autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I doing wrong?

I'm new at this level of car care. I've always enjoyed washing and taking care of my cars. Now that I'm retired and have discovered AG and have spent a boatload of money on some really neat products, the latest boatload was spent on an array of micro fiber cloths and something that I must be using incorrectly. When I read the chart for all the different kinds of micro fiber cloths and their recommended use, the only recommendations for "drying" fell under the heading of "guzzler waffle weaves". They seemed awful big and thick. I'm 6' 4' and 240 and have always wrung the tar out of micro fibers and dried the cars off beautifully. But, hey, who am I to argue with my new found car guru? If AG says to dry only with guzzler waffle weave, so be it. Being the shrewd buyer that I perceive myself to be, among other things, I ordered BOGO waffle weave. It came yesterday and I tried it out this morning. It's thick, large, bulky and I think difficult to work with. It was like trying to dry my car with a mattress pad cover. How should it be used?
    Dyslexics of the world: Untie!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What am I doing wrong?

IMO...You shouldn't have to use too much pressure at all. On a nice finish you should be able to gently glide the MF towel across the car. The bigger towels can be really annoying to work with but they work wonders on drying your car.

This is how I dry my car....starting with the roof, I'll start at the back of the roof and fold the MF in half. I lay my towel down, blot the water and then I'll pull the MF forward walking towards the front of the car. I then do the windows. After each section I'll rinse using the two bucket method. I always leave the hood/front and the rear for last. For the sides of the vehicle, I fold the towel in thirds and with little to no pressure walk the MF towards the front of the car. and repeat till the sides are done. For the front of the vehicle, I fold the towel in half and start in the middle of the car. I lay the towel down, blot the water, and then gently pull forward. Same for the rear. Each panel I approach with a one way direction.

Of course this is all just my method. I always follow this simple rule:

...straight lines...little to no pressure.
    Last edited by alko; 07-21-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that waffle weave but I have one towel that is thick like that one and I know what you mean. I think the thickness can get in the way.

Did you keep it folded or was it opened when you dried? I keep the towels folded and flip over part way through drying. I tend to stick to the normal waffle weave. I have a lot from Pakshak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I don't have that waffle weave but I have one towel that is thick like that one and I know what you mean. I think the thickness can get in the way.

Did you keep it folded or was it opened when you dried? I keep the towels folded and flip over part way through drying. I tend to stick to the normal waffle weave. I have a lot from Pakshak
    It was opened when I used it. Just never seemed to do a good job of "finish" drying. I think it's only use is to get the "big" water off and then finish really doing a good job with the MFs. My concern is the recommendation on the chart doesn't mention drying under any MF. Are you not supposed to dry with a MF towel?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the one with a foam core....I find them to be better for the blot drying method then the wipe drying method.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    If you have the one with a foam core....I find them to be better for the blot drying method then the wipe drying method.
    I agree otherwise I find that I do not like using the foam core version.
    Personally I prefer the standard waffle weave drying towels.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

the green guzzlers come in three sizes, forget the biggest one unless you own a Hummer. I find the small and middle size ones are perfect. I do use a MasterBlaster (you can use a leaf blower) to remove excess water and then spritz with a detail spray and lightly wipe or blot.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sure,

I have lots of the green guzzlers and love them, so I read how good the foam core ones are and order some on BOGO only to find out here not so good!

A leaf blower will make your drying much easier and faster. Like killr says, blow most of the water off and wipe dry with a QD ...... perfection!

So what are you doing wrong? You forgot to buy the leaf blower!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    Oh Sure,

I have lots of the green guzzlers and love them, so I read how good the foam core ones are and order some on BOGO only to find out here not so good!

A leaf blower will make your drying much easier and faster. Like killr says, blow most of the water off and wipe dry with a QD ...... perfection!

So what are you doing wrong? You forgot to buy the leaf blower!
    I have blower. Can't use, too much noise. Wash car starting 6:30 am. Leave for softball at 7:30 am. Live in Florida. Right now too hot to wash any later in the day. Some problem, huh? Life is good!

Post Thanks / Like

Flood rinse the car, use the HD Guzzler to blot dry, and then a plush micro to wipe up any water that is left.

About 4:20 in the 2nd video shows Mike drying with the HD Guzzler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast