autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3M Ultrafine se or "Ultrafina"

I was using this product on an A3 as a polish after using 3M's perfect it fast cut compund. I used the Ultrafina with a Griots DA and a LC white pad, at a speed of about 4.5-5. After about 2 section passes it started to cake. I was using medium to firm pressure. It did a wonderfull job,I'm just concerned about the caking. Is this supposed to happen?? Was I using too much pressure; speed;
    All input is welcome.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Ultrafine se or "Ultrafina"

Not a user, but maybe too much product.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

This product is only recommended for a rotary buffer, could be part of the issue. If the product is caking I agree with dougaross that you could be using too much of it, try cutting back on what you are laying on top of the pad and ensure you're priming the pad thoroughly.

If you are still having the same issue after experimenting you may want to consider switching to a DA compliant finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD or PO106FA, the new formula Optimum Finish Polish looks intriguing as well.

Ultrafine (06068) is different than Ultrafina (50383), the latter is the UK/Euro version of the product and needs to be imported.

Let us know how you make out.

Post Thanks / Like

Both ultrafina and ultrafine in the US are the same product. There was just a name change when they went with the new bottles. You wont finde the UK version here as it is a totally different products and is not VOC compliant.

With your caking issues use less product and more speed. Ultrafina is designed for rotary use at 1800rpm.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys! Im actually in Europe and have the Ultrafina. I have used it before with the DA, but the difference was that i was using 3M's dedicated blue pad, at the same speed's. It seems to work better though with the LC white around 95% swirl removal. I did realize that I was using too much product, so maybe I'll cut back on that. Can you please link the priming procedure if its handy. I want to review how much we use to prime the pad.
    Thank you!
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Im actually in Europe and have the Ultrafina. I have used it before with the DA, but the difference was that i was using 3M's dedicated blue pad, at the same speed's. It seems to work better though with the LC white around 95% swirl removal. I did realize that I was using too much product, so maybe I'll cut back on that. Can you please link the priming procedure if its handy. I want to review how much we use to prime the pad.
    Thank you!
    Andy
    Mike Phillips did a nice write up with photos on pad priming with a DA:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

Assumed you were in the US...did not think GG DAs came in 220v.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devo242 View Post
    Mike Phillips did a nice write up with photos on pad priming with a DA:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

Assumed you were in the US...did not think GG DAs came in 220v.
    Thank you for the link Devo!

The GG is identical to power and shape with my Kestler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devo242 View Post
    This product is only recommended for a rotary buffer, could be part of the issue. If the product is caking I agree with dougaross that you could be using too much of it, try cutting back on what you are laying on top of the pad and ensure you're priming the pad thoroughly.

If you are still having the same issue after experimenting you may want to consider switching to a DA compliant finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD or PO106FA, the new formula Optimum Finish Polish looks intriguing as well.

Ultrafine (06068) is different than Ultrafina (50383), the latter is the UK/Euro version of the product and needs to be imported.

Let us know how you make out.

Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I just read Mike's article again, and just realized something...
    a quote "This can lead to pad saturation starting at the center of the pad where most of the heat is generated." At the end of my last pass I noticed in the center of the pad, where heat builds up most, the polish had turned into droplets, which were sitting on top of the pad!!!! Using too much product I can now understand. Could it be i was using too much pressure??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Could it be i was using too much pressure??
    This is certainly possible. Ensure you are priming the pad adequately, and reduce pressure on the DA as you finish a polishing cycle. Also, before you start drastically altering your technique you may want to consider the following:

* You are using a line of products that are recommended for a rotary polisher on a DA. That is not to say that it cannot work, as you state in your original post that you are pleased with the finished results, but you may want to try again with a DA-friendly line of compounds/polishes first.

* You are moving from a compound directly to a finishing polish which seems like a big jump, why not instead move to the next step polish in the 3M system (3M Extra Fine)? This should level the compound induced marring quicker than the Ultrafina, therefore negating the need to work the Ultrafina beyond its buffing cycle. Depending on the level of defects the compounding step may not be necessary, likewise, the finishing step you are using Ultrafina for may not be needed, as the 3M Extra Fine Polish may produce the desired gloss. A test spot will be the indicator on the best approach here though.

Keep experimenting and let us know how you make out.

Best,
    Shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast