autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor freight pads

i think the pads are fine for the price. just need the right backing plate as to not tear the back. i'd much rather use a LC or Megs cutting pad, but ive had no problems with the finishing or polishing ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned that the orange pad on a rotary with menzerna fg400 works amazing. I have had a little trouble with them on the d/a even with a 5 inch backing plate getting hot and coming apart but u have also had me guitars microfiber discs and lake country hydro tech cyan pads deteriorate some with minimal use. Basically everyone says these pads are terrible on a d/a try them on your rotary and see how they work out. For me it was a pretty good experience.
    Detailing in Colorado since 2001

Post Thanks / Like

A friend at work bought some to do his boat total junk I had some 6.5" that I don't use anymore so I gave them to him, really bad pads don't waste your money.

Mike Phillips

Where's that Harbor Freight discussion forum?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a blue 6" Harbor Freight pad for the first time recently on my Griot's Garage DA polisher, but only for a few minutes. I noticed afterwards that the pad's Velcro didn't go all the way to the edge, and the Velcro hooks on the backing plate started to tear into the unprotected edge of the pad. I would guess this the main thing that's causing people to experience short lifespans with these pads.

I Googled the problem and found a couple of YouTube videos on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1BMzEHq3eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jpgFtrPv80

I have no idea why Harbor Freight doesn't fix this problem. I went ahead and ordered a 5" backing plate, which I don't have yet, to see if that solves the problem. I'd really like to use the Harbor Freight pads because I feel pretty silly buying name-brand, Velcro-covered pieces of foam for $10 each that probably cost $0.50 to manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
    I have no idea why Harbor Freight doesn't fix this problem.
    I would guess because HF is a reseller of oem products. They focus on selling things as low as possible.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a 5" backing plate, which I don't have yet, to see if that solves the problem. I'd really like to use the Harbor Freight pads because I feel pretty silly buying name-brand, Velcro-covered pieces of foam for $10 each that probably cost $0.50 to manufacture.
    Why would you take the chance with cheap pads if you're going to take the time to polish your car??

You can get very high quality 5.5" Buff & Shine pads from Autoality for $6.00 each in a 5 pack and I'm sure Nick will meet or beat that price. And, if you take care of them with proper cleaning and don't try to do an entire car with 1 or 2 pads, they will last you a good long while.

Post Thanks / Like

I detail everyday for a living so sometimes I look for a bargain to increase my bottom line.The foam pads orange cutting is junk ,The problem is tha backing doesn't have a high threshold for extreme high revved da performance . The wool pads are ok,and the blue finishing foam will just fall a part And forget about washing them.They are once and done pads.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny story about those horrific HF pads.

Went on a job with a local 'high end' guy back in 2013. Car was a big black Lexus. His client, his pads. He handed me a HF pad and said to go at it on this car with Menz SI 1500. I literally barely got through a single section and the pad was 'snowing' all over the clients garage! Another pad... same thing! The garage by that time looked like someone had been removing popcorn ceiling all over the place.

Finally he dug through his bag and handed me a crusty CCS orange pad. It was better, but HOLY COW. (Far too dirty IMO to be doing a final buff with.) Decided I better get new, clean pads from my bag and do it right.

Haven't picked up a HF pad before then, since then... and never will.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I also forgot to mention that also any raised body lines will desinagrate those pads real quick crap all over the car.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast