autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing a fund raiser car wash today.

I have some friends who run a couple of recovery houses. A transitional program for folks recovering from various addiction problems. Each year they put together a fund raiser car wash to help with the treatment of addictions. Knowing that I run an auto detailing business they contact me to head up the affair. I go out and purchase a gallon of Meg's Gold Class car wash concentrate, mix a pump up sprayer of Opti-Bond or Bold & Bright, supply all the wash mitts, wheel and tire brushes, buckets, hose nozzles etc. and go out there and freely give of myself to wash cars all day and to try to reduce the likelihood of installing swirls onto the paint jobs of the cars that get washed for a donation.

I have been blessed in so many ways. This is a good way to give back to the community.

Addiction problems are a very real and serious problem in America today. Alcoholics and drug addicts create a path of destruction that rips through the lives of everyone they come in contact with. Every year, thousands of sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, friends and neighbors die from substance abuse and each year, many many more innocent people are victimized by the things that active alcoholics and addicts do to get their next fix.

Turning a blind eye to the problem makes it much worse. I'd like to take a minute to pray for and to thank all the law enforcement officers, military men and women, addictions counselors, doctors, nurses who try so hard to get these people the help they need, and most of all the the family members of the addicts and alcoholics who have died before finding recovery from such addictions.

It is very very sad to be involved in helping someone to overcome addiction, trying and giving of one's time to encourage them to get help just to watch them die from this treacherous disease. (doctors call it a disease) I call it a spiritual disease because often times these folks are beyond human aid and only an act of providence can pull them back from it.

A very small percentage of folks who go through treatment centers and recovery houses do actually regain their footing in life and If I can help to get even one of them on the right track today I'll feel that I have done something worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a fund raiser car wash today.

My hats off to you Mr. Dave!

People helping people who need help. That is one of the most important things we as humans should do.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Rehab's for quitters...

J/K Dave. This is a good thing your doing. Good luck with the car wash today
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdb917 View Post
    My hats off to you Mr. Dave!

People helping people who need help. That is one of the most important things we as humans should do.
    Thanks, doing nothing makes no progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Rehab's for quitters...

J/K Dave. This is a good thing your doing. Good luck with the car wash today
    Thanks Flash, I used to joke about that too. Fast forward...6 years free of any and all mind altering substances...I now realize that it is an absolutely true statement.

I'm off to the car wash now. Have a wonderful day!!! I will!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man Dave...You can only keep what you have by giving back!!!
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Mike Phillips

Way to pay it forward Dave...

Post Thanks / Like

Very good thing your doing Dave! Wish I was in your area I'd come help!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Dave! Not only for insight on the problem, but for helping out with showing them the right way to do things.

When I see most of those fund raiser car washes, I shudder at what they are using, and how they do it. I think it would be better if people just gave them the money and said "Don't touch my car".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the nice replies. I just got back home and I am sunburned and tired. I was thinking about a nap but there are folks who probably want to see these pictures. The weather couldn't have been better for an event like this. A lot of people showed up to help out on this event. The cars just filed in one after another all day long. What a wonderful event to take part in. I had a blast and got cooled down by the water all day too because I was the wheels and tires guy.

As far as my mindset as an auto detailer goes, I have done enough of these events to know that I have to check my perfectionist's ways into the coat closet before even leaving the house. These events are about having fun and raising some money for a worthy cause...and not at all about detailing. As much as I tried to guide the other players in this event, I still saw things like this....

Seeing things like this....

and especially things like this...

just goes to show that the average car owner either doesn't know anything about swirl marks and wash induced marring, or they simply figure, "who cares it's just transportation". I think with exception to a few rare car owners, it is "just us" detailers who think about paint as we do. Anyway..on to some more photos. I was extremely busy and didn't have much time for pictures so here are the rest.

The players...

Break time...

There were some little angels amongst the crew...

And for once I had a helper...

Lunch time...

After lunch we remained slammed busy all day til the end where this happened...and before anyone asks, yes..I did make a monetary donation...

Since I payed to have my van washed I figured i would just stand around and take pictures of something that rarely happens, (someone else washing my vehicle)

That was pretty much a wrap so all we had to do then was to clean up and one of our little angels was taking her cleanup duties very seriously...

All in all, it was a terrific turnout and a very fun event for all of us. I'd really like to thank Metro Bank for allowing us to hold our car wash at their Camp Hill PA location. I'd also like to thank all of the folks who came out to help and make today such a success and fun at that. And of course thank you to all of the folks who had their cars washed today. (I told them all that they could see the pictures on Autogeek.net) And a great big thanks to Nice Guy Steve for giving me an opportunity to be of service.

I hope all you AG members enjoyed this thread. Have a great weekend. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like fun was had by all. Way to go Dave!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast