autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LC CCS Pad Losing Firmness?

Op, how much downward pressure are you using?

I've been able to get away with two pads per compounding, and polishing cycles. Sometimes three, but I've never used more than three, and this was on a trashed Yukon. I also clean my pads after every other section cycle for foam - each cycle with microfiber.

I've got seven cars on the same set of Lake Country Hydrotechs, which I've seen get a really bad rap in the durability department. No concaving, or "dishing" out. The foam has started to wear, but nothing unexpected. I've had great luck with their durability, and even more with their performance.

I've had the same set of green, blue, and red Hex Logic pads since 2013, with about 15 vehicles, and a bunch of testing on them....

Before I start with a new compound or polish, I use it with a yellow megs foam hand applicator, and see how much pressure I need to get the product working. Not to get it perfect, but working. From there I put it on my machine, and use the machine as an extension of my hand, with the understanding that the cutting pad, and power of the machine will get the most out of the product. I look for the "sweet spot" between pressure, and back plate rotation. This also might mean that I need to slow my arm speed, or move up in aggressiveness, but I never increase pressure, and my pads never get hot. At most they might get warm.

I started on a rotary, and very conscious of pressure. The first day, I felt the rotary way too fast, and wished I could get something just a bit slower, and the d/a accomplished this for me. Thus, I've transferred my rotary technique to the d/a.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use much pressure at all, the machine doesn't slow at all or anything, just slight pressure. I really only use pressure on scratch removal. The pads have held up well, I've had this set for about a year, doing about 2 cars a week. I've only encountered the concave center on one pad and that was from running at speed 6 for too long. I clean the pads using the "on the fly" method with a terry towel after each panel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I don't use much pressure at all, the machine doesn't slow at all or anything, just slight pressure. I really only use pressure on scratch removal. The pads have held up well, I've had this set for about a year, doing about 2 cars a week. I've only encountered the concave center on one pad and that was from running at speed 6 for too long. I clean the pads using the "on the fly" method with a terry towel after each panel.

I'd love to see some pics of you get a chance.

I used the pink ccs pads as well. I did notice that one would get really mushy, really quickly, buy they always cut really well. I never had that happen with Orange, or White CCS.

I concaved one green ccs, but I beat the daylights out of it.

As someone mentioned, oversaturation could be a culprit. My pink ccs didn't get weird till I had some water leak from a seam onto the section I was buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics wouldn't really show anything. They don't go flat or sink in the middle or anything. They look the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    Pics wouldn't really show anything. They don't go flat or sink in the middle or anything. They look the same.

Ah, I should have specified regarding the collapsed one. Trying to gather an informal photo database of pad failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12