autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

microfiber vs foam pads?

What do you prefer and why? Ready ... set ... GO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use both on pretty much every car. MF for cutting and foam for finishing. The MF offers more cut while still finishing very well and foam just finishes better IME.

I will say that if I could get MF to finish as well or better than foam I would use them for everything. There is something about them that makes me like using them more than foam... maybe its partially because I feel they can get in closer to trim and emblems safely and they do a better job at cleaning out those areas too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber vs foam pads?

I love mf pads. As much as possible if i can skip using foam, i will

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad you just might be 100% MF after Sept 22nd!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like MF most of the time, as long as I find the right one. Megs & Surbuff were good but not too durable. just got the LC MF pads and first impressions is that the cut is not as good as the Megs or Surbuff.

Oxidized paint I like Foam pads better, IMO easier to clean in between panels since i dont use compressed air, only a brush.

I agree with above that MF you have better confidence around emblems and corners. Also much less skipping allowing you to kick up speed if needed. Sometimes a foam cut pad is skipping all over the place on my GG @ speed 5. MF on speed 6 the thing just spins smoothly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I use both on pretty much every car. MF for cutting and foam for finishing. The MF offers more cut while still finishing very well and foam just finishes better IME.

I will say that if I could get MF to finish as well or better than foam I would use them for everything. There is something about them that makes me like using them more than foam... maybe its partially because I feel they can get in closer to trim and emblems safely and they do a better job at cleaning out those areas too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do like how they clean up after themselves, so to speak. Especially since I use mostly OCC products.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@Superior Shine View Post
    Chad you just might be 100% MF after Sept 22nd!!
    Do tell?

I test everything on black paint using known controls. If it passes my black paint test then that will be a new benchmark for microfiber pads.

Until then, I'm like Chad and will stick by what I've said in the past,

"Fiber pads cut better than foam pads but to date, foam pads finish nicer. Black paint, whether it's single stage or basecoat clear coat, factory sprayed or painted at a body shop, if the pads work they prove themselves on black paint. If it doesn't work on black paint it isn't working on any color of paint it's just you're eyes cannot detect the results"

Always looking forward to new technology, anything that makes reaching the goal easier, faster and more bubba-proof is always a good thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to high jack this thread but it my question seems on topic-- I have two cars to maintain--new VW Golf and 2007 VW Passat both with hard clearcoat and both in very good condition--just normal light wash induced micro marring from time to time. So, is there any advantage to using MF pads rather than foam in this situation??

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    So, is there any advantage to using MF pads rather than foam in this situation??

Yes, they will cut out the defects faster by abrading the paint faster.

Then you can finish in either microfiber or foam depending upon your expectations, criteria for an acceptable finish together with your ability to both inspect and detect accurate results.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Hydro-Tech pad guy. A lot of the time I can be LSP ready after Cyan. They are also a lot more durable than the MF pads (note, I have not tried the new lake country MF pads)
    Also I have a pad washer so cleaning is a breeze on foam, it doesn't work well on MF pads.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast