autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thumbs Down on LC HT Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    OMG if it's one of those old red & white ones that came with the G100 they are terrible.
    Nope, got rid of that one a long time ago!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And because I know there are millions of these polishers in the world I wrote an article just for the first generation Porter Cable DA Polishers...

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
    How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers
    Yep, read it....that's why I got the LC pads for my old machine.

Post Thanks / Like

The LC Hydro, Flat and CCS are all 7/8" thin while the Meguiar's W7006, W8006 and W9006 are all at just about an 1 1/4", that's about twice as thick as the LC pad. (notice the Megs MF pads are thin?)
    Mike, am I missing something here?

7/8 x 2 = 1 3/4 inch which is a whole half inch bigger than 1 1/4 inch...

Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

There are many different combinations of hook and loop (velcro). Hook and loop are matched like a nut and bolt. Some mfgrs. use an aggressive loop and some use a shorter nap length loop. This will affect on how the backing plate sticks to the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pad Man View Post
    There are many different combinations of hook and loop (velcro). Hook and loop are matched like a nut and bolt. Some mfgrs. use an aggressive loop and some use a shorter nap length loop. This will affect on how the backing plate sticks to the pad.
    Oh boy...another thing to worry about...it's not bad enough I had to add meteors to my list this week?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Mike, am I missing something here?

7/8 x 2 = 1 3/4 inch which is a whole half inch bigger than 1 1/4 inch...

Hey thanks for taking the time to do the actual math. I don't do math in my head any more so I just took a quick stab at it.

The BIG picture is thicker pads don't work as well as thinner pads on da tools like the PC.

They'lll rotate under pressure till they start to get wet with product and then performance falls off...

That was the point I made here back in 2009 on this forum....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

With any process using a first generation PC style polisher, as soon as you notice the pad to stop rotating under pressure, one way to restore pad rotation and oscillation is to switch to a clean, dry pad. Of course this means having more clean, dry pads on hand.

When I went to buff out a 1954 Corvette for Corvette Mike I took lots of extra polishing pads because at that time the only DA style polishers available were the first generation polishers and I knew as my pads became wet with product they would stop rotating and the job would take longer.

This car had an antique lacquer paint job on it so I didn't want to use rotary buffer but instead play it safe and use the PC.

I count 7 yellow polishing pads in the below picture, as one pad would quit rotating effectively I would swap it out to a clean, dry pad.

And this is why I normally always type each and every word so carefully with everything I write.

Thanks Roshan...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Pad Man View Post

Thank you so much for chiming in Eric. I had a meeting to attend first thing this morning and after that I was going to send you the link to this thread. I'm glad you found it and chimed in already.

You know I love your products and trust they are of the very highest quality from experience. So when I see comments that don't reflect what I know from first hand experience I like to find out what's going on and make sure accurate information is being presented.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for taking the time to do the actual math. I don't do math in my head any more so I just took a quick stab at it.

The BIG picture is thicker pads don't work as well as thinner pads on da tools like the PC.

They'lll rotate under pressure till they start to get wet with product and then performance falls off...

And this is why I normally always type each and every word so carefully with everything I write.

Thanks Roshan...

:lauging:
    Haha ok I was just making sure we were on the same page! I do like my low profile hydrotechs more than my normal sized ones
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

It's more likely the backing plate that's the issue, not the pad itself. LC backing plates grab onto pads a lot more than the Megs backing plate does. I have to really work to get pads off of the LC backing plate, but the Megs they come right off. I use H20 pads and MF pads on both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    It's more likely the backing plate that's the issue, not the pad itself. LC backing plates grab onto pads a lot more than the Megs backing plate does. I have to really work to get pads off of the LC backing plate, but the Megs they come right off. I use H20 pads and MF pads on both.
    I notice the same thing. I use a 3.5 LC plate for my 4" Megs pads. I really have to use some effort to get them off.

On my Megs plates, the pads come off easy when needed. You can also tell the quality difference in a Megs plate vs an LC plate. Hence, wont be buying any more LC plates in the future.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast