autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

First of all a little background info. I currently use a Cyclo. I've had it for quite a few years now and it works good but I want something with more power (read correction) for my aging cars. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the best polishers currently out and had come to the conclusion that the Flex 3401 was the very best. Now I've been reading from quite a few different posts across different forums that the new Griot's Garage 6" polisher is as good as the much more expensive Flex 3401.

The other thing I'm wondering about the Flex now is if it will hold up in the long run. Keep in mind I'm used to the bulletproof reliability of the Cyclo. I won't be the slightest bit happy if the $300.00 Flex breaks in 5 years. The Griot's comes with a (albeit questionable) lifetime warranty which leads me to believe it has to be pretty well built.

I posted this in the Flex forum because I really didn't know the best place to put it. I'm new here. Mods feel free to put this where you think it might best go.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The GG polisher is as good as the 3401?

I first had the newest GG 6" polisher, returned it and bought the Flex 3401. I like the 3401 a lot better!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I should also add that I picked up a Dewalt 849 rotary a couple of weeks ago too. My plan was to use this for the heavily oxidized stuff, ie my wife's 1991 black Nissan Maxima. I know a lot of people will say just use the Dewalt first and finish up with the Cyclo. Yes, this works but it also takes forever and I just don't have the time to kill a couple of days like that. I figured the Flex 3401 would be sort of a combination of the two, thereby saving me an extra step.

PS, Richard Griot is out of his mind telling people not to use a rotary no matter how much experience you have. In my first 5 minutes of using the "scary" rotary I got incredible results on the hood of the old Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I should also add that I picked up a Dewalt 849 rotary a couple of weeks ago too. My plan was to use this for the heavily oxidized stuff, ie my wife's 1991 black Nissan Maxima. I know a lot of people will say just use the Dewalt first and finish up with the Cyclo. Yes, this works but it also takes forever and I just don't have the time to kill a couple of days like that. I figured the Flex 3401 would be sort of a combination of the two, thereby saving me an extra step.

PS, Richard Griot is out of his mind telling people not to use a rotary no matter how much experience you have. In my first 5 minutes of using the "scary" rotary I got incredible results on the hood of the old Maxima.
    So if you got incredible results with the Dewalt rotary why would you even consider getting the Flex? Even if you went over with the Cyclo do you know for a fact that the Flex would save you more time. Dunno! It's not like you are doing this every weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I first had the newest GG 6" polisher, returned it and bought the Flex 3401. I like the 3401 a lot better!
    What was it about the gg you didn't like?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360_detail View Post
    Same question here cause I love my Griot. BTW you can't advertise for sale items on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I didn't like the GG, I just should have sprung for the 3401 in the first place. Since I'm sticking with a DA, I wanted the best! The 3401 is worth the extra $150, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Same question here cause I love my Griot. BTW you can't advertise for sale items on this forum.
    WHAT??? really?? Im a member of 2 forums...Jeepforum and Autogeek. People sell stuff on JF all the time. They even have a dedicated thread for sale items....

Why is this? No one has said anything to me about it...

anyway, to the OP, I dont get it....you're not even detailing for money, what was so horribly slow about GG that you paid an extra 150 to shave all of an hour off your detail? Succumbed to overhype maybe? You're vehicles dont need extensive polish all the time so why not use a GG? Did you return it? Want to sell it? I want one.

I have no need for a Flex. I just got a Makita and it is very smooth and easy to use. I can use a DA for the awkward areas and finishing if needed...To each his own bro.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

anyway, to the OP, I dont get it....you're not even detailing for money, what was so horribly slow about GG that you paid an extra 150 to shave all of an hour off your detail? Succumbed to overhype maybe? You're vehicles dont need extensive polish all the time so why not use a GG? Did you return it? Want to sell it? I want one.

I have no need for a Flex. I just got a Makita and it is very smooth and easy to use. I can use a DA for the awkward areas and finishing if needed...To each his own bro.
    Hate to break it to you, but your reasoning for me not detailing for money makes no sense as to why I opted for the 3401. It's a *direct drive* DA, the GG is not. The build shape is like a rotary, GG is not. Feels *much* better in my hands. It has a lock button so I don't have to hold the trigger all the time. It's *much* better quality than the GG. I don't care if I polish one car every five years, when I do, I want the best DA experience. Good enough reasons?
    Last edited by WRAPT C5Z06; 01-23-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, the Flex is used on auto assembly lines in Europe - that's a pretty strong recommendation in my book.

Regards,
    GEWB

(happy with my Flex)
    Last edited by gewb; 01-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast