autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Zephyr - Blue or Green Pad? What's your preference?

Almost afraid to start a thread on this in the event I missed that "one" post which has the answer.

For those who are using Rupes Zephyr for correction and sticking with the Rupes pads, which pad do you prefer to use? Blue or Green? And Microfiber or Foam?

This what I know so far:

- Rupes colour coded the blue compound to work with blue pad so it doesn't take much guess work
    - Mike Philips has a video demonstrating the cutting ability of blue pads with Zephyr and the results are amazing, but is it 'too much cut?'
    - the microfiber pad looks to eat up a lot of product and I don't know how I feel about that in terms of being cost effective
    - In some of Paul Dalton's videos he uses the green foam pad with Zephyr, maybe a green foam pad is enough cut for most cars?

So what is you guys prefer or reasoning behind your choice?

I have the LHR 15ES and LHR 75E Mini with Zephyr + Diamond Ultra Fine en route and I want to decide between the blue or green pad. I get the feeling if I'm not doing any wetsanding then the green foam pad might be sufficient to corrections with ease

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Zephyr - Blue or Green Pad? What's your preference?

I would designate the blue pad to strictly compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with going by the results of what:
    "the test spot", while using "the least aggressive(s) first"...will provide?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If zephir and the green pad do what I need, that is what I use, if we need more,blue it is. This justs save me having 2 compounds. I have also used zephir on the yellow and it worked great as a one step on a Porsche .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    What's wrong with going by the results of what:
    "the test spot", while using "the least aggressive(s) first"...will provide?

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I actually started the thread when I was putting my cart together. I will always do a test spot with least aggressive first

At the time I did not want to buy more pads than I needed to.

FYI - I have opted for green foam pads with blue zephyr

Mike Phillips

I'm with Wes in that I choose to use the blue foam cutting pad with the Zephir Gloss Coarse compound when I need correction power.

I have to be honest though and say I've never tired the compound with the green pad. That's because I found the blue pad and compound combo to work as stated by Rupes and then any follow-up polishing is taken care of by either the yellow pad and Keramik Gloss Fine Cut Polish or the white pad with the Diamond Ultra Fine Cut Polish.

p.s.

Every time I chime in on one of these Rupes threads I find myself needed pictures of the products because the pictures have the exact names of the products. To get to the pictures, I type the below into Google and the first search results is my review with around 30 to 40 pictures.

Copy and paste this into Google

Rupes Bigfoot Review Mike Phillips

Get to this review with tons of pictures and information plus links to all the products to the store.

The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

From the most to the least aggressive...

Zephir Gloss - Coarse Compound - Blue Lid & Blue Foam Pad
    Zephir Gloss is engineered to be used with the aggressive blue foam cutting pad to remove deeper below surface paint defects while polishing out to a hologram-free finish. Zephir Gloss is aggressive enough to remove down to P1500 sanding marks.

Quarz Gloss - Medium Cut Polish - Green Lid & Green Foam Pad
    Quarz Gloss is engineered to be used with the medium aggressive green foam polishing pad to remove medium depth below surface paint defects while polishing out to a clear, high gloss finish. Quarz Gloss is aggressive enough to remove down to P2500 sanding marks.

Keramik Gloss - Fine Cut Polish - Yellow Lid & Yellow Foam Pad
    Keramik Gloss is engineered to be used with the soft yellow foam finishing pad to remove fine or shallow below surface paint defects while polishing out to an LSP-ready, flawless show room new finish.

Diamond - Ultra Fine Cut Polish - White Lid & White Foam Pad
    Diamond is engineered to be used with the ultra soft foam finishing pad to remove maximize gloss, clarity, depth and shine. Diamond Ultra Fine Cut Polish is an optional step for anyone looking to create a true show car finish.

On Autogeek.net

Rupes LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher

Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound 500 ml.

Rupes Quarz Gloss Medium Gel Compound 500 ml.

Rupes Keramik Gloss Fine Gel Polish 500 ml.

Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish 500 ml.

RUPES Color Matched 7" Foam Buffing Pads

All RUPES Polishers, Pads and Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

The blue microfiber pad