autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I would never think sugar could remove cement. Please post pics after u give the sugar a try. I'm very interested in this.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dried Cement on Paint

I'll get to it in a couple of weeks but I will post when done. I thought the same thing myself when I first read the sugar-water trick. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread apparently is not only a lesson on how to remove dried cement from your paint, but a lesson on how to handle groceries in the garage on a rainy day...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    I'll get to it in a couple of weeks but I will post when done. I thought the same thing myself when I first read the sugar-water trick. Lol.

Subscribed

I'll be interested to hear if this works....

For those reading this into the future, like Bob mentioned, Back-Set is a product made just for this type of problem.

One of my students, been through my Detailing Boot Camp Class posted this thread with his experience and before and after pictures.

How To Remove Concrete Overspray off car paint

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a company which does a lot of concrete testing on construction projects and also in the laboratory to determine the compressive strength of concrete samples. It is known in the concrete industry that adding sugar to a concrete mix can retard the hardening process (or hydration process) of concrete. In other words, by adding sugar to a mix of concrete, the concrete will take longer to harden or set.

Post Thanks / Like

Im almost tempted to splatter some concrete on my truck and test this sugar method out my self. Im too impatient and want to know now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Although I agree that sugar can screw up a batch of concrete faster than anything (one of my good friend is the largest concrete contractor in South Louisiana), I strongly suspect that the effect Frank described would apply mostly to the "uncured" concrete, rather than the set and cured product.

I live in sugarcane country and have had sugar in all form (from raw to refined) on the concrete of my shop, mixed with all kinds of chemicals (acidic and alkaline) and I haven't seen any dissolving of my concrete. I am not saying it does not have any effects, but would question the chemistry a little. Acetic acid (vinegar) does had a pH of 2.4, so who knows!?!?

Subscribing to see if we have found the million dollar idea.... or the next best salad dressing (since those two are the primary ingredients)

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    I work for a company which does a lot of concrete testing on construction projects and also in the laboratory to determine the compressive strength of concrete samples. It is known in the concrete industry that adding sugar to a concrete mix can retard the hardening process (or hydration process) of concrete. In other words, by adding sugar to a mix of concrete, the concrete will take longer to harden or set.
    When cements, including any of their admixtures, cure/dry/set-up...Do they not become concrete?

With that in mind:
    I can see where: Sugar(s)...will retard cements' setting-up processes...even, IMO: sometimes indefinitely. (Probably by preventing the formation of some silicate hydrate of calcium or another.)

So...It would be interesting to know:
    How sugar(s) would work to reverse those processes of what it takes to have a:
    Now already, has been set-up/"dried"/cured concrete.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    When cements, including any of their admixtures, cure/dry/set-up...Do they not become concrete?
    Bob, Bob, Bob...cement is merely an ingredient in concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    ...cement is merely an ingredient in concrete.
    This is true. There is a difference between concrete and cement. Concrete normally consist of cement, coarse aggregates (or rocks), fine aggregates (or sand) and water. Cement is like the glue that holds them all together.

I was referring that sugar can be a retardant to "wet" or unhardened concrete though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast