autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PE-8 learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
    I know the small pads would be great for tight spots..I'm just concerned about using a rotary without any training on one. I definitely don't want to burn an edge due to inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Way cool that you got the PE-8. I pre-ordered mine and then got all the stuff for the PE-8 as soon as they came out. Now for the most important thing that I learned and I will make sure everyone here on this thread understands....HOLOGRAMS FROM THIS ROTARY IS A MYTH!!!

I was so scared as I too am a rookie when it comes to a rotary. Hearing all the rotary hologramming and burning stories had me concerned. Well, any detailer with some experience with a DA will not experience this problem.

IMO, most of us on this site will have no issues with this machine. In fact, I am so happy I got it! So quiet and smooth!!

One thing you will have to get used to (to those detailers that use free floating DA's) is that the PE8 will not stop until you stop it. The machine is light enough to where (IMO) you can't cause hologramming unless you do it un-purpose.

Additionally, Speed setting 1 at 600 RPM is TOO SLOW for correcting IMO. I had to bump my speed setting to 2 - 3 for correcting.

You can correct SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a GG3" DA (can't comment about the Rupes Mini as I have never used it).

Here are the things you should do with the PE8:

Get the extension...PERIOD.

Get all the 1", 2" and 3" Backing plates and pads. I thought I never needed anything smaller than 3" but I was wrong when my GF scraped my side mirror. I corrected it with the 1and 2 inch pads.

Now the biggest issue and I am 99% Positive everyone here will have the same experience: SPLATTER!!!!!

With the 3" Pads you will not encounter any splatter as the pads are large enough to absorb and contain the product.

The 1" and 2" Pads are so small that you have to make sure you start SLOW and then move to the speed you want. Even still; I get splatter. My technique is improving to reduce splatter, however, I still encounter it. I think it is because how small the Pads are that it will never go away.

If someone does know how to contain splatter with the smaller pads please let us know.

Now the hologram non-issue is for this machine. I can't comment on a larger rotary, however, I know that if I have to use a rotary I may have a better experience to curtail holograms. That being said, I will be sticking with my Flex 3401 for quite some time and feel no need to change as I am content with what I have now.

Sorry for the long thread, I just wanted to give you some idea of what to expect since you are new to the PE8 too.

BTW, I think I made the right choice and I am completely ecstatic that I bought it.

CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. Buying this stuff is so stressful to me because both products have their pluses and minuses. I think I'll ultimately wind up with both Flex machines and both Rupes machines.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Kamakaz1961;1231806].HOLOGRAMS FROM THIS ROTARY IS A MYTH!!!
    Now the hologram non-issue is for this machine.

Have you tried to compound/polish a black hood and have no halos?

Post Thanks / Like

Yah never know Matt, the PE8 just might open a whole new world for you and you'll start collecting rotories too.$$$$$
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;1231894]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    .HOLOGRAMS FROM THIS ROTARY IS A MYTH!!!
    Now the hologram non-issue is for this machine.

Have you tried to compound/polish a black hood and have no halos?
    Yes my side mirrors and a Black Shelby GT. I know you have to change your technique, however, if you are aware that you can possibly cause holograms is where I think you can take care of that issue. In other words, be careful.

But I also think the PE8 is so light and small it can't cause hologram unless you do it un-purpose or with carelessness.
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Kamakaz1961;1231909][quote=Rsurfer;1231894]

Yes my side mirrors and a Black Shelby GT.

What part of the Shelby GT did you polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
    Ugh. Buying this stuff is so stressful to me because both products have their pluses and minuses. I think I'll ultimately wind up with both Flex machines and both Rupes machines.

I've had the Rupes mini since it came out, great machine! I also just picked up the Kompakt, and I love it. Granted I've never used a rotary before, I found it's very easy to use. With all those intricate nooks and crannies you have on your Mini Coop, I believe your better suited with the Kompakt. The Kompact is light, quiet and very balanced...

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;1231924][QUOTE=Kamakaz1961;1231909]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Yes my side mirrors and a Black Shelby GT.

What part of the Shelby GT did you polish?
    Rear of the car next to the faux gas cap. I did not do the hood as I used my Flex 3401.

Again, I would not worry about holograms. The PE8 is too small of a machine to cause any serious hologram issue and the fact that if you know how to use a DA, that will help too. Technique! technique! technique!

Knowing what I do about the PE8, I would not hesitate to get it.
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Kamakaz1961;1231958][quote=Rsurfer;1231924]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Rear of the car next to the faux gas cap. I did not do the hood as I used my Flex 3401.

Again, I would not worry about holograms. The PE8 is too small of a machine to cause any serious hologram issue and the fact that if you know how to use a DA, that will help too. Technique! technique! technique!

Knowing what I do about the PE8, I would not hesitate to get it.
    It's still in the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing with a rotary is possible but also a skill many don't have or had the opportunity to learn. Unless one was doing production work or in a hurry I would lean towards the da. If one was set on learning rotary skills it would be on a old beater or practice panels. that's just my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast