autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Replacing Pads

Apparently, I have had very bad luck with my pad choices so far. Pretty frustrated at this point, so looking for some information. I have used the LC 5.5 pads on my GG6 and never really cared for them because I couldn't use them for more than a minute before they were completely collapsing. The 3" pads from LC were even worse and are separating from the foam after limited use. The black pads from LC have worn completely unevenly for some reason, also with limited use. As you can see in the picture, one has the holes and on the other one they are almost completely gone. No, I don't use them at high speeds. The highest speed I will go is 3 when finishing.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up some Meguiar's 5" and 3" MF cutting pads. The 2nd time I used the 5" pads, the MF started separating from the foam and was flapping all around. I used the 3" pad just once on a bumper cover last night and it cracked and began to separate. I attached some pictures for reference.

I need to swap all of my pads and start over. I am picking up a Flex PE8 Kompakt in the near future so I think my pad choices are limited there, but I need some 5.5" pads for my GG. I liked the MF a lot, I could cut quicker and sometimes didn't even have to do a separate polish, I could top with 151 so looking for some MF cutting pads and probably foam polishing and finishing pads.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Any idea what happened here? I would attached pictures but the uploads fail every time. Guessing they are to big or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Replacing Pads

That is wild that they getting destroyed so fast.

Which type of LC pad are you using? They Usually collapse from getting to hot.

Are you making your passes too slow or maybe your GG6 has some issues creating extra friction causing he backing plate to get to hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    That is wild that they getting destroyed so fast.

Which type of LC pad are you using? They Usually collapse from getting to hot.

Are you making your passes too slow or maybe your GG6 has some issues creating extra friction causing he backing plate to get to hot.
    I had posted a thread a little while back on that issue. I just think foam isn't for me. I just threw that info into my complaining today for s&g.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take a look at Buff & Shine foam and MF pads. They are very durable and the Velcro doesn't separate from the foam or MF. I've been using them for 4 years now on my GG6 and now with my G15 and have had no problems. The yellow, orange and red foam are all Euro foam which seems to be the most durable of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

i had this issue when i started using the new version of the meguiars MF cutting discs. it had a lot to do with the downward pressure i was applying. i changed my technique and they started lasting a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    You might want to take a look at Buff & Shine foam and MF pads. They are very durable and the Velcro doesn't separate from the foam or MF. I've been using them for 4 years now on my GG6 and now with my G15 and have had no problems. The yellow, orange and red foam are all Euro foam which seems to be the most durable of the line.
    Nice, I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@landrover View Post
    i had this issue when i started using the new version of the meguiars MF cutting discs. it had a lot to do with the downward pressure i was applying. i changed my technique and they started lasting a lot longer.
    I car that I used these on was trashed, so I had to put some decent pressure on the pad when I was compounding. Even though it was more pressure than normal, it was the same pressure that I would normally put on an orange foam pad. If that is the reason it tore, that's disappointing. They should be able to handle more than that, especially two uses!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems strange that your having problems like that. I dont use Lake Country, but ive never had problems with Buff & Shine

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the foam pads and one of the MF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Replacing Pads-20150810_190920-jpg   Help Replacing Pads-20150812_211608-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not using Meguiar's "micro hook" backing plate, or something similar, this could be why the Megs pads are failing.

Personally I've used Buff and Shine made pads since 2013. They're getting worn now, but still work great. Specifically the green for cutting, and blue for polishing. They're very tough, we'll made, and resilient. I chose the open cell pads for their inherent cutting ability, and durability. They're softer, but still cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    If you're not using Meguiar's "micro hook" backing plate, or something similar, this could be why the Megs pads are failing.
    Very possible!

There is/was an EXCELLENT write-up over at MOL the Mike Stoops wrote that really shows and explains this.

Just curious, how many 'miles' are on the black LC pad you pictured?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast