autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wool Pad on DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Wool Pad on DA?

Getting some conflicting information during my research online about this so I thought I'd ask.

I use a GG6(newest gen) for my correction work. I get good results most of the time using MF pads, but I keep seeing much better results(fewer steps with less marring) from people using TB Black wool pads on the Flex 3401. I know there are other factors that go into this, but would these pads work well on my DA, or is the forced rotation the key to why they work so well on the Flex?

I've seen information saying the TB pads are more durable and easy to care for, and do not hold heat like MF pads - but I've also seen the opposite said. I've also seen a couple users say you can burn paint easy with the wool pads on even a DA like the Griots, which struck me as odd, and then I saw that someone said that wool doesn't work well on DAs at all(which is why we have the foamed wool LC pads now?)

Anyone care to set the record straight for me? The Flex is not a viable option for me at the moment but if I can get some increased performance with a pad change I'd love to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool Pad on DA?

i know it doesn't get talked about much around here, but the surbuf pads offer a good amount of correction. of course, it most cases it will need to be followed up to clean up any micro-marring left behind...

do a google search... ' Surbuf Pad paired with M105 and PC is a defect killer! '

Mike Phillips

Long fiber pads don't work well with tools like the Griot's Garage, Porter Cable and Meguiar's dual action polishers.

The fibers just kind of wiggle back and forth. With a direct drive tool the fibers lay down in a single direction where they will then cut the paint as well as work the abrasives against the paint.

I think Todd Helme wrote the best explanation as to why long fiber pads don't work well on dual action polishers. Maybe someone can dig it up?

This is also why Lake Country introduced the thin, short fiber version of the Purple Foamed Wool Pad and this is also why Meguiar's and other companies microfiber pads use a short fiber length as well as the Surbuf pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive gotten my PC with a foamed purple wool pad to do some crazy spot correction work. It works 10x better at removing deep defects compared to using a microfiber cutting pad. Dont believe me? Try it yourself you'll be impressed

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

10x better?

Which specific PFW with which PC?

Faster Cut?

Better Finish?

Costs Less?

Pad lasts longer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Long fiber pads don't work well with tools like the Griot's Garage, Porter Cable and Meguiar's dual action polishers.

The fibers just kind of wiggle back and forth. With a direct drive tool the fibers lay down in a single direction where they will then cut the paint as well as work the abrasives against the paint.

I think Todd Helme wrote the best explanation as to why long fiber pads don't work well on dual action polishers. Maybe someone can dig it up?

This is also why Lake Country introduced the thin, short fiber version of the Purple Foamed Wool Pad and this is also why Meguiar's and other companies microfiber pads use a short fiber length as well as the Surbuf pads.

Mike I know the Tuf Buff wool pads aren't sold at Autogeek so I'm not sure how familiar you may be with them. I'm not sure if they would be considered long fiber or not. I just measured mine. Looks like the fibers are about an inch long.

And they actually work pretty good on the Rupes 15. I did a little work on my brothers car not too long ago. Didn't get as much out as I would have liked but you can see how jacked up the paint was.

And to be honest I was thinking the TB pads could work better on the GG6 as it has more power than the Rupes. I still have a few more panels to compound on my brothers car and I was gonna try out the GG6 next time to see how it worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't take any 50/50 shots or before pictures and just took some quick after pictures with my cellphone after reading this thread. So sorry, but these side view mirrors were in really bad shape.

I used:

TUF Buf 3"
    Lake Country 3" polishing pad
    FG400
    M205
    IPA
    Opti Coat

(sorry for the ugly cell pictures)

I am still not sure how I feel about MF pads, I really do like Wool pads on a DA when trying to get really good cut. I then just use a foam polishing pad for the polishing stage.

I just used the 6" Lake Country Hybrid wool pad on my Rupes with FG400, to correct 3000 grit DA sanding marks on my entire hood and worked great. I love that combo to remove sanding marks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Porter Cable and the LC 4" purple wool pads and have good results with Meg's 105. It isn't as good or fast as my Makita rotary but I don't worry about sling, burning or swirls either. I have noticed the purple pads don't seem to last long under heavy use. When I use them it is at 5.5 to 6 with a lot of pressure at first, slow movement and ease up to finish. One or two cars and they begin to be less effective.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

dpk20x

Under those door handles looks brutal

Were you able to get those out by hand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    dpk20x

Under those door handles looks brutal

Were you able to get those out by hand
    I haven't tried to get those out yet. Ran out of time and energy the other day. I'll try to hit them with some M101 one of these days mainly just to see if I can remove them. Figure if I can fix those I can fix just about anything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast