autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Burning Paint with PC 7424

The surface had something on it that caused the paint not to bond to it when it was paint. Most paint burning you will see will burn through the layers....that just grabbed all the layers and moved them over. Definitely a paint defect and the dealer will probably fix it no problem. You can just tell them you noticed it while washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry!! I brought this old thread up as a link to the thread about polishing a bumper w/a DA. Purpose was to show that damage can still occur w/a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking for this thread to do the same but couldn't find it.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the amount of people recommending the OP to lie to the dealership for something that was caused by his error. Man up, learn from the experience, and move on.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

i have purposely burnt paint with a rotary to show people i was training what it looked like and have never seen that happen before. like alot of others here i am thinking that paint did not bond and cure fully

Post Thanks / Like

That really scares me to purchase a DA now... I thought you couldn't burn paint with a DA! This obviously proves it wrong.. *sigh*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch34 View Post
    That really scares me to purchase a DA now... I thought you couldn't burn paint with a DA! This obviously proves it wrong.. *sigh*
    In a world where it seems as though just about anything can and will happen I still feel that burning your paint with a da though possible is highly unlikely. It would be like burning your house down with a magnifying glass though it is possible if you held it in the sun and focused the concentrated beam of sunlight on only one place for a very long period of time. Sort of like running your buffer on 6 and really leaning down on it while you kept it in one fixed position on the paint. Heck if you rub two sticks together long and fast enough you will get fire.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

The picture showing the gathering up of paint and burn thru seem to be two different animals. On pratice hoods that I have burnt thru the paint with a rotary and a woolpad on purpose ,it looked as if it was sanded smooth or in some cases ground down with a grinder in severe cases. The paint gathering up has been covered on other forums and personally I have not had this happen. Those that have posted about this seem to mostly have had this happen on plastic bumper covers or panels on factory painted late model cars. Most claim they were using a rotary and this is the first I've seen done by a DA. A lot of opinions lean to heat as a probable cause. As far as taking it back to the dealer,would you want to detail or paint a customers car and later have him do the same and come back on you and claim he was just washing it ? Paul S

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone you have to understand that burning paint on a metal surface vs a platic surface is totally different. It is the way the paint bonds to the surface and it was on the edge. I can understand why people would think it is not a burn because it bunched up. It is a burn, the paint was rubbed through in one section and then the pad just kept pushing it causing it to bunch up. Rasky1 even has a thread of this actually happening to him. I am sure if you look this up you will understand it was a mistake by the op, not any type of defect with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    It seems the side of the pad dug into the paint and then it just pushed into a clump. This is what will happen on a plastic piece when the edge of a pad grabs the paint. Also the paint being hot from the start just makes it that much easier to wrinkle the paint like in your picture.
    Dana
    As in your above quote.I also think the pad dug in and grabbed the paint and due to the heat pushed or piled it into a clump. This is not what I relate to as a burn through such is commonly done on a seam or high spot. Thats why I see this as two differnt animals which are both operator controlled or induced. From body shop guys I have talked to about this problem they lean towards the idea the flex additive paint combo is more sensitive to heat then the rest of the car.
    Paul s

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast