autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Flat and CCS pad questions

I recently went on a buying spree and getting 4 inch CCS spot buff and CCS 5.5 inch pads in numerous colors. Mostly the 4 inch. I have some flat 5.5 pads in orange, white, black and blue. CCS 5.5 pads only white, black, and red.

Im seeing a lot of you guys recommending the flat pads over the CCS pads. I will keep some of my spot buff pads for window polishing and spot buffing. The plan is to get some flat pads in orange, white, and blue.

My questions are:
    *With the little amount of polishing I do, and the newer cars that I polish, Im thinking the yellow pad would be out?

*I plan on using my blue and red pads for waxes and sealants. Do you guys have a different pad for each product? I was thinking about getting a pad just for my personal truck and use JUST my power lock with my blue or red pad?

*Do the Hybrid pads cut or finish better than the earlier foam pads? Are these something worth getting?

*Im not sure where a black pad actually falls into my work. I mainly only use orange and white pads, red and blue for wax or sealant application. Anyone use the black pads since the white pad basically finishes down nice with a product like menzerna 4000 or 4500?

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Flat and CCS pad questions

Black pads: after polishing, I like this pad for Prima Amigo or if not polishing and only want a wax base or enhancing the gloss.

Good idea to use dedicated pad for some sealants since it is a bear to wash it all out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    Black pads: after polishing, I like this pad for Prima Amigo or if not polishing and only want a wax base or enhancing the gloss.

Good idea to use dedicated pad for some sealants since it is a bear to wash it all out.
    You use the black pads to refine the finish more? I guess I was under the assumption the white pad was the one that would make the finish "POP" after defect removal.

The black pad could be used with a fine polish, being as it has no cut, to make the paint glossier?

I agree about washing the wax or sealant out hence the reasoning behind me wanting dedicated pads per product.

Im also wondering where the gold jeweling pad falls into my work? Im assuming this is used with fine polishes also to get the most gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the black/grey pad for finishing polishes(optimum finishing, menz 85rd/106fa and etc).

Light green pads for one step like power finish, 106fa and optimum hyper polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I use the black/grey pad for finishing polishes(optimum finishing, menz 85rd/106fa and etc).

Light green pads for one step like power finish, 106fa and optimum hyper polish.
    Is the black pad better at finishing polish with products like Menzerna 4000 or 4500? I guess im confused since Ive been always using a white pad with those products? Since the white pad has a small cut, wouldn't this help the polish "bite" more and finish the paint better and quicker? Im thinking less passes than a black pad and same combo? Correct me if im wrong.

I haven't even looked into the green pads. What does it offer and fit into the line? Would you go to the green after orange etc..?

What is your take on CCS vs Flat

Post Thanks / Like

The black/grey lets the finishing polish do its thing. No chance for the pad to cause marring. It works good with menzerna finishing polishes by letting the abrasives diminish and leave a nice gloss. The pad is strong enough to help eliminate minor marring and fine swirls.

There are 2 green pads. The one I use for a one step is the light green which would fall between the white and black/grey. I just used it with the optimum hyper polish on my wife's car. It got the swirls out and left a nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    Is the black pad better at finishing polish with products like Menzerna 4000 or 4500? I guess im confused since Ive been always using a white pad with those products? Since the white pad has a small cut, wouldn't this help the polish "bite" more and finish the paint better and quicker? Im thinking less passes than a black pad and same combo? Correct me if im wrong.

I haven't even looked into the green pads. What does it offer and fit into the line? Would you go to the green after orange etc..?

What is your take on CCS vs Flat

Post Thanks / Like

I recently went on a buying spree and getting 4 inch CCS spot buff and CCS 5.5 inch pads in numerous colors. Mostly the 4 inch. I have some flat 5.5 pads in orange, white, black and blue. CCS 5.5 pads only white, black, and red.

Im seeing a lot of you guys recommending the flat pads over the CCS pads. I will keep some of my spot buff pads for window polishing and spot buffing. The plan is to get some flat pads in orange, white, and blue.

My questions are:
    *With the little amount of polishing I do, and the newer cars that I polish, Im thinking the yellow pad would be out? I would think so

*I plan on using my blue and red pads for waxes and sealants. Do you guys have a different pad for each product? I was thinking about getting a pad just for my personal truck and use JUST my power lock with my blue or red pad? Either pad will do fine; don't get too confused that they co-exist in the same universe. Red/Blue, Red or Blue.... your call as both don't have cut. It's personal preference.

*Do the Hybrid pads cut or finish better than the earlier foam pads? Are these something worth getting? Personally, I believe Hybrid pads will last a little longer than non-Hybrid. However, longevity will be based on usage and technique so your mileage will vary. Whether you use one type of pad vs. another, based on your "little amount of polishing" comment, is entirely up to you.

Now there is a difference between flat and ccs pads. And there are previous posts that discuss this in detail. Search "flat vs ccs" and you will see; even Google the phrase. If you are sticking with Menzerna products then you get a smoother polishing process marrying this product line with flat pads.

*Im not sure where a black pad actually falls into my work. I mainly only use orange and white pads, red and blue for wax or sealant application. Anyone use the black pads since the white pad basically finishes down nice with a product like menzerna 4000 or 4500?

Finishing pads help amp-up the gloss with minimal cutting ability. It also helps eliminate micro-marring that can be introduced as you polish. Some people see a difference when they "finish" after "polishing".

Cutting pad = Compounding IS1500 or other..
    Polishing pad = Polishing SF4000 and/or SF4500
    Finishing pad = Finishing SF4500

Note that you can polish with SF4500 and then follow-up and finish with SF4500. Also, note that I am separating "finish" vs. "polish" only to help you understand how a black/grey finishing pad can be used in the process. It's all polishing when you get down to it.

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Finishing pads help amp-up the gloss with minimal cutting ability. It also helps eliminate micro-marring that can be introduced as you polish. Some people see a difference when they "finish" after "polishing".

Cutting pad = Compounding IS1500 or other..
    Polishing pad = Polishing SF4000 and/or SF4500
    Finishing pad = Finishing SF4500

Note that you can polish with SF4500 and then follow-up and finish with SF4500. Also, note that I am separating "finish" vs. "polish" only to help you understand how a black/grey finishing pad can be used in the process. It's all polishing when you get down to it.
    Gotcha. So now im feeling that black pad does have a place in my arsenal.
    The white pad could induce micro marring with fine polishes like the 4000 or 4500. By using the black pad, the polish is doing its work by itself and breaking down revealing a glossy finish without the possibility of marring?

I mainly use my orange and white pads for scratch or swirl removal. Me and my wife have newer vehicles (2013) and I only use these pads for spot scratch removal. I think I might have to try the black pad with a fine polish now. Ive always gone straight to the white pad after using orange in the past.

thanks. guys

Post Thanks / Like

another quick question guys. I was looking for some flat 4 inch spot buff pads from lake country. It seems all I can find are the hydro tech ones. I have ccs ones, but was wondering what happened to the flat ones?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

another quick question guys. I was looking for some flat 4 inch spot buff pads from lake country. It seems all I can find are the hydro tech ones. I have ccs ones, but was wondering what happened to the flat ones?

thanks
    doesn't look like AG carries them, DI has LC flat pads in both 3" and 4" sizes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast