed with a rotary. its not like its a turtle though, just gotta get used to it.
    He could have had a defective model. Unless he was using it to power a merry go round, it shouldnt have died with him just polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    It's nice that I f'd up, and not Porter Cable who is apparently god-like and incapable of manufacturing a bad unit. It was a brand new unit, I didn't even open up the box until I was ready to use it on the car. Maybe I ran the unit too long, maybe I have bad luck. In any case, it is of no concern to me. I will not be owning it, and if you have more advice regarding tips on a rotary, I'd be happy to hear it. It's like a pair of safety scissors, it might do a basic job, but it won't do the same thing as a pair of normal scissors. If I want to sit and cut paper all day, that's fine, but I need a better tool that's all. The only thing it was nice for was applying wax, but $100 is more than I want to spend for a machine to apply wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this post shows what even a semi-professional can do with a rotary, and thats someone that knows how to use one, and works on multiple cars each day.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ead.php?t=3150
    This is why the PC is a valuable tool for the inexperienced, other than throwing the machine at the car, it aint gonna do to much damage. But as you said correction work will take alot of time, and alot of patience, much more inclined to the novice weekend detailer.

As for the links, we do not allow links to sellers, other detailing boards, and forums that could compete or infringe on each other copyright. A quick look and I decided better safe than sorry.

It is also my opinion that this post is starting to get dirty, with finger pointing and unneeded remarks from everyone. Nobody is judge, jury, or executioner. Lets keep it civil and allow everyone to bring their opinion to the table without finger pointing and name calling. Machines can fail ... and owners have right to their opinion.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, i was kinda half kidding with you. sometimes i forget sarcasm doesnt travel through the keyboard, sorry. i said either you messed up or you got a defective part. but it sounds like it worked for a while and then died. but not knowing how it "died" im going to mae assumptions like maybe you applied too much pressure which is normal i your new to the PC.
    but you say it wasnt good for anything but applying wax, which is wrong because it removes swirls and light scratches very well. it didnt gain its high regard by being a wax applicator is all im saying here. in fact the one thing i hate is applying and removing wax via pc

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I think this post shows what even a semi-professional can do with a rotary, and thats someone that knows how to use one, and works on multiple cars each day.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ead.php?t=3150
    No offense- but he DOESN'T know how to use one if he's buffing edges and small areas like the underside of a trunk lid. And this is not a shot at the guy- lord knows I slung pieces across the room when it caught on an edge, and I've swirled up a couple panels before I finally "got it".

I won't disagree with you though on the fact of a rotary being like sandpaper in the hands of someone who has no idea how to use one.

New rotarys with speed control, and newer foam pads really do minimze the risk of burning paint, or tearing something up. You have to be patient, and you have to have some knowledge. Too bad someone can't make a vid of using a rotary, because the PC can work very well at "finessing" the finish after getting the bad places out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Screw the PC failing, let's see some pics of the '05 M3!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et

Sounds like you got and you detail some cars. Post some pictures, it would be good to see, well I'm interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    The car is in the garage until Friday when I can vacuum, do the leather interior, exhaust tips, and possibly pull of the wheels to clean the inside. It's a competition package, so it has the BBS style wheels. I can reach through the spokes if I'm careful, but it gets painful after a while.

This week has been spent taking care of my friend's cars. He's out of town and I discovered that someone egged his supra, s4, and s2000 so I had to go clean those cars. It sucks because he just got his his 98 Supra that was in pretty mint condition. I should have pics this weekend.

I'm sorry if it seemed that I was ragging on the PC. I know it works, otherwise I would have never bought it, but just like everyone said, I stepped down from a rotary to the PC, which is the wrong direction to go.

Mod, sorry if I offended anyone.

Jason

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast