autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Nebraska Get Together - Be part of the team!

Nebraska Get Together - Be part of the team!

Open to Autogeek Online Forum Members
    I've been given the OK to invite a few of our regular forum members to attend and help out with the wetsanding, cutting and buffing of the Christmas Muscle Car Project.

That is we would like to open this project up to a few of our regular forum members to join us to knock out this project. While most of my classes and GTG's are open to anyone of any background, including absolute Newbies to seasoned Pro, this is a project that actually requires a person to know the basics of machine buffing and also have some experience under their belt.

If you don't know how to hand wetsand or machine dampsand that's okay because these are more advanced techniques and we have a pretty good team to handle the sanding already in place. There's lots to do and we only have 2 days to go from start to finish.

I've had a number of forum members contact me about being a part of the A-Team, (Autogeek Team), so this is the thread to reply to if you want to be part of this project.

Sign-up List

1. Ben aka Wors
    2. 07gtcs
    3. Paul aka Sailfish

This will be a lot of fun so if you meet the criteria above and want to help us to make history, then reply to this thread...

Here's where Yancy, Special Guest and myself are staying...

Holiday Inn Express --> Click this to go to their website
    3939 N. 26th Street
    Lincoln, Nebraska 68521

Here's the shop address

Pro Header Systems
    3920 North 27th Street
    Lincoln NE 68521

Mapquest shows the shop to be 51 seconds or .22 miles away, so the Holiday Inn Express is very close to the shop. We also says there are lots of restaurants in that area.

Directions and Map

Mike Phillips

Re: Nebraska Get Together - Be part of the team!

Just to note...

Schedule
    We start early Friday morning and the goal is to be completely finished by Saturday later afternoon.

Yancy and I plus our special VIP guest arrive Thursday but we won't start until Friday morning.

Flex Tools
    Also, Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Tools North America will be at the shop on Friday to lend a hand with the project and he's bringing some Flex Goodies for those attending.

And don't forget to enter to win a Flex Polisher by posting your guess to this thread...

Win a Flex Polisher - Guess the Year, Make & Model

One guess per forum member...

Post Thanks / Like

Mark me down please.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post

Mark me down please.
    I've added you to the list... we'll have name tags so okay to add your first name to the sign-up list?

Mike Phillips

***Live Broadcast***
    And don't forget... we will be doing some live broadcasts showing the process. Here's the link to click to and bookmark...

Live Broadcast times to be announced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've added you to the list... we'll have name tags so okay to add your first name to the sign-up list?

Sure, it is Ben.

Post Thanks / Like

If things were better for me I'd jump all over this opportunity to help Mr. Phillips with this project. I have all the time in the world, but...

I'm surprised this list hasn't filled up already.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    If things were better for me I'd jump all over this opportunity to help Mr. Phillips with this project. I have all the time in the world, but...

I'm surprised this list hasn't filled up already.

Not sure how many people live in and around the Lincoln or Omaha Nebraska area.

All my life in this industry, I always meet people that want to learn how to wetsand paint and create a show car finish. Now here's an opportunity to not only learn a lot of tips and techniques on not just wetsanding but also how to use a rotary buffer and best of all... on a really cool car, not a hood, cookie sheet or rental car.

I like sharing these types of events just like when I was your neck of the woods and we had a mini detailing class AND a special guest...

Pictures with Dennis Gage at the Evansville Detailing Class

Evansville GTG

There was plenty of hands-on going on at this GTG too...

I'd say chances to participate in a project like this only come around once in a while...

Mike Phillips

This thread here captures the idea of the kind of work that goes into the real deal...

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Most people don't need to wetsand and probably shouldn't wetsand but if you're ever working on a project that requires sanding then do yourself a favor and get yourself a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and then get the Meguiar's 3" Unigrit Finishing Discs and the 3" Interface Pad and you're going to love what this little tool can do.

Here's a few pictures from our recent Wetsanding Project where we machine dampsanded my friend Jay's 1989 K5 Blazer which you're going to see on the 2nd Season of our TV show, What's in the Garage".

Because the 3" sanding and finishing discs have such a small footprint the are EASY to control so you can sand close to edges or tape lines with accuracy.

If you're NEW to any type of sanding, the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher used as 3" Dampsander is a great way to learn and increase your confidence in the art of machine sanding.

End results...
    After the orange peel, runs and dirt nibs were removed, the paint was compounded and machine polished and after 30 days air dry the paint was sealed.

It's lot of work but it's very rewarding plus the comradery...

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to just come out for the day on Saturday?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast