autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about Opti-Coating my car???

So i am really thinking about putting the Optimum coating on my car..I was kinda hesitant because I was worried about application. If I mess up and stuff I would have to buff it out and everything. I kinda like that it is as hard as clears and more scratch resistant and that will be a big help to me cause my paint on my car is soft as jello. Is the stuff really easy to apply? Also would I have enough to do my car and all my wheels from one syringe?

I have all these waxes that wont be used anymore and I dont know what i will do with myself since I wont have much to do on the car anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking about Opti-Coating my car???

The whole "scratch resistant" lingo really works my nerves because the reality of it is that it's not this super thick self healing repairing coating .. Its marginally thicker, will still allow water spots to etch, doesn't really PREVENT scratches, can be buffed off by hand (probably even with washes) and IMO is preventing detailers who do this for a living having repeat customers come back for other polishing services ... Yeah polishing removes some small amounts of clear but no one will ever know how much clear each car has unless it's re-spray .. I don't even want to get started on this jackace that asked me for an estimate on a three step and then asked me how many microns of clear I would remove ... I asked him how many microns of clear were on it and he said his readings were at 95 and he didn't want to go below 50 microns ... I asked him "so you've got about 40 mics of clear and he said no my paint meter says I have 95" .... SMH, i walked away

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

well anything that can help my paint not scratch as easy is a plus for me..My paint is stupid soft..I can see scratches just by wiping my finger onto the paint..Waterspots are not my concern the car is only drivin on dry days and stored in garage 90% of its life.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have nothing to lose, except $45 VIP Special. Go for it. It surely can't hurt and there are a lot of reasons it could help.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, do it.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

i did my gmc serria crew cab this weekend and had a little bit left over. theres a lot of talk about application but its not that hard. jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

I just read this thread : 20 ways you waste money on your car Now, Im thinking about doing it. What are the arguments against using Opti Coat?
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    So i am really thinking about putting the Optimum coating on my car..I was kinda hesitant because I was worried about application. If I mess up and stuff I would have to buff it out and everything. I kinda like that it is as hard as clears and more scratch resistant and that will be a big help to me cause my paint on my car is soft as jello. Is the stuff really easy to apply? Also would I have enough to do my car and all my wheels from one syringe?
    I have all these waxes that wont be used anymore and I dont know what i will do with myself since I wont have much to do on the car anymore.
    If you can apply waxes/sealants then you can apply "our" coating. It is much harder to prepare the surface for the coating than to actually apply it. It goes on like a WOWA sealant and if you do apply it too thick in a few spots, you can knock those spots down with Poliseal (our AIO) or Finish (our finishing polish) fairly quick. You don NOT have to remove it and start over, but only level the thick area and the initial coating adhered to the paint will remain. Because you already have soft paint, OC will be softer than it would be on it's own, but you should see some improvement for sure. Your car could be done with less than 10cc, so you should have double what you need with the 20cc syringe. And you will love how easily it comes clean. That will likely reduce much of the marring you're currently experiencing as you won't have to go over the car or scrub as much as you are currently.

Quote Originally Posted by fredcandetail View Post
    The whole "scratch resistant" lingo really works my nerves because the reality of it is that it's not this super thick self healing repairing coating .. Its marginally thicker, will still allow water spots to etch, doesn't really PREVENT scratches, can be buffed off by hand (probably even with washes) and IMO is preventing detailers who do this for a living having repeat customers come back for other polishing services ... Yeah polishing removes some small amounts of clear but no one will ever know how much clear each car has unless it's re-spray ..
    This is a short sighted way of looking at coatings. Polishing removes paint and the factory gives us very little. By installing a coating, you essentially only damage (swirl) and cut (polish/compound) the coating leaving the original film thickness intact. And your information is false: "our" coating adds about 2mil which is pretty thick for a single coat, vastly resists water spot etching (you may be thinking of CQuartz original version), and CANNOT be "buffed" off by hand polishing or washing as it becomes as permanent as the original paint coat is. A true detailer always uses the least aggressive method and excessive polishing should never be your goal regardless of sales. Coatings allow you to replace what you've removed, but you're suggesting to just keep removing and removing which shows that you are not looking for the best interest of your clients. I propose to sell them a coating to protect their original thickness, sell them appropriate care products, teach them appropriate techniques for maintenance or offer your services, and focus your efforts on cleaning and maintenance over excessive cutting/polishing. You can still clean, clay, use AIOs to boost, and polish "our" coating so you should NEVER be out of work...it'll just be easier work and who wouldn't want that??

Post Thanks / Like

If you're paint is soft enough that you're getting wash-induced marring or swirls from a QD you want Opti Coat. I experimented on my truck a bit before trying it on the super-soft black bike. If you've used Opti Seal you might as well already have used Opti Coat. There's too many issues being raised with application and high spots. IMO it's a non-issue.

I found on white I needed to apply with one hand with a Brinkmann in the other...it's almost impossible to see going on white. On the black I should've had better light but I was eager to see what's what. In the sun the next day I found some high spots... gave 'em a rub with Poli Seal and fixed it right up.

As for increased hardness, I went for a ride on the bike and got the front fairing covered with bug guts. Regardless of what I softened 'em up with previously cleaning the fairing always produced marring. I simply softened 'em up with a QD and wiped 'em off the Opti Coated surface, rolled it out in the sun and there wasn't a mark! I don't think Opti Coat is a cure-all for stoopid-soft paint that swirls when you look at it but it's gotta help. And it'll get even better as it cures and hardens more. I'm sold!

So if you Opti Coat what will you do with that Fuzion you scarfed up on sale down at the mall?

TL

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what i will do with the BlackFire Wet Diamond and the Midnight Sun I just bought the day Autopia got it in stock. I might get bored lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast