autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF Pads, which one and why?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    A yellow lc pad would be the most aggressive. However an orange pad should be enough. For clay replacement I like Mothers or Meguiars. They work great and are readily available at most auto part stores
    Sorry, meant as a new product *instead* of clay. I use Meg's white mostly, as well as blue, and have used Mothers in the past. Have a block of Griot's that's not been opened yet btw.

I was thinking along the line of nanoskin and such, just not up to date on what all is out there.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I guess I misunderstood lol. Myself personally, I would try Thx CG claybar washmit. I really want to try it

Post Thanks / Like

I came in here hoping for the answer to another question so I'll ask it now.

Meguiars vs Optimum vs Lake Country

Which microfiber pad and why?

I've used the Optimum and it was good but it fell apart after one car. The microfiber just peeled away from the foam.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianch View Post
    I came in here hoping for the answer to another question so I'll ask it now.

Meguiars vs Optimum vs Lake Country

Which microfiber pad and why?

I've used the Optimum and it was good but it fell apart after one car. The microfiber just peeled away from the foam.
    Can't say about all of them, but I went ahead with the Meg's pads and of course their backing plate. That combo seems to run cooler than using their pads with the LC backing plate FOR SURE! I even measured it with my IR thermometer.

The biggest thing about MF pads is pulling them away from the surface, using LOTS of air to clean them, and clean them after EVERY section pass. Don't do more than a single panel with one either. For that matter I've yet to do an entire hood or roof with one. Just clean it and sit it aside to cool and grab another one.

First time I used 4 for a vehicle, (with constant cleaning). Next time I took my time and cleaned between all passes, let them stay cool and managed to (with a break) half way through only use 2.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the megs and had one delaminate from the velcro, but i think that was user error, picked up some lc ones to try out talk about a lint monster! I need to toss them in the wash tonight befor i try them out, as recomendation i can't really give one as i have not used them enought

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only used megs mf pads so can't compare but I can give u my experience with them..
    I was like u wasnt sure which ones to get or if even to get them..
    But I jumped on board with megs for both pads compound and finish wax.
    I have used them on two cars one was a new black z71 the other a white caddy. And I used the cutting disc with m205 on the black truck and finished with a foam pad. Turned out really good.
    The caddy needed more correction so I tried uc witch cutting disc but needed more cut. So I used the correction compound and it was just right then used the finishing pad and wax and it turned out a lot better than I expected..
    To me megs pads are the one to get. Of course knowing how to use them is most important I've read a lot of people saying they fell apart only to later read they had something wrong..

Sorry I couldn't offer comparisons but I hope this helps some.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Megs MF discs and have had great success with them. Now there is a learning curve to use them properly.

What I have found is that you must clean them nearly after every section you do. Cleaning with compressed air is the best way. I have tried the brush method and even after cleaning them and using very little product the pads would become over saturated.

I found myself switching the pads often in fear of the pads becoming too hot causing the Velcro to separate from the foam.

The saying that goes "A little bit goes a long way" when dealing with product and MF pads is VERY true. After the pad is primed, four pea sized dots is all you need for the section. After working the section clean those pads.

Speed 4 is the max with these pads. Anything above that you run the risk of failure and or the pad becoming warped.

Thats my 2 cents about the MF pads. They are great once you get how to use them.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akj View Post
    I've only used megs mf pads so can't compare but I can give u my experience with them..
    I was like u wasnt sure which ones to get or if even to get them..
    But I jumped on board with megs for both pads compound and finish wax.
    I have used them on two cars one was a new black z71 the other a white caddy. And I used the cutting disc with m205 on the black truck and finished with a foam pad. Turned out really good.
    The caddy needed more correction so I tried uc witch cutting disc but needed more cut. So I used the correction compound and it was just right then used the finishing pad and wax and it turned out a lot better than I expected..
    To me megs pads are the one to get. Of course knowing how to use them is most important I've read a lot of people saying they fell apart only to later read they had something wrong..

Sorry I couldn't offer comparisons but I hope this helps some.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    I have used the Megs MF discs and have had great success with them. Now there is a learning curve to use them properly.

What I have found is that you must clean them nearly after every section you do. Cleaning with compressed air is the best way. I have tried the brush method and even after cleaning them and using very little product the pads would become over saturated.

I found myself switching the pads often in fear of the pads becoming too hot causing the Velcro to separate from the foam.

The saying that goes "A little bit goes a long way" when dealing with product and MF pads is VERY true. After the pad is primed, four pea sized dots is all you need for the section. After working the section clean those pads.

Speed 4 is the max with these pads. Anything above that you run the risk of failure and or the pad becoming warped.

Thats my 2 cents about the MF pads. They are great once you get how to use them.
    PLUS

The Megs system is really nice. Going from working with at least a dozen different (foam) pads of 2~3 colors to 4 MF pads (and a lot of air) on a single vehicle is something to behold. Wasn't sure about the finishing pads and wax at first, but on a hard clear they finish out quite well. Don't work well on my Infiniti paint (for finishing) but on factory GM cars (so far) they've both done well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post

+2 very well said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Thanks guys, I had the Meg's pads in my cart and started reading threads where guys said they just don't hold up. I honestly don't care what they cost as they are all close price wise. I'm just not going to go through beta testing on 2 ~ 3 different brands if ya' know what I mean.

I don't need them all the time and will probably only order 4 this time around to see if I can do the correction on my hard GM "type 2 water spots" with them.

While I've got y'all here.... ideas on clay replacement, heavy contaminate removal pads anyone? Up to very agressive, but not all the way to wet sanding perhaps?

I say that because I get this nagging feeling I might need more on a project or two in the near future.
    Tony,

Make sure the Meg's MF pads you're buying have "made in the USA" stamped on the back. The adhesive has been upgraded on these pads. If you buy old stock, you will be more than disappointed. The Meg's MF pads give the best performance, but the first run, there was major problems with the adhesive delaminating. The "made in the USA" improved adhesive is MUCH better! They do not delaminate. With this improvement, the Meg's MF pads are hands down the best!!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast