autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How To - Finish Kare Paint Contamination Removal System

How To - Finish Kare Paint Contamination Removal System

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Here's what Finish Kare recommends for using their system...

Taken from here

Paint Contamination Removal System

1119 / 883 DECONTAMINATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS

The materials in this system are, alkaline, acidic and neutral, THEY MUST BE USED IN THE SPECIFIC ORDER.

Step 1 - 1119 Soil and Coating Remover

Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner is part of a four-step system to rid automotive paint of damaging ferrous metals and airborne contaminants. Using this system, you -the professional detailer - can prevent paint damage and create a truly clean, well-protected finish. It all starts with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner.

Soil and Coating Remover is a fully biodegradable cleaner which is alkaline based with inhibitors for safe usage. #1119 removes outer surface rust, iron oxides, soil coatings, vehicle wrap adhesives while cleaning and preparing the surface for step two.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System was developed as a method of removing paint contamination beyond what can be removed by washing or claying. If you are familiar with detail clay, you know it is capable of removing above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is designed to remove what lies below the paint surface.

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous particles - particles containing iron - actually penetrate the paint and create corrosive compounds that eat deep into the paint's sub-layers. This is a gradual process that often is not evident until it's too late. Claying or polishing only removes the particle, not it's effects, which are continuing to spread beneath the surface.

Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner is the first step in this system. It is a fully biodegradable, alkaline based cleaner with inhibitors for safe usage. It removes outer surface rust, iron oxides, soil coatings, and vehicle wrap adhesives while cleaning and preparing the surface for step two.

How-To use Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover/Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Finish Kare

• Dilute 1 part Soil Remover to 4 parts water.

• Rinse the vehicle to remove dust and loose soil.

• Wash with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover/Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner and a wash mitt.

• Use light pressure to agitate the vehicle, working it in for 5-10 minutes.

• Rinse the entire vehicle with cold water.

• Dry the horizontal surfaces of the vehicle.

After using Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner, the outer paint will be stripped of waxes and silicones and all surface contamination. Paint contamination can be layers deep, so the Finish Kare addresses these layers step by step. After the outer paint layer is clean, Step 2 Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover will neutralize and remove ferrous particles.

It is very important to follow all four steps in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System in their prescribed order. The sequence of alkaline, acidic, and neutral cleaners helps counteract the effects of the paint contaminants.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is used by body shops for pre-cleaning prior to detailing and by dealerships for new and used car prep. It is proven to deliver a clean, glassy smooth vehicle that is protected from the harmful effects of paint contamination. No other is as fast and effective at removing multi-layer paint contamination.

Complete paint decontamination starts with Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover / Wax & Detail Pre-Cleaner.

Step 2 - Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner consists of blended acids and inhibitors which actually open the pores of the paint allowing the ferrous particles to be removed by agitation. Additionally, #883 will enter the subsurface of the paint film and neutralize caustic compounds generated by ferrous particles that have penetrated paint film.

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner deep cleans the sub-layers of auto paint to protect the paint from ferrous (iron-containing) particles. This preventative measure puts a stop to corrosion by neutralizing caustic compounds. No other method cleans paint as deeply as Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System was developed as a method of removing paint contamination beyond what can be removed by washing or claying. If you are familiar with detail clay, you know it is capable of removing above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is designed to remove what lies below the paint surface.

Airborne chemical compounds and ferrous particles - particles containing iron - actually penetrate the paint and create corrosive compounds that eat deep into the paint's sub-layers. This is a gradual process that often is not evident until it's too late. Claying or polishing only removes the particle, not it's effects, which are continuing to spread beneath the surface.

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner is Step 2 of the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System. Step 1, Finish Kare 1119 Soil and Coating Remover, removes surface soil. Since paint contaminants penetrate below the surface, Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles.

How-to use Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/Acid Based Cleaner

• Apply it undiluted to the paint using a wash mitt. (Use a different mitt than the one used for Step 1.)

• Keep the surface wet.

• Work in Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover for 5-10 minutes using light pressure

• Rinse the entire vehicle with cold water.

• Dry horizontal surfaces and inspect them.

• Use a cellophane glove or a plastic sandwich bag over your hand to feel for impurities. If paint feels gritty, repeat Step 2.

It is very important to follow all four steps in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System in their prescribed order. The sequence of alkaline, acidic, and neutral cleaners helps counteract the effects of the paint contaminants.

The Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System is used by body shops for pre-cleaning prior to detailing and by dealerships for new and used car prep. It is proven to deliver a clean, glassy smooth vehicle that is protected from the harmful effects of paint contamination. No other is as fast and effective at removing multi-layer paint contamination.

Remove paint contamination from deep within the paint with Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner.

CAUTION: Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner is for professional use only. Protective goggles, gloves, and clothing should be worn, and a first aid kit should be available in case of accidental contact.

Step 3 - Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo 31 oz
    A heavy-duty highly active shampoo concentrate, non-clogging, non-hydrolyzing neutral soap system. #118SC when used with cold water quenches the paint surface which pops ferrous particles up and out of the paint system. #118 because of its special blend of chemicals will also neutralize acid rain surfaces as well as acidic contamination below the surface.

After decontamination the paint has been striped clean and left with no protection, so it is very important that a sealer be applied immediately.

Step 3 Prevents the effects of hard water and acid rain!

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo has the slickness and the suds to safely wash your vehicle, plus water softeners and acid rain neutralizers. How many car washes can say that? Finish Kare Shampoo is clean-rinsing and will not strip wax. It could be the auto shampoo you've been searching for!

A great car wash has to be gentle and effective, safe on the paint but hard on dirt and grime. Finish Kare has accomplished all of the above with their Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo. This pH neutral car wash has excellent cleaning power to remove road grime and residues, yet it preserves the existing wax or sealant coating. Therefore, when you're finished washing, your vehicle looks clean and shiny.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo works hard to protect your vehicle's finish. It softens the wash water to help counteract the effects of hard water. You can feel the slickness of the lubricants! Acid rain neutralizers protect your paint finish from environmental pollutants.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is Step 3 in the Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System. After using steps 1 and 2 to clean the paint, this gentle car wash restores a neutral pH to the paint and removes any cleaner or contaminant left on the paint. Always use a fresh wash mitt. Dilute 1 oz. per gallon of water.

This step is very important after using an alkaline cleaner (Finish Kare Soil & Coating Remover) and then an acidic cleaner (Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover). Follow up with Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner or Finish Kare 2180 Ultra to seal and protect the newly decontaminated paint.

Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is biodegradable and safe on all finishes. Use it on your vehicle, boat, RV, ATV, or aircraft. The highly concentrated formula is a fantastic value.

How-to use Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo

• For the best results, dilute 1 oz. of Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo per 1 gallon of water in a 5 gallon wash bucket.

• Use a second bucket filled with clean water and use this fresh water for rinsing the mitt before reloading it with soapy water.

• This handy 2-bucket system, plus a soft wash mitt, will help you get shiny, swirl-free results with Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo.

Even with added water softeners and acid rain neutralizers, Finish Kare 118 Super Concentrated Shampoo is 100% clean rinsing. After washing your vehicle, what you'll see is a truly clean vehicle.

31 oz.

Step 4 - Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner

218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is formulated with amino functional and polymer resins. These resins chemically create a a cationic effect which allows them to plate to the surface of the finish forming a protective web allowing paint to breath and withstand temperatures in excess of 300 degrees. In addition, #218 does not contain any harmful silicones (i.e. dimethyl silicones), which are a wet, greasy evaporative, migratory component.

With a Patented Anti Static Agent, 218 A.S. forms a shield to Kill the attraction of dust As Well As Industrial Fallout That Is Magnetically Attracted To A Vehicle.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner combines paint cleaning with durable protection, all in a easy liquid formula. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant is a blend of anti corrosive, detergent-resistant polydimethylsiloxane copolymers, which provide great looks and long-wearing resistance to heat, water, and weather. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant makes car care maintenance-free!

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is a sealant for use on all finishes. The sealant removes surface accumulation and oxidation while penetrating and sealing the pores of the paint, giving great depth and trueness of color. The clean paint achieves a deeper gloss and looks healthier and smoother.

High melt resins offer prolonged surface protection and resistance to the elements, oxidation and detergents for months of maintenance-free protection. This means the Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner has a high melting point and provides great protection in sunny, hot climates. Regular washing is all it takes to maintain a clean, shiny finish. Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner lasts through rain, washing, and daily driving.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is excellent for use on paint, fiber glass, gel coat, glass and chrome surfaces. Use it on your car, boat, RV, and ATV.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner is similar to Finish Kare Ultra Polymer Sealant but with more cleaning ability. Apply it with an orbital polisher or by hand. Use a soft foam finishing pad. Spread a small amount of Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner over about a 2 x 2 sq. ft. section until you've achieved an even coat. allow the sealant to dry for about 15 minutes. Buff with a clean, soft Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth.

Finish Kare 218 Poly Wipe Sealant Conditioner cleans, seals, and protects the paint in just one step. Moderate cleaning action intensifies the shine.
    Last edited by Mike Phillips; 05-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To - Paint Contamination Removal System

I assume this is because of my post, haha, I will either set up a meeting with you at the AutoGeek shop or I will take pictures and a step-by-step process with before and after results
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To - Finish Kare Paint Contamination Removal System

when it says to mix the first step four to one, would a spray bottle be enough, or would you mix it in a bucket or some other method? how exactly would one go about getting that particular step on the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this thread is old but i do have a question. i plan on doing my regular "pre-detail" wash (dawn and some tar/grime remover), then i will use 1119 in a bucket with a microfiber towel. after that i am wondering if i can use sirr similar to iron x? by that i mean can i apply it to the surface with a spray bottle and then soak a small mf towel with sirr and work it in? and i know it is more than likely overkill but i also plan on using the nanoskin autoscrub mitt (fine) after the final ph neutral wash. has anyone used the decontamination kit like this before?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by proudpoppa View Post

when it says to mix the first step four to one, would a spray bottle be enough, or would you mix it in a bucket or some other method? how exactly would one go about getting that particular step on the paint?
    I've only used this system exactly like the manufacturer recommends. I've reformatted the directions for each step to make them easier to find in the above article.

Great question but I've only used it as the directions state above.

Quote Originally Posted by cplchris View Post

I know that this thread is old but i do have a question.
    On this forum, it never matters how old a thread might be as long as anyone is interested and has questions it's perfectly fine and encouraged to reply to ANY thread with your questions and/or comments.

i plan on doing my regular "pre-detail" wash (dawn and some tar/grime remover), then i will use 1119 in a bucket with a microfiber towel.

after that i am wondering if i can use sirr similar to iron x?

by that i mean can i apply it to the surface with a spray bottle and then soak a small mf towel with sirr and work it in?

and i know it is more than likely overkill but i also plan on using the nanoskin autoscrub mitt (fine) after the final ph neutral wash. has anyone used the decontamination kit like this before?

As I posted above, I've only used this system exactly as the manufacture recommends.

That said, if you look at the directions for using SIRR the key points are to,

A: Use it straight out of the bottle, that is don't dilute it.

B: Keep the surface wet with the product and work the panel for 5-10 minutes with light pressure.

C: Rinse the entire vehicle and in your case, the panel you're working, (and any adjacent areas to be thorough).

D: Dry the horizontal surfaces.

I would think that as long as you don't let the product dry on the panel you're working or any other area of the vehicle you could use it the way you state above.

Do keep in mind the company's safety recommendations...

CAUTION: Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover/ Acid Based Cleaner is for professional use only. Protective goggles, gloves, and clothing should be worn, and a first aid kit should be available in case of accidental contact.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a bunch Mike, now all that i need is a garage i can pull my jeep into. the ez up will have to suffice for now.

Mike Phillips

thanks a bunch Mike, now all that i need is a garage i can pull my jeep into. the ez up will have to suffice for now.

Your Jeep or a customer's Jeep?

Be sure to start a thread and share before, process and after pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

just mine, i wish i would've done a before after thread when i corrected the paint 3 years ago, but i will definitely snap some pics of everything, i dont plan on doing any correction on it just a good decontamination and reseal, im thinking i may go for 2 or 3 coats of KSG. the next vehicles i will be doing correction on are an 02 f-350 (severely hammered paint) and an 09 cr-v (dealership prep butchered the paint with a rotary)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,

I stumbled across this in my search for something to strip off my old wax/clean paint/etc, but do have one question. I have a clear bra on my car...do you think or know if this product would effect it in any way or should it be safe to use on the bra?
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
    Hey Mike,

I stumbled across this in my search for something to strip off my old wax/clean paint/etc, but do have one question. I have a clear bra on my car...do you think or know if this product would effect it in any way or should it be safe to use on the bra?

Good question. A quick scan of the webpage for this product didn't have a specific answer except to say this system doesn't contain Oxalic Acid which the company states "can" soften paint and trim.

My guess is since they took the precaution to NOT use this type of acid they've already taken into consideration all the various materials normally found on a vehicle and formulated this system to be safe for a wide spectrum of materials found on a wide spectrum of vehicles.

Just a guess...

You could contact Finish Kare and check with them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast