autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Switching from Foam to MF

I have been using LC foam pads for a while now. I decided to switch it up and try something new. I am going to pick up a cutting and polishing MF pad here in the near future and had some questions. I currently run a 5.5 inch pad on the GG6" and also 3 inch pads on the GG 6".

What I am wondering is, do I need just one of each? I generally go through about 4-5 foam pads on one vehicle but I wasn't sure how it worked for MF. I couldn't really find any "How To" articles on how to dive into the MF system from foam. I have a pad cleaning brush and understand the principles there but I wasn't sure if one pad for the whole car would work or what. Any good articles out there in making the foam to MF switch? Any brand recommendations? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Switching from Foam to MF

MF is the same as foam, you have to change it often as well. Maybe a bit less, like three MF instead of four foams.
    Best for cleaning MF is compressed air. Pad cleaning brush is OK, but compressed air is lot better.
    You also can cut with MF finishing pad. MF cutting pads cut a lot.
    I usually use MF pads on a Rupes. Long throw polishers and MF is a excellent combo, I never use it in a Flex for instance.
    There are a lot of good MF pads, Meguiar's, Lake Country, CarPro, Rupes etc. I have several brands of MF pads, and I also like the rotary MF pad from Lake Country because of the thicker foam. I even have some Chinese MF pads, the ones any company put its brand on it, and also work good. I buy by the dozen, so to speak, so I can polish metal, wheels, and then throw it away .
    Although a lot of people do it, I seldom use MF for finishing, prefer foam instead. If you buy the thin Meguiar's pad, you need a foam interface.
    Meguiar's MF is a safe bet, with the Extra Cut, Cut and Polishing types.
    It will also depend of the paint systems, in soft paints cutting can be achieved with MF finishing pad. The Extra Cut is for hard paints, mostly.
    I prefer MF over wool, dealing with MF haze afterwards is easier than wool's swirls.
    To be on the safe side, start with MF finishing pads, for you to get the hang of it, and then progressively you step up.
    I hope it helped a bit. Best regards

Post Thanks / Like

You're going to want several pads. MF cutting pads generate a lot of heat, and have a higher failure rate (caused by delamination of velcro and pad) because of the excess heat. I would recommend having 4+ MF cutting pads for an entire car.

If you want to extend the life of the pads, switch to a new pad after each panel, and allow it to cool before using it again. Clean the pad after each section with a brush and/or compressed air to keep the fibers from getting clogged and matted down.

I know some people use MF finishing discs, but I personally think foam is a better choice for refining the paint after cutting with MF cutting pads. In my opinion, I would skip the MF finishing pads and either buy more cutting pads, or some more foam pads, but that is just me.

Hope that helps.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    You're going to want several pads. MF cutting pads generate a lot of heat, and have a higher failure rate (caused by delamination of velcro and pad) because of the excess heat. I would recommend having 4+ MF cutting pads for an entire car.

If you want to extend the life of the pads, switch to a new pad after each panel, and allow it to cool before using it again. Clean the pad after each section with a brush and/or compressed air to keep the fibers from getting clogged and matted down.

I know some people use MF finishing discs, but I personally think foam is a better choice for refining the paint after cutting with MF cutting pads. In my opinion, I would skip the MF finishing pads and either buy more cutting pads, or some more foam pads, but that is just me.

Hope that helps.

-Zach

I am with Zack ^^.
    I have been using the alternating pad method for correcting after having backing plate issues.
    I purchased MF finishing pads, but never used them. I prefer to finish with foam.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried MF cutting pads; only Rupes because that's the system I use. It worked very well, but I can't see using MF pads exclusively. Foam pads just seem so much easier to work with all around.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had issues with the Meguiar's MF pads, but I don't even think I could damage a Buff and Shine MF unless I purposely tried. I think they're cutting pads are much better.

Like you guys, I always finish with foam.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any issues with Meguiar's MF pads, but I agree with others that finishing with foam is better. I do feel MF is superior at getting into tight areas, like around door handles that stick out and emblems. MF pads do however tend to leave faint DA haze which is why foam is currently superior when it comes to finishing. FYI, I actually use the Megs MF Finishing pads to compound with quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I have had issues with the Meguiar's MF pads, but I don't even think I could damage a Buff and Shine MF unless I purposely tried. I think they're cutting pads are much better.

Like you guys, I always finish with foam.

You should look at the Griot's MF pads then. It appears to be the same material as B&S, but the foam is a lot thinner, which translates to better correction.

Griots Garage 6 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/