autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber pads questions

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    I switched compound steps with meg MF pad with D300
    watched this combo in action last week on a wrecked '14 Cayman. it worked very well...and fast. Rupes machine but not sure on size.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

i had to send meguiars mt300 back, because it was having issue only after 2 cars.

so i just decided to upgrade to rupes 21es
    cant wait till it gets here!!
    it will save me so much time!! urgggg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Use foam last longer same results and don't have to clean them every 3 minutes .
    I have not found this to be true. What microfiber pads have you used and what foam pads do you use that last longer? I have found that with proper technique and polishing fluids, microfiber cutting pads can quickly level severe defects and leave a nearly LSP finish on most paint systems.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    I have not found this to be true. What microfiber pads have you used and what foam pads do you use that last longer? I have found that with proper technique and polishing fluids, microfiber cutting pads can quickly level severe defects and leave a nearly LSP finish on most paint systems.

This. I use MF on my hard vw paint and finishes to almost a LSP ready service. Its crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying they don't last ,I'm saying there useless who wants to stop every 10 min to clean it .Then it's every 7 min cause now it's fully primed then it's 5 min , then put on a fresh useless pad and repeat the whole process again waste of time time is money equals use foam ,if a foam pad is not lasting on a 8 hr paint correction there's some thing wrong ,just yesterday I threw out a orange cutting foam pad that I've used on 3 faded rv a Pilates airplane a electric generator and finally a light correction on a 14 Dodge Ram 5500 .i saw that pad it was in schamble dead ripped on the backing I and saying to my self mike Phillips gave me that pad 8 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

And u will get marring especially,when you're grinding away doing nothing micro pads are awesome on glass ,or a brand new car that just need very little love .I once fired a guy cause he took a half the day on one side of the car ,only to get now 3 guys 3 machines with foam pads and knock this job out I don't get married with paint corrections

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying they don't last. I'm saying they're useless. Who wants to stop every 10 min to clean it? -- (edited for clarity)
    For intensive correction work we clean out microfiber pads much more frequently than that. In fact, I like to clean them out after every single working area. The fiber structure of the microfiber "fingers" are very similar to microfiber towels. They hold on to polish, paint residue, etc., so it is important to clean them frequently to ensure maximum cutting ability. Otherwise you will have abraded paint residue coating the fibers and blocking the abrasives in your correction fluid from contacting the paint. A dirty, matted down, pad will have significantly less cutting ability compared to a new or freshly cleaned pad.

GSKR, It's fine that you don't like to use microfiber pads. Everyone has their own preferences. I am only giving tips to the OP who asked how to clean them out. Simply saying "Switch to foam pads, microfiber pads don't work," is not a helpful way to contribute to the discussion, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

They just get to matted quickly,you can get foam pads and not have to do all that cleaning ,why the extra work is all I'm implying.

Post Thanks / Like

They just get to matted quickly,you can get foam pads and not have to do all that cleaning ,why the extra work is all I'm implying.
    Using an air gun you can totally clean out a microfiber pad in about 5 seconds. We actually clean our foam pads, on the fly, the same way using compressed air. I keep the air gun and polish right next to me while I'm working so there is really no time lost at all during the polishing process. Working with a clean pad at all times also reduces the time necessary to level defects since the surface of the pad will not be clogged with abraded paint residue.

How do you normally clean your pads on the fly?

Post Thanks / Like

i thought everyone cleans the MF pads after every working section. it literally takes 10 seconds total to walk over, grab the nozzle, hit them and walk back. they are great. i have a lot of foam because that's what i invested in and i'm about as amateur as you can imagine, so i have a little more time to waste, but i have several MF pads and think they are awesome. like i said, i watched D300 and an MF pad in action last week and it worked perfectly and FAST on the Cayman.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast