autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Got my Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

Got my Flex!

Finally got my Flex a few days ago. Can't wait to do some work with it.

Anything I should do before it's first use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Flex!-20150511_144541-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got my Flex!

Quote Originally Posted by Lustrous Detail View Post
    Loan it to me.

Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Order 4" backing plate and LC 5" hybrid pads. I got my Flex alittle over a month ago with a bunch of 6.5" CSS pads, after using the 5" hybrid, I'll never go back to 6.5".

It was also recommend by another user to remove the backing plate and put a few drops of air tool oil on the outside ring.

I'm still new at this, I'm sure the more experienced will have more advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
    Order 4" backing plate and LC 5" hybrid pads. I got my Flex alittle over a month ago with a bunch of 6.5" CSS pads, after using the 5" hybrid, I'll never go back to 6.5".

It was also recommend by another user to remove the backing plate and put a few drops of air tool oil on the outside ring.

+1 for all of the above. I personally run the CCS pads just cause I already had so many of them. Good luck with it
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    Loan it to me.

Congrats.
    Ok! Haha. Come to Hawaii and I'll loan it to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post

Thanks for the advice! I actually ordered the 4in backing plate from AG. Should be arriving today, just in time for a detail this saturday. I already got some 5.5inch hex logic and CCS pads. I didn't wanna buy 6.5 inch pads since I already got 5.5in pads so getting the 4 inch BP made more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    +1 for all of the above. I personally run the CCS pads just cause I already had so many of them. Good luck with it
    Mahalo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lustrous Detail View Post
    Finally got my Flex a few days ago. Can't wait to do some work with it.

Congrats on the Flex you will not be disappointed! There are a couple of things. You can put a little oil (I use WD40 or anything equivalent) around the felt ring will keep it lubricated. I just put a dab on my finger and follow the felt ring.

Get the Lake Country Backing Plates and get the Lake Country 5" and 6.5" Hybrid Pads. They are awesome for that DA. (I believe they were made specifically for the Flex 3401).

Another thing many forget is with the extension cord. Make sure you have a high quality gauge extension cord for the Flex. With the wrong quality gauge extension cord it can cause things to heat up (with any DA Rupes, PC, Megs, etc for that matter). More than likely this will not be an issue just be aware. For me I have a heavy guage extension cord with a surge protector...I am real careful.

Just remember to keep the DA Flat. You will learn the DA real quick. It will walk if you do it wrong. Easily corrected with a little practice. I can use 1 hand with the Flex when I am putting on sealant or wax. That is how easy it is to get used to. BTW, will not use 1 hand I said you can...LOL. If you have used any other DA, this will become your favorite!!

Congrats on the purchase!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Congrats on the Flex you will not be disappointed! There are a couple of things. You can put a little oil (I use WD40 or anything equivalent) around the felt ring will keep it lubricated. I just put a dab on my finger and follow the felt ring.

Get the Lake Country Backing Plates and get the Lake Country 5" and 6.5" Hybrid Pads. They are awesome for that DA. (I believe they were made specifically for the Flex 3401).

Another thing many forget is with the extension cord. Make sure you have a high quality gauge extension cord for the Flex. With the wrong quality gauge extension cord it can cause things to heat up (with any DA Rupes, PC, Megs, etc for that matter). More than likely this will not be an issue just be aware. For me I have a heavy guage extension cord with a surge protector...I am real careful.

Just remember to keep the DA Flat. You will learn the DA real quick. It will walk if you do it wrong. Easily corrected with a little practice. I can use 1 hand with the Flex when I am putting on sealant or wax. That is how easy it is to get used to. BTW, will not use 1 hand I said you can...LOL. If you have used any other DA, this will become your favorite!!

Congrats on the purchase!!
    Thanks for the tips! My 5 inch backing plate came in today. I'll look into the 5 in and 6.5 in hybrid pads. I have a few 5.5 CCS pads.

For the extension chord, which gauge would be good? Minimum gauge and maximum?

I have a porter cable 7346 (some say equivalent to 7424). Had it for a couple of years now and did a few details so I'm pretty comfortable with a DA. What sold me on getting the flex is the less time needed to remove swirls, scratches, etc. and time is money! I have a few details for the next weekend. Couple of em are one step polishes so I'm looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my Flex 3401 this evening. I am looking forward to it as well.

I plan to use it on my truck and suv first. For that reason I only purchased the 6.5 hybrids.

Good luck!
    Jeff
    2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4