autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Giant softball sized crack in windshield!!!!

I have no idea what it was (happened too fast) but something massive hit my windshield this morning right in my line of sight. It left a series of circular cracks in the windshield about the size of a softball. It was so loud it could've been a gunshot for all I know.

It was a bad week at work and an even worse ending...the only thing I was looking forward to was getting to really use all the detailing supplies I got this past week. I was so eager to polish the car for the first time and really spend a full day detailing my Accord. It doesn't even seem worth it now given that I'll have to stare at that giant crack till it gets fixed.

This will be the third windshield I have in the car. I have a long, 1 hour commute everyday and the car just takes a beating. It looks really good for a daily commuter but it's really depressing sometimes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey!! take it easy,,,,,,the cars damaged but your ok.it could have been alot worse.....the glass will take less than a day to fix.hopefully your ins will pick up the tab and by the end of next week you'll be planning a detail weekend........

Post Thanks / Like
    They say bad things come in sets of three... so you won't have anymore windshield issues. Seriously, sorry about the bad luck. At least you weren't hurt. It sounds like it could have caused a bad accident. Do you have to pay for the windshield? Here in MA we have no copay for glass. (the only good aspect of auto insurance in MA). Anyway good luck and happy detailing.
    '04 330Ci Silver Grey Metallic 6 Spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! What a scary feeling. I hate when things fly up out of nowhere. Even when it just makes a noise I get jumpy, I can't imagine what I would do if my glass got a major crack in it! Good thing you are safe, and hopefully detailing will make all the bad memories just drift away....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for thoughts. I know it could've been worse which helps to put it in perspective. I'm glad my kids weren't in the car because they definitely would've been scared.

I'm going to call my insurance company. I'm not sure if it falls under my $500 comprehensive deductible or not. I live in NJ so our auto insurance here sucks and is expensive! I'll probably be required to have my kids work in some sweat shop if my auto insurance pays.

It's not dangerous to drive; I can see the road clearly. If I have to pay for it, I'm going to wait till I get the car inspected in November. This way I don't chance getting hit by a rock again before the inspection...that happened to my brother. I just hate anything other than a crystal clear window...it's a pet peeve.

Post Thanks / Like
    It isnt obstructing your view is it? I hate inspection. We don't have it hear in CA, but I have heard MANY complaints about it. Good luck man!

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be illegal to drive with significant damage to the windshield. You might want to check into it.
    '04 330Ci Silver Grey Metallic 6 Spd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's not really obstructing...but a cop could probably make an argument to justify a ticket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant softball sized crack in windshield!!!!-resize-pict4260-jpg   Giant softball sized crack in windshield!!!!-resize-pict4257-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen people driving around with crazy broken windshields. They also drive like this in the movies. If it is in the movies, it is real life.

Post Thanks / Like
    That isn't as bad as I expected. CHeck the local laws, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast