autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pad size ????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad size ????

As far as pads go, I haven't used 6.5" pads at all on my pc. I do see them being used on some of the videos out on youtube. Some companies (Adams) were only using 6.5" pads on the pc. I assume they worked based on their reputation, but for that machine, they're not optimal - as far as I know. Maybe I need to give 6.5's a spin first..

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    That's great insight into the Duetto!

I haven't had their microfiber pads get warm on me yet, but I'm running them on a pc. Even on my dynabrade plates, I still remove them carefully. Once I get an edge up, I run my fingers along the plate to separate them.

You're getting your Flex next week, and I should be ordering my Duetto next week! My 3401 is hanging with me and the pc as I type!

I really want to try the 7" Rupes microfiber discs on the 3401.... I can't find them anywhere though...
    Oh you'll like that lil' Duetto. Takes a bit of getting used to, and you have to run it pretty much wide open (minimum speed 5) no matter what you're doing with it.

When we first got ours we used it a couple times without the washer mod. Then it seemed as if it wanted to stop rotating too easily. Tried lubricating the shroud/backing plate and that helped a little, (until it needed it again). So I just pulled the plate and put a washer in there. It's a LOT better with the washer. (Although it'll still stop rotating where the GG6 doesn't.)

Yup, my Flex will be here tomorrow.

I'll unpack it and drool for a while, then take the pads & backing plate kit and put them in that fancy "deluxe" Flex bag, wrap it up, and put it under the tree. It'll be cool Christmas Eve to unwrap it when family is here. My nephew used to detail with a guy here in town (that we both have history with), in fact he brought his new 3 Series down from Clemson during summer break for us to buff.... he'll FLIP OUT over it!

In the interim I've been working on another project.

Found some LED PAR38 5000K bulbs at Lowes this weekend on closeout for only $28 each. Bought all they had!

Been building dual-head mounts with switches in them to mount on the ceiling (at the ends of my fluorescent fixtures). Putting switches on each pair so I can run the fluorescents without them, or turn on as many as I want/need when I need the light. All in all I'm putting up 6 boxes, 1 on each end of 2 fixtures, 1 on only 1 end of 2 more fixtures. Of the four fluorescent fixtures, 4 of the LED heads will have 2 bulbs and 2 more will have 1 each (possibly 2).

For now though I need to find more blubs because I'm wanting 8 minimum (have 7), 10 nominal, with up to 12 maximum.
    It's a gonna' get BRIGHT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Oh you'll like that lil' Duetto. Takes a bit of getting used to, and you have to run it pretty much wide open (minimum speed 5) no matter what you're doing with it.

When we first got ours we used it a couple times without the washer mod. Then it seemed as if it wanted to stop rotating too easily. Tried lubricating the shroud/backing plate and that helped a little, (until it needed it again). So I just pulled the plate and put a washer in there. It's a LOT better with the washer. (Although it'll still stop rotating where the GG6 doesn't.)

Yup, my Flex will be here tomorrow.

I'll unpack it and drool for a while, then take the pads & backing plate kit and put them in that fancy "deluxe" Flex bag, wrap it up, and put it under the tree. It'll be cool Christmas Eve to unwrap it when family is here. My nephew used to detail with a guy here in town (that we both have history with), in fact he brought his new 3 Series down from Clemson during summer break for us to buff.... he'll FLIP OUT over it!

In the interim I've been working on another project.

Found some LED PAR38 5000K bulbs at Lowes this weekend on closeout for only $28 each. Bought all they had!

Been building dual-head mounts with switches in them to mount on the ceiling (at the ends of my fluorescent fixtures). Putting switches on each pair so I can run the fluorescents without them, or turn on as many as I want/need when I need the light. All in all I'm putting up 6 boxes, 1 on each end of 2 fixtures, 1 on only 1 end of 2 more fixtures. Of the four fluorescent fixtures, 4 of the LED heads will have 2 bulbs and 2 more will have 1 each (possibly 2).

For now though I need to find more blubs because I'm wanting 8 minimum (have 7), 10 nominal, with up to 12 maximum.
    It's a gonna' get BRIGHT!
    Hmmmm.... How is it compared to the 7424xp?

Can't wait to see pics of the lights!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see pics of the lights!
    Can't compare it to the 7424, as I've been running the GG6 and the Rupes Duetto. I can assure you, if you have a large vehicle, (like a full size pickup) that the GG6 can spin 6˝" pads. Although it's easier to work with if you use 5˝" pads, (which is all I use mine with).

The Rupes Duetto will NEVER work with with anything but their 6" pads or LC 5˝".

The Flex OTOH is the most powerful beast of it's type. Just unpacked it to look and make sure it worked and it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Was talking to Kevin (hateswirls) the other day about his new one..... and he said it took a while for him to get used to it. Seemed to be fighting him from the get-go, just didn't want to behave. Then all of a sudden he hit the sweet spot and he said it got so smooth it was crazy. Keep in mind that he works with a rotary all the time. That however is the one thing that can play against you when you start working with the Flex, because the rotary you don't really have to hold flat, in fact you generally DON'T hold it perfectly flat. (At least not when doing heavy cutting.) Where when you work with something like a Rupes you'll REALLY have to hold that puppy flat or the pad will stop oscillating almost immediately. That's really the only secret (if there is one) to the Flex, keeping the pad flat and it'll not walk around on ya'.

Might get to practice on my kid's 4Runner or maybe on my Cadillac the next couple days.

First however, I'm jonesing to get those lights up. Finished building all the boxes. Used a single gang box with dual-flood sockets (one on each end) and a wall switch with an outlet cover. That way when the fluorescents are one I can leave the LED floods off. Then just reach up (with a pole) and flip on the ones I want as I need them.

Did a test of one box tonight in fact. My wife's family was here, 11 of us total and after tearing into a 15 pound prime rib roast we decided to do a family photo around the tree. My family room has a 15' cathedral ceiling with a brick fireplace in the middle, flanked by French doors. Not a ton of light at night, OR to get light you have to turn on the 2 fan lights. Problem with that is they show up right in the photo. So I took the dual-head LED and put it on the other side of the room, behind the sofa and aimed it at the ceiling. Put the camera on a tripod just beside and behind the floods. Then with just a normal flash (not the built-in on the DSLR) from 16' away the shots came out great. (Although the family was complaining the lights were too bright!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

you can't compare the flex to the pxcp, two different leagues (video below). heck, the GG6 is a big step up from the PCXP. even with firm/heavy pressure while the pad is flat on the surface, it's still pretty hard to stop it from rotating. in all honesty, the PCXP would be my last choice and i would opt for the HF DA instead, a little more power/torque and at half the price. it's been proven reliable and is very bit as reliable as the PCXP or any other traditional DA for that matter...

Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    you can't compare the flex to the pxcp, two different leagues (video below). heck, the GG6 is a big step up from the PCXP. even with firm/heavy pressure while the pad is flat on the surface, it's still pretty hard to stop it from rotating. in all honesty, the PCXP would be my last choice and i would opt for the HF DA instead, a little more power/torque and at half the price. it's been proven reliable and is very bit as reliable as the PCXP or any other traditional DA for that matter...

Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424
    No, that was in regards to the 7424xp vs the Rupes Duetto.

I have some pics on my profile of the 7424xp battling 1000 grit sanding marks, and doing a pretty good job. I also have the Flex 3401 (in my "random" album). Based on my experience with microfiber on the 7424xp, I'm going to try microfiber on the Flex. I hear it's "grabby", but I can probably get around that to some degree.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Try a foam interface pad with MF and the Flex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Try a foam interface pad with MF and the Flex
    I'll have to pick one up. I also finally found a source for the 6/7" Rupes mf pads, which are the ones I like to use. The only ones I've tries anyways.

Thanks for the tip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12