autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Best Dual Action Polisher? Rupes - Griot's - Porter Cable - Meguiar's

Best Dual Action Polisher? Rupes - Griot's - Porter Cable - Meguiar's

This is one of those Ford vs Chevy or Honda vs Toyota questions.

People are both different and unique in their viewpoints as well as how they approach life and there will never be a good or easy way to answer the question of which is the best dual action polisher that satisfies everyone so in the end the best dual action polisher is either,

• The one closest to your hand.
    • The one you like best.

Size and Shape
    Besides all that, someone asked me in another thread what I like about the Rupes Duetto as compared to the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and Bigfoot 21 and my answer is that I like that it is the size and shape of the original dual action polisher that started it all and that is the Porter Cable dual action polisher. The Duetto is very similar to the size and shape of the Porter Cable so since I already liked the PC it was easy to transition those affections towards the Duetto.

Handles
    I'm not a big fan of handles on most tools and especially these types of tools. In fact I have a couple of articles on removing the handles that come with dual action polishers and pitching them and never looking back.

Handle? Or No Handle? - Using DA Polishers Without the Handle

So I like the fact that the Rupes Duetto doesn't have a handle and is designed for easy gripping for your hands.

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

I also like the higher RPMs and shorter length to the orbit stroke.

The Duetto offers a 12mm length orbit stroke while the Bigfoot 21 offers 21mm length orbit stroke and the Bigfoot 15 offers 15mm length orbit stroke.

The Porter Cable, Griot's Garage and Meguiar's dual action polishers all offer 8mm length orbit stroke, so like the story about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Duetto is perfectly in-between the other extremes offered by comparable tools. For me it just feels right.

Someone else recently asked me why I chose to use the Rupes Duetto for a recent car project and my answer is that while historically for the type of work I was going to do I would reach for the Porter Cable, now days I find myself reaching for the Duetto. That means somewhere internally, when my brain thinks about running a tool for hours to buff out a car I automatically choose or reach for the Duetto.

I mentioned that I liked this tool before I actually knew the real mechanical reason in post #51 of this thread.

New Rupes LHR75E Mini in action

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Mike--what is it about the Duetto that impressed you more than the 15 and 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The simple answer is I like how it works better. I didn't know why I liked how it works better till I spoke with Marco at SEMA.

He told me because it has a shorter orbit stroke than the Bigfoot 15 and Bigfoot 21 they purposefully designed it to offer a higher rotation speed or higher rpm to go with the smaller orbiter stroke.

I didn't know this technical feature for this tool when I received the prototypes back in April, all I knew after using the tool is that I really liked how it operated.

So that's why I tend and trend to now reach for the Rupes Duetto when I want to use a free spinning type of dual action polisher. This tool won't replace the Flex PE14 or DeWALT rotary buffer or the Flex 3401 when I feel the need for the type of correction and polishing ability these to very different types of tools offer as compared to the type of drive mechanism offered by the Rupes, Porter Cable, Griot's and Meguiar's type of drive mechanism.

Wood Sanders to Paint Polishers
    I've been working with the Porter Cable dual action sand as a paint polisher since it was introduced from the wood sanding world to the paint polishing world back sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

In fact I have an article that covers this topic here,

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

The only thing that remains the same is change...
    I've watched this industry go from using primarily rotary buffers and traditional orbital buffers to switching over to the Porter Cable style of polishers for the last 25+ years.

A few years ago I knew a tipping point, (The title of a book by Malcolm Gladwell that I highly recommend), had been reached and the market was ready for a high end dual action polisher. I shared these thoughts with the people I knew at the time would have the ability to bring forth such a tool but as of today, nothing has come from my suggestions at that meeting.

Secret meeting with the Flex Engineers!

Show me the pictures!
    With that all said, I know a number of people have been asking for some side-by-side pictures of all four dual action polishers together.

Here you go...

More info and prices here...

Rupes LHR 12E Duetto Random Orbital Polisher

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

Griot's Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Meguiars Dual Action Polisher G110v2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Dual Action Polisher? Rupes - Griot's - Porter Cable - Meguiar's

Mike, thanks for the write up and comparision.

The Duetto has a max speed of 5500, which is below the other DAs, and only 500 above the Rupes 15 with the same size pad. Do you notice the addditional speed over the Rupes 15, and is there a noticeable difference in vibration and ability to stall the pad as compared to the Rupes 15?

Also do you notice a change in speed going from speed 5 to speed 6 on the Duetto and the Rupes 15. On the Rupes 15, I can hear a difference in speed 1 through 5, but no change at above speed 5. On my PC, I can a hear a difference in speed through the entire range.

Post Thanks / Like

The free spinning spindle still allows the pad to stop, I used a duetto while visiting Mike, still stops just like the 15/21 models. Nice unit for those small spaces, intricate areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this article Mike!!

-I've been looking for a DA-polisher solution that will lessen the effects generally associated with
    the vibration amplitude levels, over time, that are inherent of many Dual Action Polishers.

I've used all of the polishers that's shown above, save the RUPES Duetto.

-Not knowing what specific vibration analysis testing this DA polisher has undergone;
    or what the results of any such testing would be:
    I wonder if this RUPES DA polisher is the cat's pajamas for my above stated purpose?

-I cannot continue to detail vehicles...not even my own...using my current line-up of DA polishers.
    (I may have to revert back to my rotary days---or get a Cyclo...
    as has been suggested by forum member Paul Mitchell)

-Even though I usually act too miserly:
    Whether it's during AGO sales events, or not (gotta watch out for the Wife's assets, I've been told)...

I shouldn't have to continue to remind myself that having:
    The Best of Health...is the most important asset one can ever have!

-A take on an old adage:
    "Can Somebody spare me a Duetto"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

nice! first time I've seen a photo of the new 75e beside the other DAs.

I got to play with a 75e last month. I should have taken photos when I had the chance.

I brought up that it was similar in size to the Porter but nobody believed me :P

I think the most interesting question now is if the 75e is worth it over the other polishers when all equipped to use 3-4" pads.

I'll attempt to compare their correcting power in a review when I receive my 75e.
    OCD

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post

Mike, thanks for the write up and comparison.

The Duetto has a max speed of 5500, which is below the other DAs, and only 500 above the Rupes 15 with the same size pad. Do you notice the additional speed over the Rupes 15, and is there a noticeable difference in vibration and ability to stall the pad as compared to the Rupes 15?
    First just to note, besides a pictorial comparison, this isn't and wasn't intended to be a comparison of technical aspects between the different models. I'm confident someone else will do that and it will take a lot of time to do a fair and balanced review and comparison.

As I type this it's December 31st and I don't have the time for that kind of article. I did make the time to take and process the pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure.

As for my my opinion, mostly what I like is everything, that is I like the size and layout, as in no forward handle like the Bigfoot series. I've used the PC for decades now and it's what I like for size and shape, so as I said above, because the Duetto is the same basic size and shape PLUS layout you could call this "body design", I like it.

I like how smooth it is and I like it's correction and polishing ability.

So the sum of the above while keeping it very simple is I like and prefer the Duetto as compared to the other similar polishers. (Meguiar's, PC, Griot's, Bigfoot 15 and 21), and this is what I mean when I say when going to buff out a car and choosing THIS TYPE OF TOOL, (not a rotary, not a Flex 3401 as these are different TYPES), I find myself reaching for the Duetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tresca View Post

Also do you notice a change in speed going from speed 5 to speed 6 on the Duetto and the Rupes 15. On the Rupes 15, I can hear a difference in speed 1 through 5, but no change at above speed 5. On my PC, I can a hear a difference in speed through the entire range.
    I would have to pay attention next time. My normal nature when buffing out a car is to,

1. Do the Test Spot and science out my process.
    2. Get busy buffing out the car.

Every minute the buffer is not running is a minute longer the job will take.

Mike Phillips

When I whipped this article out today, mostly I wanted to share pictures of the four similar tools so people in the ether land can easily see them side-by-side to get a really good look at them.

For me, I can just walk out to the garage, place them all next to each other, choose and use anyone I like etc.

For the thousands of people that visit this site each day, both members and lurkers, you all don't have that luxury. I think I posted above a few people have asked me to post pictures of these tools altogether so they could get a good look at them together.

Done.

I took multiple pictures from different angles, cropped the pictures down to 800 pixels wide and then uploaded them to the gallery and then inserted them into this thread.

Now people that are logged-in members and Lurkers that by default are NOT logged-in can see full size pictures of all the various tools.

Just to note... if a person "attaches" an image, in most case lurkers to this forum cannot see the pictures.

I know as a like-minded tool guy like the rest of you... if I were on the other side of the monitor when on this forum I would like to see some "good" pictures. I would also be keenly interested in the new guy on the block as "new" tools are not introduced to our market everyday, not even every month and not even every year...

So there's a lot of interest.

How's that?

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine bought the Rupes 21 and the Rupes 15 backing plate. Now they have the benefits of the longer throw and a smaller backing plate.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    A friend of mine bought the Rupes 21 and the Rupes 15 backing plate. Now they have the benefits of the longer throw and a smaller backing plate.

I have that set-up in the garage too with the washer mod and for that shape and design of tool it works very well. I still choose the Duetto over it or any 21 or 15 when I want that "type" of tool.

Just personal preference.

Everyone attending my Detailing Boot Camp Classes this year will get a chance to use them on on really cool cars and make up their own mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike! i gotta agree with you on the duetto! perfect size with a good throw to it! saving up my money so i can get it!
    p.s. isn't the duetto supposed to be really smooth right? no numb hands?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast