autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Large piece of wood hit my windshield and....

left a very nice scratch. Actually, several scratches right next to each other. I did the fingernail test and the scratch definitely catches it. It's like a giant 8 inch scuff mark. I know this might be a stupid question, but is there anyway to polish this out? Would a cutting pad and some compound at least smooth some of it out. Im just hoping not having to go to my insurance company to care for it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Large piece of wood hit my windshield and....

I'm in the same boat as I'd like to hear what people have to say about removing scratches from windshields. I have a scratch where the previous owner let his wipers fall apart and the metal rubbed into the glass.

As for insurance, they may not help you out if it's a scratch. I believe it usually needs to actually be cracked, which would jeopardize the structure of the glass. You'd need to call them, but make sure you call some glass shops to get a quote. Usually you can get a windshield and installation for under $200. Weigh that against that increase in premiums you may have with an insurance claim.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

IME paint polishing compounds won't do a thing for it. This is why I added the extra glass rider to both of my vehicles for $100 a year. It covers both vehicles with no glass deductible. Sorry to hear about your windshield. At least it didn't come through the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    IME paint polishing compounds won't do a thing for it. This is why I added the extra glass rider to both of my vehicles for $100 a year. It covers both vehicles with no glass deductible. Sorry to hear about your windshield. At least it didn't come through the windshield.

Not even M105 with a yellow cutting pad? Man, I thought I would be able to at least smooth it out a little bit. Does Diamondite have anything that could tackle it?

Post Thanks / Like

Not that this answers the question but if the scratches are in what they consider the "acute area" of the windshield and impede vision, an insurance company should have to pay for replacement or proper repair since it a safety issue, It would also fail a safety inspection(in PA)! The acute area is 8 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/2 in the drivers normal line of vision! Maybe someone who has used Diamondite can better help with your actual question! maybe check into that!

Post Thanks / Like

I have scratches in my windshield from the idiot that did my tint. He caught the razor blade in the glass and kept going. It goes all the way around where my brow goes. I was quoted $40 at a reputable glass shop to sand and buff them out so this is the way that I'm going.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jkk7479 View Post
    Not even M105 with a yellow cutting pad? Man, I thought I would be able to at least smooth it out a little bit. Does Diamondite have anything that could tackle it?
    Sorry to say but not even M105 with an aggressive wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer is going to remove the scratch or improve the scratch.

I've used the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème with the Lake Country 4 Inch Glass Cutting Pads to remove scratches using a rotary buffer. It actually worked pretty well.

It's messy but works... cover up any nearby plastic or rubber trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sorry to say but not even M105 with an aggressive wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer is going to remove the scratch or improve the scratch.

I've used the Diamondite® Glass Resurfacing Crème with the Lake Country 4 Inch Glass Cutting Pads to remove scratches using a rotary buffer. It actually worked pretty well.

It's messy but works... cover up any nearby plastic or rubber trim.

Thanks Mike, I ordered the Lake Country 4 inch Glass cutting pads....but I ordered the Diamondite Glasswork Restorer. I guess I got a little too ancy this morning when ordering. If the restorer doesn't do anything, I will try the glass resurfacing creme. Thanks everyone for their help.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to remove it with a DA and the kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vjeszczi View Post
    Would you be able to remove it with a DA and the kit?

That is what I plan on doing...hopefully it works. I will post the results here with the before and afters ( if any improvement) when I am done. Should be doing this next weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast