autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New SUV - LC Flat White or LC Hydro Tangerine Pad

I just sold my 02 Blazer Xtreme and I'm going to be detailing my new 2012 Rav4 Sport in 'Classic Silver Metallic' this Saturday and I can't decide which pad I'm going use to polish using Menzerna SF4000. I plan on using my Flex 3401 for the majority of the machine work and then a 7424 on the smaller bits and to apply my LSP. I know this is extremely vague but which would you choose, the LC Flat White or LC Tangerine Hydro pad?

I'm not limited to either pad or system, I have a full array of both pad systems at my disposal so if anyone thinks these may be too aggressive I could step down to a Flat Black or Crimson Hydro pad instead. I should just probably do a test section and let it tell me what it needs, but I thought I would throw this out there and hear the group consensus.

Thankfully, the dealership didn't do any real damage while they had the vehicle in their possession, so it shouldn't be too bad to get perfect and then seal with some Powerlock now and then top with some Colorlock the following weekend. I'm just having trouble deciding which pad and system I'm going to try first.
    07 TBSS AWD 3SS (Black) - 09 TBSS 2WD 3SS (Silver)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd definitely do a test spot like you said. To me, being that its a new car and lighter in color, I'd forget about the orange pad and start out with trying a black finishing pad. You're just giving it a light polish to remove any possible marring or defects, it shouldn't be bad enough to where you need to go aggressive. Start out with a finishing pad and if that doesn't do the trick, then a white polishing pad should be more than sufficient. Why remove more clear than you need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New SUV - LC Flat White or LC Hydro Tangerine Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Ryry11 View Post
    I'd definitely do a test spot like you said. To me, being that its a new car and lighter in color, I'd forget about the orange pad and start out with trying a black finishing pad. You're just giving it a light polish to remove any possible marring or defects, it shouldn't be bad enough to where you need to go aggressive. Start out with a finishing pad and if that doesn't do the trick, then a white polishing pad should be more than sufficient. Why remove more clear than you need to.
    Thank you for your input. The more I thought about it after writing, the more I think I was taking a little bit much of an aggressive approach.

Post Thanks / Like

I would jump right to the white hybrid with 4000 and go from there on the test spot. Yes it may be a bit more aggressive than a finishing pad but you will get more correction as well as a beautiful finishing ability with that combo. With a finishing pad you wont get all the correction and you may still have to go with the white pad.

It also sounds like a new vehicle so its going to need more correction than you may think.

Dont mean to go agaisnt the grain of what we have learned about using the least aggressive process to get the job done but you will get better results with the white pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I would jump right to the white hybrid with 4000 and go from there on the test spot. Yes it may be a bit more aggressive than a finishing pad but you will get more correction as well as a beautiful finishing ability with that combo. With a finishing pad you wont get all the correction and you may still have to go with the white pad.

It also sounds like a new vehicle so its going to need more correction than you may think.

Dont mean to go agaisnt the grain of what we have learned about using the least aggressive process to get the job done but you will get better results with the white pad.
    I've seen some rough new vehicles, but this one isn't that bad. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the hybrid pad system yet. Still waiting to see more real world results. I'll definitely do a test spot to dial in my process first. Thanks again for the input.