autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't get the hang of MF pads

I'm trying to embrace change from my trusty foam flat pads so I bought Lake Country 5.25 Microfiber DA Ultra Fiber Pads.
    I have been using them on the panel the same as the orange foam pad, same passes, arm speed, etc but the cut is nowhere close to the orange pad with the same compound. I have cleaned the pad with air after every section.
    Heres a shot after one pass with compound, the right half is MF (still not acceptable) and the left is B&S orange flat pad.

Any tips on getting better cut?
    Another question I have is how many MF pads do you use per car? I found with spraying the pad with air after every section it didnt get dirty at all.... is doing a car with one pad odd?

THANK YOU in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Can't get the hang of MF pads

What kind of compound are you using with the LC MF pads? The LC MF pads are very finicky with certain compounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pad is dirty you just can't see the paint on it thus the reason it no longer cuts. You may need to agitate it with a pad cleaning system or bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get the hang of MF pads

i know it doesn't help you with the LC MF pads, but i find that the best MF pads are the Buff and Shine.

they are superior and cut and finish great. the only drawback is they are black so it is a bit tough to see them when cleaning...but other than that they are great!
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a few MF cutting pads from CG'S and must say I don't care for them.
    Guess I love my foam pads too much

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is your not changing pads due to being dirty, but more to keep the heat build up down. I just ordered Megs MF pads a month ago, however I have not tried them out yet as I haven't done any paint corrections lately and honestly don't want to test them out on a clients car. I will probably end up doing my TDI with them at some point to get used to using them. From what I have seen most people use 2-3 MF pads on a car and keep switching just to keep the heat down on the pad to avoid pad failure. Also you want to clean after every section pass like you have been doing with either a brush or air.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats really odd because I get a lot more cut with LC MF pads then with their tangerine. Like getting better results with 2 passes vs 3 with the foam. I have noticed that they like Meg. Ultimate Compound better than the Menz compounds, thats all I use now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    What kind of compound are you using with the LC MF pads? The LC MF pads are very finicky with certain compounds.
    Agreed.

SMAT products such as d300 work better with mf pads over DAT products. BTW, which machine are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

It's IMPERATIVE to brush or blow out MF pads after every section. If you're using Meg's compounds, prime the pad thoroughly.

LC MF pads really like DRIER polishes(M101, M100, M105). Wet polishes don't do so well with LC MF pads. Other MF pads(Meg's, Optimum, etc..) do better with "wet" polishes. In general, I use SMAT proiducts over DAT like Mike(smack) pointed out with MF pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I use Menz FG400, D300, 105 and 205 with no problem.mthe only MF pads I use are Meg's. Like everyone has said they need to be clean and cool. You don't have to put a lot of pressure let the pad and compound do the work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast