autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb MF Pads, which one and why?

Whasup guys?

With the risk of going down the same road again, (although never found the answers I'm looking for with previous threads) I will attempt to start yet another thread on Microfiber Pads.

Anyone that's read my posts knows I have a decent amount of pads on hand, (especially for a weekend warrior type). That being said; if I don't get my hands on some MF pads I'm going to go nuts!

My wifes Denali in Red tint coat metallic (sorta' a candy apple looking deal) has its fair share of type 2 water spots on the hood and roof. I've lightly buffed it with 105/205 as a trial to see how it'd come out. No swirls, but.... then topped with M21 / UW / M26 and while it's slick, passes all hand and baggie tests, I still know it has etching.

I want to do a bit better and hit it with 101 and MF pads. (Plus.... my 99 Caddy D'Elegance which I have no room in the garage for, yet doesn't get driven 500 miles a year needs some love too.)

I planned on grabbing both cutting AND polishing pads but am starting to wonder if I really need polishing pads. I mean, I've got maybe 85± assorted foam pads, mostly LC, 4, 5˝, 6˝ flat & CCS that can accomplish the polishing duties. But hey, if polishing with them is a good thing, AND is something that will work with the products I'll likely use, (205/UP, WGDGPS, WGTSR 3.0, Griots etc) it might be worth a try.

The bulk of the work needs to be cutting though and thats why I'm asking. I see any number of choices for pads, Surbuf, Optimum, Lake Country and of course Meguiar's. I'm only interested in 5˝" units and would really like some input.

I've read everything where some guys say they had pad failures. Most of those seem to be from 1; speed to high, 2; too much product and of course, 3; too much pressure. I've got a handle of that after working with 5˝ flats and the GG. It would likely melt one of those suckers in 90 seconds if you loaded it to dripping, set it on race speed and let-er-rip while leanin' hard on it. I just want a pad that'll provide maximum cut with the 101 short of having to wet sand the darned entire top of the Denali.

So what say we: (In order of importance)
    1. Who's used what?
    2. Would you use them again?
    3. Most importantly, how durable are the pads you recommend?
    4. How did it turn out?
    5. What compound/polish did you use them with?

As usual, thanks guys in advance for what I hope is great information, and something I can put together before the close of business tomorrow to get an order in. (After all, new BOGO's coming out tomorrow..... whispers mf towels, 460 mf towels, 530 mf towels)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Pads, which one and why?

I've no experience with MF pads but I do know 101 was designed for foam pads.
    You'd have much more cut with 101 on a foam than 105 on a foam.
    You'd have much more cut with 105 on a MF than 105 on a foam.

I'd suggest trying 105 with MF before taking the plunge and buying a bottle of 101.
    07 Mazda 6i

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dooyaunastan View Post
    I've no experience with MF pads but I do know 101 was designed for foam pads.
    You'd have much more cut with 101 on a foam than 105 on a foam.
    You'd have much more cut with 105 on a MF than 105 on a foam.

I'd suggest trying 105 with MF before taking the plunge and buying a bottle of 101.
    Yeah, I know 101 has more cut, which is exactly what I need. I've used 105 for some time now, and am looking very forward to trying out 101. Just hate how unpredictable 105 is related to the working time(s). One paint may be 2+ section passes, another you're lucky to get 1 full pass. Solution of course is to make smaller sections. It's still a PITA though.

Just figured with my 2 worst cars I can experiment with MF pads and the combo of 101 / 105 / UC and probably will pickup a 16oz bottle of MF correction compound to try as well. In case you've not seen it, I've found (while experimenting) I can prime a pad with UC, then use the 3 pea sized drop method of 105 and get it to do pretty well (overall). I can then take that pad and do most of a hood with it, cleaning on the fly and all. From what I've seen so far on 101 though it just works, and works well, with longer working times. That's what makes it so interesting, albeit it's not exactly cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguiar's MF pads with Menzerna FG 400 all the time with great results. I have used a few other MF pads but still go back to Meguiar's.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Cut it with microfiber, and finish it with foam.... best of both worlds!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I use Meguiar's MF pads with Menzerna FG 400 all the time with great results. I have used a few other MF pads but still go back to Meguiar's.
    Todd
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I agree

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I agree

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I had the Meg's pads in my cart and started reading threads where guys said they just don't hold up. I honestly don't care what they cost as they are all close price wise. I'm just not going to go through beta testing on 2 ~ 3 different brands if ya' know what I mean.

I don't need them all the time and will probably only order 4 this time around to see if I can do the correction on my hard GM "type 2 water spots" with them.

While I've got y'all here.... ideas on clay replacement, heavy contaminate removal pads anyone? Up to very agressive, but not all the way to wet sanding perhaps?

I say that because I get this nagging feeling I might need more on a project or two in the near future.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A yellow lc pad would be the most aggressive. However an orange pad should be enough. For clay replacement I like Mothers or Meguiars. They work great and are readily available at most auto part stores

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    A yellow lc pad would be the most aggressive. However an orange pad should be enough. For clay replacement I like Mothers or Meguiars. They work great and are readily available at most auto part stores
    +1

I prefer Meg's white consumer clay over mothers. Mother' clay is really really mild, doesnt clean as well as Meg's. Its not as pliable as Meguiars.

If you need a bit more cleaning ability, upgrade to Meguiar's professional mild clay (blue), or you can use some Clay Magic which works really well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast