autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Hybrid 3" Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The larger machines can be converted to 3", but the Shrouds are sort of large on machines like the PC7424XP, GG6. Thus you might be banging the Shroud into tight areas like license plate cubby holes, around mirrors, etc. I bought a "PC Guard" for my PC's Shroud, but all it is, is a length of peel and stick foam rubber weatherstrip tape.

The Rupes Mini looks like a Machine I'd like having! Thing is, it is called a 3", but I see no 3" Pads sold by Rupes here on site? I only see 4"

So then what, must one then buy other brand 3" Pads? Not a problem I know, but would've assumed Rupes themselves would have these?
    Anyone know?
    Those Rupes pads are 3" at the velcro, and 4" at the face.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autogeek View Post
    Jorge,

LC Hybrid & LC Flat pads have different foam compositions and different colors. But the main pads do match up to the Hybrid Colors:
    Compound - Orange
    Polish - White
    Finishing - Red or Black

The only Flat 3" pad I would recommend that doesn't match the Hybrid colors is the Yellow Flat pad which is for heavy compounding.
    That is what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation Paul! I'll take a look into the yellow flat pad but lately I been thinking of moving over to MF pads for heavy corrections after realizing how hard it was to correct a black BMW 335i.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeSanchez View Post
    lately I been thinking of moving over to MF pads for heavy corrections after realizing how hard it was to correct a black BMW 335i.
    The 3" Megs DAMF Cutting pads are a defect destroyer.

Be careful, especially on plastic bumpers, as they do generate more heat than foam.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    The 3" Megs DAMF Cutting pads are a defect destroyer.

Be careful, especially on plastic bumpers, as they do generate more heat than foam.
    Thanks for the tidbit AGOatemywallet, on a side note, what are some techniques to avoid burning through the clear coat when using MF pads on bumpers? I assume you were referring to burning the clear when you stated that MF pads generate more heat than traditional foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeSanchez View Post
    Thanks for the tidbit AGOatemywallet, on a side note, what are some techniques to avoid burning through the clear coat when using MF pads on bumpers? I assume you were referring to burning the clear when you stated that MF pads generate more heat than traditional foam pads.
    Work an area larger than normal

Swap pads often to let them cool

Blowing out with compressed air helps cool the pad and BP

Use your hand to constantly check for heat build-up

Watch the amount of downward pressure. Remember it is focused on a much smaller are than a 5" pad

More likely to "twist" paint than "burn" it

Post Thanks / Like

Look into the LC Hydrotech low pro pads. They work great on Rupes mini, converted PC's and GG6's. Even work ok on GG3. Also as stated, the Megs MF discs work well also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Look into the LC Hydrotech low pro pads. They work great on Rupes mini, converted PC's and GG6's. Even work ok on GG3. Also as stated, the Megs MF discs work well also.
    How thick are they?

The thinnest 3" Hydrotech pads I have are 3" × 7/8".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    How thick are they?

The thinnest 3" Hydrotech pads I have are 3" × 7/8".
    7/8" is pretty low profile. Depending on the machine that they are being used on, you don't have to use any pressure. Just the weight of the machine is more than enough. I use them on my Rupes mini and and my Kompakt and love em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The larger machines can be converted to 3", but the Shrouds are sort of large on machines like the PC7424XP, GG6. Thus you might be banging the Shroud into tight areas like license plate cubby holes, around mirrors, etc. I bought a "PC Guard" for my PC's Shroud, but all it is, is a length of peel and stick foam rubber weatherstrip tape.

The Rupes Mini looks like a Machine I'd like having! Thing is, it is called a 3", but I see no 3" Pads sold by Rupes here on site? I only see 4"

So then what, must one then buy other brand 3" Pads? Not a problem I know, but would've assumed Rupes themselves would have these?
    Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autogeek View Post
    Hybrid Pads were developed for use with the Flex 3401 so I wouldn't imagine that they would make a 3" Hybrid Pad (considering that the Flex can only go down to a 4" backing plate)... But SEMA is just around the corner so we will see!

If you're looking to do correction with a 3" polisher then I would recommend going with the Rupes 75E. It can be done with other machines but as it has been mentioned before the shroud becomes a problem.

I've found the Rupes 4" pads to work flawlessly and haven't had any problem with them being too big to work on pillars, bumpers, or other intricate areas.

If you're locked in on getting 3" pads then I would highly recommend the Lake Country Flat Pads, which work great on any of the 3" machines, includeing the Rupes.
    I've had the Rupes Mini for a year and a half or so. It is an awesome machine and worth every penny. I use the Rupes pads for polishing and some Buff and Shine 4" pads for LSP's. I also use the machine as my preferred method for applying all LSP's. It's fast, lightweight, nimble and very smooth. I couldn't imagine not having this tool in my detailing arsenal. A 3" BP on a PC or GG6 just isn't even close to the Mini in so many ways. It will tear up LC 3" pads very easily if run to fast as they heat up really quickly. On this machine for polishing your better off sticking with the Rupes pads, they hold up better. I blew out a number of 3" LC pads.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Mini Pads:

Just to add a note the Rupes Mini pads vs. other guys 3" pads. The Rupes pad being beveled allows you to cut into tight areas more easily than say the 3" pad. The Rupes pad base is 3" but being wider at the surface contact point it is actually better than a 3" pad. It allows you to get in to the tight area while minimizing banging the polisher into say a mirror or tight bumper area. I share this from personal experience. You can also see your work better because of the beveling of the Rupes pad. I'll take the Rupes 4" pad over the other 3" pads all day long.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast