autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #1

My windshield has a terrible glare at night, what do I do?

Hi all, new to this site. I just bought a Nissan from a private seller and the glare on it at night is a nightmare. Any light looks like a rope light coming towards me. It is amazingly difficult to see at night in the car. I've noticed that the windshield has streaks in the shape of the windshield wiper that I can't remove and it almost looks like a film on it too. There appears to be dirt ingrained in the windshield as well. What I've done so far: washing with soap and water, straight vinegar, Windex, alcohol, rain-x windshield cleaner, rain-x original formula. Nothing has worked. Please help!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Re: My windshield has a terrible glare at night, what do I do?

Try clay bar, if that doesn't work you need to polish it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Just call me Mr. Mom

Before reaching for a glass polish (cerium oxide) try using a chrome polish. For years, we sold our Chrome Polish as Chrome and Glass Polish, and the instructions still indicate it's good for glass.

Apply with a terry cloth applicator, massaging onto the surface.

Let dry and buff off with a clean dry towel.

I do my windows (inside and out) twice a year like this, in addition to my bi-weekly cleaning with a regular glass cleaner.

It will take all the film off that's causing those flares.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Director of Training

I've owned a few older, classic cars with really scratched up windows and glare is the problem from the scratches and it's the worst during night driving.

Posted this yesterday to this thread,

Large piece of wood hit my windshield and....

I've used the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème with the Lake Country 4 Inch Glass Cutting Pads to remove scratches using a rotary buffer. It actually worked pretty well.

It's messy but works... cover up any nearby plastic or rubber trim.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Director of Training

If you're close to Stuart, Florida shoot me an e-mail...

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Perhaps a bit of mild abrasive...like baking soda or Bon Ami cleanser (specific brand name, don't substitute) will break through the grime without scratching.

If the windshield is actually scratched (fingernail test) you're probably stuck with replacing the windshield.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
I've owned a few older, classic cars with really scratched up windows and glare is the problem from the scratches and it's the worst during night driving.

I've used the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème with the Lake Country 4 Inch Glass Cutting Pads to remove scratches using a rotary buffer. It actually worked pretty well.

It's messy but works... cover up any nearby plastic or rubber trim.
I agree with this but it's also possible as Forrest noted that there can be a lot of buildup inside or out (inside could be vinyl fog or nicotine, outside just road film buildup or water spotting), which would indicate a different kind of polishing (again as Forrest noted) than the scratch removal regimen. Of course the report of wiper trails would point to scratches...or the double whammy of scratches on the outside, fog on the inside!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
Before reaching for a glass polish (cerium oxide) try using a chrome polish. For years, we sold our Chrome Polish as Chrome and Glass Polish, and the instructions still indicate it's good for glass.

I do my windows (inside and out) twice a year like this, in addition to my bi-weekly cleaning with a regular glass cleaner.

Thanks for the tip going to have to try that out .
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

I like to use DP's Glass Restorer on outside glass and then seal with Aquapel. You also need to remove all the coating from the inside which comes from plastic, for that Stoners Invisible Glass (aerosol version) works well.

Scott
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
Thanks for the tip going to have to try that out .